Combo - Online And In Class - Cert Programs

boomerexpat

Hi all,

I'm thinking of starting next week a combo effort either via a program that has 2 weeks online and 2 weeks classroom (for the teaching experience part) or just get an online cert and then take TEFL Plus's 1 -2 week classroom training for people with online certs. (I want to take the in class part in Phuket.)

I've looked at teflcoursereview and a variety of other sites. Some of the leading candidates are:

+ Bridge

+ i-to-i (can do the online only with them or the combo)

+ TEFL Corp

Any experience with these companies? I'm judging them on:

+ price

+ competence of the structure of online component (coming from the online world I expect a certain level of competency)

+ guidance on lesson plans and other basics of teaching

+ competence of the in class teaching exp

+ general support/customer service of students

+ time involved. I expect to work at it but, given my age, I'm not looking at turning this into a long-term career unless I luck into a job I love. Consequently, something so time-intensive as a CELTA seems a little much.

+ a nice to have, but not critical, if is a name brand that might open a few choice doors

I was leaning towards TEFL International's combo program but the comments on teflcoursereview didn't exactly paint them in a flattering light.

A little background - I'm 58, MBA and years in high-tech marketing with over 16 years of experience training teams and 1:1 coaching. I want to get a position teaching biz at a uni but figure it makes sense to hedge my bets and would like to get formal training on lesson plans, dealing with a class, etc. even if I don't use the cert.

Edited by boomerexpat