Buying 2Nd Hand Bike

taninthai

Hi guys looking to buy a 2 nd hand bike ,the present owner has not yet changed the bike into his name although he has all paperwork to do this can anyone advise the procedure for this what I need to bring to get bike in my name and where abouts is the office to do this, it will all be happening in phuket I am from krabi and only want to get the name change done in Phuket will change number plate once I have bike in krabi

Thanks

the present owner has not yet changed the bike into his name although he has all paperwork to do this

Sounds fishy mate. Approach with care. Don't pay one baht until the bike is in your name.

Ownership transfer will be done at Land Transport Office. I don't know where it is in Phuket but I'm sure someone here can provide that info.

You'll need passport, work permit or address verification letter.

Good luck!

T

Phuket DLT is at Saphan Hin

You need

passport copy with any valid permit to stay, and they want to compare it with your origianl passport

and certificate of residence issued by Immigration or your embassy. can be replaced with Workeprmit or yellow housebook

make sure registered owners ID is still valid, or if in foreigners name permit to stay must still be valid, and of course transfer form and proxy must be signed by present owner and his/her signature witnessed

bike will be inspected by DLT, and when transfer is accepted, transfered book can be picked up 2 days later

you should not pay bike until DLT has accepted transfer and given you a ticket stating when to get book back

Thanks for replies the two other owners are both farang as for getting the book 2 days later I presume they can post that to address in krabi also anymore detailed info of address for transport office maybe gps location

Thanks again

Oh and is there any charge for all this and who normally pays

Edited by taninthai

Thanks for replies the two other owners are both farang as for getting the book 2 days later I presume they can post that to address in krabi also anymore detailed info of address for transport office maybe gps location

Thanks again

stressing farang must have valid permit to stay in passport to be able to transfer, if passportnumber in reg book differ from number in passport there could also be problems

Book pick up only, they might do it on the spot if you ask and smile very politely, but by complicating things you are risking they wont do the transfer at Phuket DLT, but send you to Krabi, which takes 2 visits to Krabi DLT and 5 days wait to get file transfered.

Saphan Hin is a huge public seaside park in town, Immigration, Labour Department, Public Prosecutor, Marine Police and DLT all in same area, sorry dont use gps in phuket

Thanks again

Oh and is there any charge for all this and who normally pays

transferfee depends on bike cc and value and age, paid 9xxbaht this week for a 2010 ninja650 and 12xxbaht last week for a 2011 ninja650, and small bikes couple of hundred

Thanks again

stressing farang must have valid permit to stay in passport to be able to transfer, if passportnumber in reg book differ from number in passport there could also be problems

Book pick up only, they might do it on the spot if you ask and smile very politely, but by complicating things you are risking they wont do the transfer at Phuket DLT, but send you to Krabi, which takes 2 visits to Krabi DLT and 5 days wait to get file transfered.

Saphan Hin is a huge public seaside park in town, Immigration, Labour Department, Public Prosecutor, Marine Police and DLT all in same area, sorry dont use gps in phuket

Ok sounding a little complicated now can I take it that if they want me to go krabi for transfer the bike will be ok because Phuket office will have checked bike while I'm there to transfer it from previous owner to current owner who wants to sell it I will then have all paperwork needed to simply go krabi and do transfer without current owner being present.

Thanks again

Ok sounding a little complicated now can I take it that if they want me to go krabi for transfer the bike will be ok because Phuket office will have checked bike while I'm there to transfer it from previous owner to current owner who wants to sell it I will then have all paperwork needed to simply go krabi and do transfer without current owner being present.

Nope

Phuket DLT will only inspect bike when all docs are approved by Information lady

Krabi DLT will only inspect bike when file has arrived Krabi 5 days after you have applied Krabi to have it transfered from (Phuket?)

and as present "owner" is not the registered owner, i would stay away from any out of DLT approval or fixer

what kind of bike is it and its value?

Ok the person that wants to sell bike does not have it in his name he has copy of registered owners passport and paperwork needed to transfer bike to his name so if bike does not go into my name on Monday it should definitely be going into persons name that wants to sell it therefore I will be present when this happens , if for some reason cannot get it into my name and book given to me same day I can take it that the owner is the legal owner and the bike is ok to be sold not stolen or have any finance on it

The bike is a 2009 klx 250

Ok the person that wants to sell bike does not have it in his name he has copy of registered owners passport and paperwork needed to transfer bike to his name so if bike does not go into my name on Monday it should definitely be going into persons name that wants to sell it therefore I will be present when this happens , if for some reason cannot get it into my name and book given to me same day I can take it that the owner is the legal owner and the bike is ok to be sold not stolen or have any finance on it

The bike is a 2009 klx 250

so in the 80-110k baht range, is it the one with 620km on it?

yeah, get it transfered monday to either you or present owner, at least then its aproved by Phuket DLT. how about transfer to you and present owner picks up book 2 days later and ems it to you?

finance is visible in book page 4, if any, appears as 2 owners, usually financecompany keeps book, but on occasions book can be with "owner", but if transfer approved by DLT, everything is ok