Goodbye To The Consulate

cowslip

I see now that Howard Miller has resigned, that the UK is left without a representative in Pattaya. A place with probably the highest concentration of Brits anywhere in Thailand.

What amazes me is why the FO appointed Mr Miller in the first place. Just a brief listen to his broadcasting and advertising - not to mention his involvement with the highly controversial "volunteer" tourist police - would tell anyone that he was totally unsuitable for the job. At least the FO saw sense in the end......now they have to manoeuvre themselves out of this embarrassing situation and into another - that of no consul at all.......although if that is worse than having Mr Howard at the wheel is debatable.

I'm sure Mr H will be fine but it is quite clear he was not of the right mould for the job as his tantrum-like resignation shows.

I look forward now to a improved service with a more qualified and appropriate appointment some time in the future

Edited by cowslip

They have already appointed a replacement. And it is a full-time paid job, not an honorary post, which was advertised well before Howard resigned. I understand that a Thai/British woman has been appointed and will start the job in January. They are also appointing a full time vice-consul. Howard was interviewed for the job, but I understand that he said he could not take a full-time post because of his other business interests. But there may be other factors at work here.

Edited by eyebee