Central Bangkok 'Safe' From Floods: Thai PM

webfact

So by a storke of luck and the narrowest of margins inner BKK escapes, now wait for next years 1 in 1000 year floods to come.

O...o...you know about the BIG one that has been for told for next year.

Wifee certainly believes it and intends to move everything in our place in Paknam up to the But and Ben in Mae-on (about 500 mtrs up)on next visit.

I have argued that if all of Bangkoks 15 million people have the same idea ...why bother we wont be able to move never mind get to the pub....in one ear...MKO Jai.....

The date of the apocolyse is predicted on...12-12-12...Just FY info..

Anyway got back last week having spent last few days in the central areas and only water I saw was in my beer.

Took a long walk one day/evening down to Jamies bar in Silom and the streets ..Silom and surrounds were almost empty ...very pleasant...no hawkers,taxi..noise...even back at Pats and later at Soi 19/23 the only obvious sounds were the clinks of ice cubes in the G & ts in Offshore bar....Mucky duck..Crossbar..Dennys Cnr,Finnis.and the news Dogs ..Royal Oak...

still a sad situation but ....its sanuk

So by a storke of luck and the narrowest of margins inner BKK escapes, now wait for next years 1 in 1000 year floods to come.

Wifee certainly believes it and intends to move everything in our place in Paknam up to the But and Ben in Mae-on (about 500 mtrs up)on next visit.

I have argued that if all of Bangkoks 15 million people have the same idea ...why bother we wont be able to move never mind get to the pub....in one ear...MKO Jai.....

Anyway got back last week having spent last few days in the central areas and only water I saw was in my beer.

Took a long walk one day/evening down to Jamies bar in Silom and the streets ..Silom and surrounds were almost empty ...very pleasant...no hawkers,taxi..noise...even back at Pats and later at Soi 19/23 the only obvious sounds were the clinks of ice cubes in the G & ts in Offshore bar....Mucky duck..Crossbar..Dennys Cnr,Finnis.and the news Dogs ..Royal Oak...

sorry i didnt realise it had been moved from 11-11-11

As with the red shirt protests, I wish the Western media would <deleted> and stop scaring away tourists with their panic-style journalism. It wasn't the protests or the floods themselves that made tourist numbers drop, it was the Western media's style of reporting events that had and have no effect on tourism. The TAT should contact the British foreign office and get them to slap a D-notice on the desk of every national newspaper, or at least dull-down their scare-mongering.

How exactly are you defining "Western media". I'm back living in the States now, and there coverage of the floods has been rather minimal in my view. An occasional story on the televised news and an occasional article far back in the world section of the largest regional newspaper. Only one of my friends was aware of the flooding in Thailand, and then only within the last couple of days, and she watches the network news and reads the paper nightly.

And how can you minimize the red shirt "protests"? 30 building burned? The capital brought to a halt for days?

As with the red shirt protests, I wish the Western media would <deleted> and stop scaring away tourists with their panic-style journalism. It wasn't the protests or the floods themselves that made tourist numbers drop, it was the Western media's style of reporting events that had and have no effect on tourism. The TAT should contact the British foreign office and get them to slap a D-notice on the desk of every national newspaper, or at least dull-down their scare-mongering.

Sounds like you have a business interest that relies on tourists. Most other farangs would like to see the tourists stay away as there will be more of Thailand life for us.:D

Most of the flood-related deaths have been a result of drowning or electrocution, according to relief agencies, and there are no epidemic-related warnings to date.

http://blogs.wsj.com...the-floods-yet/

No epidemic related warnings yet...........So it really is potentially serious. The Thai governments have notoriously denied things until forced to confirm them.

Sounds like you have a business interest that relies on tourists. Most other farangs would like to see the tourists stay away as there will be more of Thailand life for us.:D

Its a bit late to try and change the basic underlying philosophy of the media.Gossip and bad news sells newspapers. Maybe the original poster supports the government and Governor of BKK in their denials and obfustications.

Might be something to do with sumit called The Long Count Calendar-

Considering how spiritual the Thai-Chinese-Mayan-Christians et others etc are and with the belief of the 12 year life cycles etc....suppose thats it...

The Long Count Calendar-

The Long Count Calendar-This calendar is to last for a period of 5,125.36 years, a period which they call 'the Great Cycle'. It is broadly divided into 5 different units.

•1 day –is referred to as Kin

•20 days- are called Uinal

•360 days- is Tun

•7,200 days- Katun

•1, 44,000 days are called Baktun.

This Long count calendar is supposed to end on December 21st 2012. This day is being referred to as 'Doomsday' by many soothsayers. The prophecy predicts end of the World since the Mayan Calender ends on Dec. 12 year 2012.

The Gregorian date 13.0.0.0.0 which is denoted on the calendar, signals the end of the existing Great Cycle, which is considered to be an apocalyptic event.

is calendar is to last for a period of 5,125.36 years,a period which they call 'the Great Cycle'. It is broadly divided into 5 different units.

•360 days- is Tun

•7,200 days- Katun

•1,44,000 days are called Baktun.

This Long count calendar is supposed to end on December 21st 2012. (OK might be a week out)

This day is being referred to as 'Doomsday' by many soothsayers.

The prophecy predicts end of the World since the Mayan Calender ends on Dec. 12 year 2012.

The Gregorian date 13.0.0.0.0 which is denoted on the calendar, signals the end of the existing Great Cycle, which is considered to be an apocalyptic event.

Anyway will get the Beer in...just in case...

Considering how spiritual the Thai-Chinese-Mayan-Christians et others etc are and with the belief of the 12 year life cycles etc....suppose thats it...

The Long Count Calendar-

This Long count calendar is supposed to end on December 21st 2012. This day is being referred to as 'Doomsday' by many soothsayers. The prophecy predicts end of the World since the Mayan Calender ends on Dec. 12 year 2012.

is calendar is to last for a period of 5,125.36 years,a period which they call 'the Great Cycle'. It is broadly divided into 5 different units.

•360 days- is Tun

•7,200 days- Katun

This Long count calendar is supposed to end on December 21st 2012. (OK might be a week out)

The prophecy predicts end of the World since the Mayan Calender ends on Dec. 12 year 2012.

sorry repeated...mai Ko Jai.

Yes, Bangkok is safe from flooding, as you can see from my street in Bangkok!

So sorry for all the flood victims, especially those up-country who have been patiently suffering for 3 months now.:(

Wealth buys influence... and big-bags... ''Where would you like them put sir?''

back to the flood

It will be over after the high tide passes which is scheduled for 26. Making a statement before is dangerous.

The little canal next to my place is higher than ever before and with quite a strong current. I saw they're doing their best to drain it all as fast as they can. To say it's save is a bit too early.

The canal near my house is rising (again) and moving fast (again). I guess if our houses are near north/south canals, they are trying to move water through them.

I keep reading about "inner" Bangkok staying dry. The best comment I read about inner Bangkok was about a month ago on twitter. Somebody wrote that everybody thinks they live in inner Bangkok until they are wet and they read in the media that inner Bangkok is still dry. I no longer think I live in inner Bangkok. Many of the sois in the district I live in are under a meter of water, although until a few weeks ago, we were one of the districts that the "experts" had predicted would escape the flooding.

Anyway, my house is still dry, but since we are not in inner Bangkok, who knows.

The Long Count Calendar-

The Long Count Calendar-This calendar is to last for a period of 5,125.36 years, a period which they call 'the Great Cycle'. It is broadly divided into 5 different units.

•360 days- is Tun

•7,200 days- Katun

•1, 44,000 days are called Baktun.

•360 days- is Tun

•7,200 days- Katun

Can't they just start the calendar again?

"It's certain that the inner zone of Bangkok will be safe from floods, as the measures to hold floodwaters have been successful," Yingluck said.

Next week she'll announce evacuation plans!:annoyed:

So dont move when she announces evacuation and then drown... so less clutter on TV... :whistling:

Thailand is blessed to have Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra because she is great leader and will bring respect and be world class ambassador.

Do you have a copy of the promotional brochure about PM Yingluck, the one which was handed out in Bali to elaborate a bit on Ms. Yingluck and her background and achievements?

Thailand is blessed to have Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra because she is great leader and will bring respect and be world class ambassador.

Will not dispute your take on the woman's potential, would suggest that she be assigned to Somalia to do her apprenticeship. If you have misjudged her potential, she could be demoted to inactive posting in Afghanistan.

< snipped some highly-technical calendarian info >

< snipped even more highly-technical caleandarian info, including a reference to beer >

End of LC calendar (Doomsday?) .... give or take a week. I'm trying to fit it into my schedule, but need something more exact.

I seem to remember the Bingo-call "Number 13 ... Lucky for Some !" ?

So wish to propose 13-13-13 , and in-answer to the obvious riposte/objection, it's a 'leap-month' year ! :D