Transit Visa - Netherlands On Thai Passport?

Quick question guys to alleviate the paranoia...

Taking the girl to Brazil in February. We are flying UK > The Netherlands > Brazil. She holds ILR( in the UK) on her Thai Passport.

We know Thai passport holders don't need a visa for Brazil but will she be ok for a 3 hour transit at Schipol?

All the signs point to yes but has anyone had an experience of this? Any problems??

Thanks

Brian

IATA database states this:

/ 18NOV11 / 0142 UTC

National Thailand (TH) /Transit Netherlands (NL)

Destination Brazil (BR)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

vi_tr.gif

Netherlands (NL)

in_on_no.gif

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

TIRULES/R32 by the same or first connecting aircraft *Note:

TWOV is not possible when arriving from a non-Schengen Member

State AND departing to a Schengen Member State TIRULES/R34

She should be fine, just make sure the luggage will be transfered without the need to go through immigration/customs.

/ 18NOV11 / 0142 UTC

Destination Brazil (BR)

vi_tr.gif

Netherlands (NL)

in_on_no.gif

She should be fine, just make sure the luggage will be transfered without the need to go through immigration/customs.

Thanks for the information. I am sure on paper she will be ok, just wondering if anyone has flown their partner via Schiphol and experienced any issues?

/ 18NOV11 / 0142 UTC

Destination Brazil (BR)

vi_tr.gif

Netherlands (NL)

in_on_no.gif

Thanks for the information. I am sure on paper she will be ok, just wondering if anyone has flown their partner via Schiphol and experienced any issues?

My Thai wife was in the UK visiting her Sister, and she came back through Schiphol (Transit). No questions asked.

Edited by MJCM

Just for reassurance you could always check with your airline, best to email then you have record of reply should it prove to be inaccurate, quote you ticket number, the ILR is probably irrelevant.

Just one proviso, are you traveling all the way on the same ticket? "UK > Brazil via Netherlands"

If say you book a flight UK > Netherlands on one airline and then Netherlands > Brazil on another then you may have a problem as you probably have to pass immigration to collect your baggage and check in on the next.

You are not considered as being in transit if you leave the international transit zone of an airport, e.g. to collect luggage or to check-in with another airline. If so, normal Schengen regulations apply.

Also:

http://www.minbuza.n...ransit-visa-atv

Just for reassurance you could always check with your airline, best to email then you have record of reply should it prove to be inaccurate, quote you ticket number, the ILR is probably irrelevant.

Just one proviso, are you traveling all the way on the same ticket? "UK > Brazil via Netherlands"

If say you book a flight UK > Netherlands on one airline and then Netherlands > Brazil on another then you may have a problem as you probably have to pass immigration to collect your baggage and check in on the next.

You are not considered as being in transit if you leave the international transit zone of an airport, e.g. to collect luggage or to check-in with another airline. If so, normal Schengen regulations apply.

Also:

http://www.minbuza.n...ransit-visa-atv

Thanks for the responses... Looks like it should be fine but I prefer to check.

Yep, we are travelling with KLM all the way so will get our bags checked straight through from Edinburgh to Rio:)

For future queries and information I emailed the embassy and got this reply:

Dear Mrs xxxxx,

As a holder of a Thai passport you do not need a transit visa as long as you do not leave the international zone at Schiphol airport.

Kind regards,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Consular Affairs & Migration Policy Department

Aliens & Visas Division

Visa-section - iv, The Hague

We used to live in Brazil and had a similar problem. On the way back with KLM via Amsterdam the flight out of Bangkok was delayed and we missed our connection in Schipol. After a lot of running around with a five month pregnant wife in tow and considerable argumenting, there was no further connection on that day and we were forced to stay the night. Given that there was no hotel in the airport, I forced the KLM managers on duty to assist us on getting a transit visa to be able to leave the airport and stay overnight in the hotel. They seems to be nonplussed about this type of occurrence which either says a lot about KLM flight connections or that this is quite a common occurrence...

So as far as a normal connection without leaving the airport - of course, there is no issue. Regarding an entry into the Netherlands for a few hours (or overnight), I would say that as long as you have a very good reason to do so (and the support of the Dutch flag carrier) it is possible.