Basmati Rice

4evermaat

I was wondering if there is an indian shop or if any of the main shops carry basmati rice for cheap.

I was able to find it in Gourmet Market in Siam Paragon, but it was 90 or 99 baht for 1 kg. I was hoping to find it cheaper elsewhere.

I doubt they have anything in Chumphon Town, as I've checked the Makro, Big C, and Tesco.

Just scan through all the thread topics in this International Food forum (there's only three pages) concerning Indian ingredients / spices and you'll find all the information needed. Noted places are around Sukhumvit, Silom and Chinatown. They should all be cheaper than Paragon, Emporium, Central etc. No idea where you're based but the Indian convenience store on Sukhumvit soi 23 is walking distance from Asoke skytrain / Sukhumvit Metro stations.

Just scan through all the thread topics in this International Food forum (there's only three pages) concerning Indian ingredients / spices and you'll find all the information needed. Noted places are around Sukhumvit, Silom and Chinatown. They should all be cheaper than Paragon, Emporium, Central etc. No idea where you're based but the Indian convenience store on Sukhumvit soi 23 is walking distance from Asoke skytrain / Sukhumvit Metro stations.

I usually come into Wong Wien Yai and go to siam paragon for movies. I will follow up on the other post and see if the person can even deliver.

If you can't get the rice delivered go to page 2 of this forum and to the thread 'Where To Buy Garam Masala And Other Indian Spices?'. Post #3 has a helpful link to a map of 3 places around Silom, not too far from Wongwian Yai. The post's regarding Indian spices but I'm assuming you'll also find basmati rice:

Tommy, no Indian grocery shops in Chinatown. Have to go "next door" to Little India.Thanon (Road) Chackraphet

You could try -Nisa Sachdev, 329 Soi Protoleck Lek, Chakraphet Road, Pranankorn, 0814455736. She has the best Indian grocery shop in Little India.

We visited Nisa's shop earlier this year and bought several Kg of her "best" Basmati (amongst many other items!) and I have to say it is the finest, longest grained rice I have ever found and much better quality than any I ever bought in the UK.

Nisa speaks perfect English and is a delight to meet - strongly recommend you pay her shop a visit.

You could try -Nisa Sachdev, 329 Soi Protoleck Lek, Chakraphet Road, Pranankorn, 0814455736. She has the best Indian grocery shop in Little India.

We visited Nisa's shop earlier this year and bought several Kg of her "best" Basmati (amongst many other items!) and I have to say it is the finest, longest grained rice I have ever found and much better quality than any I ever bought in the UK.

Nisa speaks perfect English and is a delight to meet - strongly recommend you pay her shop a visit.

I'm in contact with her now. She seems very willing to ship, either via post or private carrier. I'll let you know how it turns out. And her english is good. This is great, because I get my maple syrup shipped to me also, and I save tons of money buying direct.

4ever, who do you source your maple syrup thru, and how do you handle the delivery for that.... Be interested in doing the same...

Bangkok Dynamics. I'm going to update that thread with my experiences. They ship EMS to the house, but I suppose you could go ground shipping. The first order have your thai friend there to assist, unless you speak good thai. They speak english, but you know the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Nisa's Little India shop which is right outside the Indian Emporium shopping center. I bought several varieties of Basmati rice to test them and see which one to settle with. They also sell some imported goods like pressure cookers, cashew (the fat cashews), almonds, etc. I can confirm she can ship via Thailand Post either EMS or regular parcel post (cheaper) with no problems. The parcel post with tracking might be a little bit more economical, especially for several kg of rice. Nisa and her husband speaks good Thai and English. Good to call/SMS your email address and your request and she can detail what options you have.

That whole Indian Emporium area has TONS of fabric, oil, herbs, trinkets, etc shops and other imported goods. They also have lots of fresh fruit juices with no added sugar (hard to find in the normal thai juicers without special request). Traffic is horrible at most hours of the day (exception: motorbike taxi), but you just do your best anyway. Looks like their guesthouse prices were pretty reasonable also. It would probably take a day or two to walk slowly and comb all of the blocks and side alleys.

edit: I wonder if any of those shops source quinoa? Would save a trip to Villa Market, and maybe a few baht also, especially if they carry bulk.

Edited by 4evermaat