Putting Milage/ Kilometres Back In Thailand

scorpio

I get to thinking nothing illegal when it comes to motors.

At four year old that's 23,000 miles ( over 36,000 K per year ) and at three year old 31,000 miles so I would say high mileage.

I don't know for sure but if the ECU was checked and it's got some kind of service record, maybe you could find yourself in trouble.

Do they record the mileage at tax/rego time each year ?

no, and not on transfer ownership, and not on 6 year/later inspections, so basicly never, except service records

only 2 tracks

odo, easy to diconnect for years or manipulate

ecu, cant disonnect speed/km info without engine fault lights and engine running problems and usually major auto transmission problems, but can be manipulated

Thats why i said Service Records. You must be a tad dim to buy secondhand at Thai Prices without at least checking the Dealers Computer, which is surprisingly factual, all your repairs are retained for inspection. Well they are with Reputable Dealers here. Nissan and Honda do it perfectly. If the Cars never gone back for service they tell you with a Big Grin. So Cheap Charlies who forge the Service Records beware.coffee1.gif

Thats why i said Service Records. You must be a tad dim to buy secondhand at Thai Prices without at least checking the Dealers Computer, which is surprisingly factual, all your repairs are retained for inspection. Well they are with Reputable Dealers here. Nissan and Honda do it perfectly. If the Cars never gone back for service they tell you with a Big Grin. So Cheap Charlies who forge the Service Records beware.coffee1.gif

agreed, considering a 1-7 year old, if dealer service record can not be printed by providing VIN, I m gone

same goes for Insurance claims, if a substantial NCB can not be provided, I want to see claim record. just visit any Insurance company, provide VIN and it comes up, any claim any company any time during ownership

agreed, considering a 1-7 year old, if dealer service record can not be printed by providing VIN, I m gone

same goes for Insurance claims, if a substantial NCB can not be provided, I want to see claim record. just visit any Insurance company, provide VIN and it comes up, any claim any company any time during ownership

The way I see it !!! What's it worth is the question ( high & low) a 2007 Triton with high mileage, 149K for a diesel is no big deal.:)

Some people wouldn't mind a motor with high mileage as long as it looks good and getting it for a fair price.

There is no prob with a High Mileage proprely maintained. Thats why an Engine Hour Meter is banned as Standard . Many Trucks have thousands of Engine Ware Hours just stuck in Bkk Trafic, but show Lo Mileage. The Benz Engine in my Boat has one, it don't get shagged switched off..biggrin.gif. But i have it Serviced and Carefully Recorded by the Company, not Nops Wonder Boys at 50 Bht an Hour on the Cheap.

Is that a trick question? Of course it's illegal to wind back the odometer.

Average KM's per year varies, but 10K-25K KM's per year would probably cover at least 90% of Thai vehicles.

Just a warning/observation but when I finally got a dealer to let me test drive his Triton Plus that was sitting in the showroom I noticed the odo had ERR or something similar as a reading - I presume they had disconnected it? Would make me look very closely at any ex dem or showroom models if I was so inclined.

There is no prob with a High Mileage proprely maintained. Thats why an Engine Hour Meter is banned as Standard . Many Trucks have thousands of Engine Ware Hours just stuck in Bkk Trafic, but show Lo Mileage. The Benz Engine in my Boat has one, it don't get shagged switched off..biggrin.gif. But i have it Serviced and Carefully Recorded by the Company, not Nops Wonder Boys at 50 Bht an Hour on the Cheap.

typical use back home is 4 x 5km use a day. In freezing minus 10c this is killing engine/auto/suspension/steering you name it as it never reaches proper working temp. Its considered the same wear and tear as +200km highwaydriving. In addition it wears out interior/seats and general condition as its in and out of the car 8 times a day

my triton had 110.000 last year when i bought it, ive done 39k in 1 year though that has been up and down from isaan to pattaya/ bkk, not much driving in city or villiage as in villiage i use motor bike and do not use car. ive just googled it and 149k = 93.000 miles , for a 5 year old truck / deisel i dont think this is especially high ? then again im no expert . i would say anyone in thailand is doing 17-20,000 miles per year ? records for uk say that average motorists do 12.000 miles per year, is it just me ? because ive allways done far more than that in my 30 years of driving .

Edited by scorpio