Thaiairways, Fully Refundable Ticket Fees

No1

Hello,

I was sold a fully refundable ticket from Thaiairways. Now when asking for a refund, Thaiairways wants to deduct 100 USD in fees. I thought, if it is fully refundable, they have to fully refund without deducting fees which make up nearly 25% of the ticket price.

Is this o.k.? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your ideas!

:jap:

No, it's a standard thing.

You probably didn't read the "fine print" in the ticket agreement....hey, nobody ever does. They count on that.

But if you look carefully...very carefully...because they deliberately hide the details in a confusing mass of other junk....you would probably find the information there on what they charged you for refunding your ticket price MINUS the government tax and fees.

And they (the arlines) have to pay that government tax and fees even though they refund your ticket...so they charge you for that when you BUY the ticket. The government won't refund the airlines that money...so the airlines won't refund it to you.

And then of course there's the "service fee" they are charging you....for their "service" in refunding some of your money.

(I didn't say it was fair...I'm just explaining why the airline wants it's money from you.)

Bottom line: that's what their "certain fees may apply if ticket is canceled or refunded" terminology means.

:blink:

You got stung. The airline always wins. Double check the rules on your e-tkt and make sure it is $100, that fee applies if you cancel or no-show etc however if you cancel 7 days prior often the penalty is waived.

The other thing to ask is if you rebook will that fee be waived.

No, it's a standard thing.

You probably didn't read the "fine print" in the ticket agreement....hey, nobody ever does. They count on that.

But if you look carefully...very carefully...because they deliberately hide the details in a confusing mass of other junk....you would probably find the information there on what they charged you for refunding your ticket price MINUS the government tax and fees.

And they (the arlines) have to pay that government tax and fees even though they refund your ticket...so they charge you for that when you BUY the ticket. The government won't refund the airlines that money...so the airlines won't refund it to you.

And then of course there's the "service fee" they are charging you....for their "service" in refunding some of your money.

(I didn't say it was fair...I'm just explaining why the airline wants it's money from you.)

Bottom line: that's what their "certain fees may apply if ticket is canceled or refunded" terminology means.

:blink:

I don't agree with everything you say here.

Key information to know about this situation is:

1) What fare class was the ticket booked in?

2) What city pair was the ticket purchased for (especially, domestic vs. international?) I'm assuming it was international based on the amounts involved.

3) How was the ticket purchased (THAI website, travel agent, etc.?)

The THAI website gives extensive information prior to purchase as to fees involved for flight changes, totally unused ticket refunds, partially used ticket refunds, etc. I doubt most travel agents would relay the level of detail on these conditions to a client sitting at their desk as what THAI states on their website.

Most of the full Y fares I was seeing had 2000 baht ($66 USD) refund fees, which can be considered service fees. I have to admit I was surprised to see that on a full Y fare, but I rarely ever fly on those fares or even look at them. If this fee was because the airline had to pay taxes even when you canceled and wanted a refund, they wouldn't be quoting a nice round number like 2000 baht.

As for airlines paying government taxes regardless of whether the ticket is later used or refunded, I just don't believe that is true in most cases. In some cases with some countries and some taxes involved, the airline may be compelled to pay them on a refunded ticket. But that's the exception, not the rule. Most of the taxes are for users of the air transportation system. The airlines file reports on how many passengers they ultimately carried, and they pay taxes on that number of people.

..because they deliberately hide the details in a confusing mass of other junk....you would probably find the information there on what they charged you for refunding your ticket price MINUS the government tax and fees.

complete nonsense-tipical for the usual farang postings on TV. IF they do nort refund ticket-as is the case on most cheap bookings, then taxes and fees ( NOT the fuel surcharge-which makes out most of the sum) will be refunded-in the end. IF you wont to sling mud-then do at least correctly.