Thai Flood Crisis May Increase Domestic Violence

webfact

Crisis may increase domestic violence

The Nation

30170599-01_big.jpg

The number of domestic violence cases might start rising because of the flood crisis, says the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation.

"Since people are stressed about the damage caused by the flooding, many will turn to alcohol, which will only increase domestic violence," Jadej Chaowilai, the foundation's director, said yesterday.

He added that 914 people so far had sought counselling on domestic violence via a programme jointly run by his foundation and the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Jadej said counsellors who worked in evacuation centres and floodravaged areas had discovered that many of the affected people were under stress and often picked quarrels with their family.

To prevent domestic violence, Jadej suggested that relevant authorities set up rehabilitation plans for floodhit people and ensure that every affected person is helped.

"The flood victims should be encouraged to engage in recreational activities with their family members. This will not only relieve stress, but will also improve relationships," he said, adding that monks could help out by holding praying sessions or providing sermons.

Jadej also said that affected people should be taught to become selfreliant. "For example, they could learn to cook and share what they make. They could also learn to manage the space they share as well," he said.

Meanwhile Dr Kiartibhumi Wongrajit, deputy directorgeneral of the Mental Health Department, said flood victims were hurt further by the government's inefficient communication.

"It is necessary that the government provide accurate information," he said. "It should be more sincere in helping people. Then their stress will ease."

However, Kiartibhumi said the number of affected people was far too large for the government to handle on its own. "People need to help one another too," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-25

"The flood victims should be encouraged to engage in recreational activities with their family members"

Like what ?....rowing boat races, long tail F1 races, evening supper crusies up and down the flooded Soi's

I know when the wife and i were locked up upstairs with water in our house downstairs i hated the fact i had no alone time. Usually she works so i am free a lot. Being locked up with someone 24/7 under less then optimal conditions does give stress.

i think many people support PM at the begining because of money but they kill themself when they propose 5000 FOR DAMAGE

i will be shy because all of you know is human mistake from chiang mai and khon kaen

you need to understand here we are in bangkok and no one accept this party and now you kill ur people with flood and stock water in lamluka klong3 and other u hide to TV

people here not like issan it s not easy to buy them

BUT IF YOU TRY TO BECOME HONEST AND STRAIGH LIKE THAT YOU CAN TO BE RESPECT AND LOVE BY THEM

and please stop to do like you don t know we are not stupid

The condoms are for keeping the money dry.

:thumbsup::cheesy::clap2:

the wife and i were locked up upstairs with water in our house downstairs i hated the fact i had no alone time.

Next time store lots of cans of condensed milk... that might help :whistling:

:wub::thumbsup::emot-kiss::passifier:

I just need to be alone at times. Can't survive to be with someone 24/7. Though Asians in general need less time alone.

i think many people support PM at the begining because of money but they kill themself when they propose 5000 FOR DAMAGE

i will be shy because all of you know is human mistake from chiang mai and khon kaen

you need to understand here we are in bangkok and no one accept this party and now you kill ur people with flood and stock water in lamluka klong3 and other u hide to TV

BUT IF YOU TRY TO BECOME HONEST AND STRAIGH LIKE THAT YOU CAN TO BE RESPECT AND LOVE BY THEM

Welcome to the forum biloutte...unfortunately I'm unable to make any sense of your post. Please it is not a criticism as I'm sure you did your best with what is obviously not an easy language for you to communicate in. If there is anyone out there that can help "interpret" what biloutte is saying please do so.

I'm going to hide behind my TV now....jap.gif

Welcome to the forum biloutte...unfortunately I'm unable to make any sense of your post. Please it is not a criticism as I'm sure you did your best with what is obviously not an easy language for you to communicate in. If there is anyone out there that can help "interpret" what biloutte is saying please do so.

Taking a wild stab at it, I feel that this Thai gentlemen is sharing, that once one has lost everything, not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, regardless what country one lives in, some if not many will do things that are out of the box, due to frustration, lack of help, food, water a place to be dry, sleep, loss of love ones and it seems like most of these responding Farangs enjoy kicking the Thai's when they are down or up.

Give it a brake, reach out and help, quick bad mouthing the Thai people.

Take a long look of the country you left and the country your in, there is good, bad and ugly everywhere, many Thai people had next to nothing before this all happened, take that away, add contaminated water and all the other problems and you learn that HELL is also on Earth.

Don't Verbally Bitch Slap Them, Reach Out For Them.374.bmp

Taking a wild stab at it, I feel that this Thai gentlemen is sharing, that once one has lost everything, not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, regardless what country one lives in, some if not many will do things that are out of the box, due to frustration, lack of help, food, water a place to be dry, sleep, loss of love ones and it seems like most of these responding Farangs enjoy kicking the Thai's when they are down or up.

Take a long look of the country you left and the country your in, there is good, bad and ugly everywhere, many Thai people had next to nothing before this all happened, take that away, add contaminated water and all the other problems and you learn that HELL is also on Earth.

My take is different

- Many people voted for PT because of the promise of minimum wage, rice subsidy etc etc. However, when it is revealed the compensation for flood damage is only Bht5,000, the people are so disappointed that they commit suicide

- the reason for the floods is due to human mistake ie poor dam management

- people need to understand that bangkokians did not vote for PT and does not accept PT. Now, PT is killing the bangkokians with flood water and storing up water in lamlukka klong 3 to drown us. The rest of the politicians are hiding behind the television

- bangkokians are not like isaanites. They cannot be bought with money (as in vote buying

- don't think that we don't know your (PT) agenda. we are not stupid

I'm going to hide behind my TV now....jap.gif

it'a a machine translation.

It does make some sense, but admittedly is not easy to read.

But not being great at English is not something to stop you on Thai Visa.

But no matter, Billoutte are welcome to post what you feel and participate.

Yes, likely a machine translation. But it shows some real gumption to post this. Obviously biloutte wants to be heard badly.

Edited by animatic

Not quite koto

This is more a complaint to/ about the current government.

A try at translating better line by line:

I believe billoutte said:

I think many people supported PM at the beginning because they got money to vote for them.

But now with the pathetic offer of 5,000 baht to rebuild their trashed homes it is killing them. they can not survive on this tiny handout, it is turning many former PTP voters away from them quickly..

A reference to 'not coming out and saying'

it was caused by a likely intentional a water management decisions that was a gross mistake up north, and that we ( displaced Thais) all know this.

That many are in greater Bangkok who didn't vote for PTP, but are now having their lives destroyed by their incompetence. We didn't want this, but can't stop it. So please remember some Thais did not cause this or vote for those that did, so don't assume we all did.

And that people on the street know water is being intentionally sent to places that harm the poor, but also to places not being shown on TV and talked about in the press. The people are not being told the full story still.

Not everyone in Bangkok is from Issan or the north, and not all can be conned or bought easily.

But if PTP / Government were to turn honest, and act straight towards all Thais, not just their friends,

they they could expect respect and love from the other Thai's too.

Please stop doing thoughtless or biased things and acting like we are too stupid to see what you are doing.

I think this sums it up.

Edited by animatic

My take is different

- Many people voted for PT because of the promise of minimum wage, rice subsidy etc etc. However, when it is revealed the compensation for flood damage is only Bht5,000, the people are so disappointed that they commit suicide

- people need to understand that bangkokians did not vote for PT and does not accept PT. Now, PT is killing the bangkokians with flood water and storing up water in lamlukka klong 3 to drown us. The rest of the politicians are hiding behind the television

- bangkokians are not like isaanites. They cannot be bought with money (as in vote buying

Your interpretation is exactly the same as mine. Good Luck to K, Biloutte. I hope the floods recede very very soon.

My take is different

I'm more inclined to agree with you then I, a stab at it made me ass u me, I have been known to make mistakes from time to time, I was blind sided by some of the previous post, I'm always finding that way to many Farangs are always knocking the Thai people and I always want to say mirror, mirror on the wall.

I stand corrected.