PM Yingluck's Gaffe - Remember Your Lines

webfact

I wonder how many million "Taxi-Meter" are there is Bangkok.

And no one, no one at all care to point out to Thai that they should have it printed the other way round.

Changing the signs to "Meter-Taxi" wouldn't be correct either.

I think the proper form would be "Metered Taxi"

Thanks for pointing it out.

You're welcome (NOT overcome or well come BUT welcome)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still waiting for evidence that shows Yingluck can say something either in Thai or English that reveals her superior intellectual abilities. All evidence that I've seen shows otherwise. It seems that most Red Shirts can't tell the difference, whilst other supporters deem it unimportant or irrelevant that we have a bimbo Prime Minister.

...and I'm waiting for evidence that obtaining an MPA degree (Master of Public Administration) at Kentucky State University in 1991 (2 year course) should have transformed her into an accomplished English speaker.

Over the length of this thread Yingluck's MPA degree has morphed into a Masters Degree in English. Her course was taught in English. It's not a degree in English.

Think the Nation is being rather hypercritical over the PM English language skills, after all they can't write decent/correct English copy either.

Typically the articles are full of gramatical mistakes, mis-spelt words, and copy which looks like its been written by a 3 year old...:rolleyes:

Big Deal, so Yingluck pronounced a word wrong. The worse "gaffe" I have heard about is how the new minister of "tourism" of Thailand whose positon is to fly around and promote Thailand in other countries (appointed because of her connections with Thaksin) cannot speak the international language of English.

Actually, that would be the Foreign Minister Surapong, Yingluck's and Thaksin's cousin.

He's used translators during international discussions in English, despite having completed a Master's Degree AND a Doctoral Degree at two different American universities in English.

when you say 'Completed', did you mean 'Completed the Payments' ?

Think the Nation is being rather hypercritical over the PM English language skills, after all they can't write decent/correct English copy either.

Typically the articles are full of gramatical mistakes, mis-spelt words, and copy which looks like its been written by a 3 year old...:rolleyes:

This is a classic example of Muphy's law:

Muphry's law is an adage that states that "if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".

"mis-spelt". Surely "misspelled" or "misspelt" is not spelled or spelt with a hyphen.:)

"gramatical" should be "grammatical".

No doubt I've also demonstrated Muphry's law in my own reply.

hhmm....... might be GRAMMATICAL, i hope that is not a mis-spelt word

But we are not trying to claim that ANY of the journalists at the nation should be PM either. That is the crucial difference.

Well said!

Well said? Really? He is completely missing the picture that Yingluck was educated in the US, including a masters, and speak English at a level that is typical of a bar-girl that has never left the country. Now, if any users on this forum is using their second, third or fourth language to communicate here...are we then allowed to criticize the PM?

Government bashers like yourself keep using the cheapest possible ways to attack the prime minister, which lessens the impact of anything actually substantive you have to offer. Thousands of well-healed Thais have gone abroad to study in English speaking countries and have come back with very little improvement in their English speaking skills. Usually this is because they don't integrate much with the local people and often stick to whatever Thai community they find in the vicinity. But Yingluck is your target and there isn't a reasonable thing in this world she could do that would cause you to say anything positive about her. Not that your opinion on these matters counts anywhere apart from inside your household.

When it comes to the sophistication of accusations by anti-gov/red posters on this forum, we've seen everything from attacks on their weight, intelligence, sexuality and even their footwear. It makes a mockery of those trying to keep a level head and nailing the gov/reds on quantifiable, provable wrongdoings. You are making a joke out of yourselves because the reasonable accusations aren't enough for you. Quit while you are ahead and stop turning people off your cause with the ludicrous statements your hunger for whatever (is it revenge? spouting off on a forum? saving Thailand from itself? do let me know...) requires.

Now if only you would have ended your post with a video of Yingluck showing her intellect, even if it was a video fully in Thai, your post wouldn't have rung so hollow.

This is the best I can do..............

or by Yingluck.

Well said? Really? He is completely missing the picture that Yingluck was educated in the US, including a masters, and speak English at a level that is typical of a bar-girl that has never left the country. Now, if any users on this forum is using their second, third or fourth language to communicate here...are we then allowed to criticize the PM?

Government bashers like yourself keep using the cheapest possible ways to attack the prime minister, which lessens the impact of anything actually substantive you have to offer. Thousands of well-healed Thais have gone abroad to study in English speaking countries and have come back with very little improvement in their English speaking skills. Usually this is because they don't integrate much with the local people and often stick to whatever Thai community they find in the vicinity. But Yingluck is your target and there isn't a reasonable thing in this world she could do that would cause you to say anything positive about her. Not that your opinion on these matters counts anywhere apart from inside your household.

When it comes to the sophistication of accusations by anti-gov/red posters on this forum, we've seen everything from attacks on their weight, intelligence, sexuality and even their footwear. It makes a mockery of those trying to keep a level head and nailing the gov/reds on quantifiable, provable wrongdoings. You are making a joke out of yourselves because the reasonable accusations aren't enough for you. Quit while you are ahead and stop turning people off your cause with the ludicrous statements your hunger for whatever (is it revenge? spouting off on a forum? saving Thailand from itself? do let me know...) requires.

Now if only you would have ended your post with a video of Yingluck showing her intellect, even if it was a video fully in Thai, your post wouldn't have rung so hollow.

This is the best I can do..............

Perhaps the news story narrator could share some of her tips in effective communication with Yingluck.

This is a classic example of Muphy's law:

Muphry's law is an adage that states that "if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".

"mis-spelt". Surely "misspelled" or "misspelt" is not spelled or spelt with a hyphen.:)

"gramatical" should be "grammatical".

No doubt I've also demonstrated Muphry's law in my own reply.

I dont profess to be a professional journalist, PM or "English teacher"...:lol:

hhmm....... might be GRAMMATICAL, i hope that is not a mis-spelt word

Did "English classes" finish early today ?..:lol:

Touche!!

a 3 year old what? Thai, English, 50/50, Alien!!??

Turnip..:rolleyes:

Turnip..:rolleyes:

Nice one........

Perhaps not, but when you criticize journalism to the extreme you did (comparing it to a 3 year old) you had better pay closer attention to your spelling.;)

Perhaps not, but when you criticize journalism to the extreme you did (comparing it to a 3 year old) you had better pay closer attention to your spelling.;)

Criticise doesnt have a "z" in it....:whistling:

I think that depends on which side of the Atlantic you come from....My Collins Concise shows both...

I think that depends on which side of the Atlantic you come from....My Collins Concise shows both...

Seeing as mud island invented the language and the colonial cousins only started using it much later, IMHO the version without the "z" is the correct spelling....What does the Oxford English say ?

My Collins Concise

Wonder why it doesn't call itself Collins Consize? :rolleyes:

Interesting point..:lol:

Collins is a British English Dictionary like Oxford

Webster's (American English) shows only criticize.

Both only have concise. No z form that I know of.

My Collins Concise

Wonder why it doesn't call itself Collins Consize? :rolleyes:

I am sorry the only proper reference is the Oxford English, if it aint in there then the word /spelling doesnt exist...:D .

Seeing as mud island invented the language and the colonial cousins only started using it much later, IMHO the version without the "z" is the correct spelling....What does the Oxford English say ?

Being neither British nor American I can choose to spell it either way, but prefer the "z". Your colonial cousins did improve the language somewhat.

But look back on your earlier post. For a person fixated on spelling and grammar, why did you spell "dont" without the apostrophe?:)

I am sorry the only proper reference is the Oxford English, if it aint in there then the word /spelling doesnt exist...:D .

Being a bit pedantic aren't you? Nevertheless try this http://oxforddiction...ition/criticize

shows both z and s as collins does

and I typed the s version in the search

so as I said before depends on which side of the Atlantic you're on. Both are correct even if you only favo(u)r one.

Being neither British nor American I can choose to spell it either way, but prefer the "z". Your colonial cousins did improve the language somewhat.

But look back on your earlier post. For a person fixated on spelling and grammar, why did you spell "dont" without the apostrophe?:)

touché...see also doesnt without apostrophe..and the word aint

got to go...some cold beers down the street needing my attention..night night

Edited by KKK