Help - Everythings Turning Green

Khun Bob

I live in a new apartment in bangkok and having a problem with something - dont know exactly what it is - that seems to be turning the furniture, clothes, stone floor, walls and so on green. I informed the building management and they painted all the furniture with some foul smelling stuff and it seems to be keeping the green from eating that as much as it use to.

The partment is close to quite alot of water - 2 ponds and 2 klongs and i beleive has been built on land reclaimed from swamp/pond land.

It seems to like dark un aired areas and loves eating (growing on actually - but i guess it has got to eat something...) the exposed bits of flatpacked wood on the furniture and my more warn wool suits....

I try to keep the room well aired during the day and wash the filters in the air con weekly now. I've had a sore throat for a couple of weeks now and wonder if there is any connection.

Can anyone offer some advice on what it could be and what to do ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Check your walls for dampness, particularly the outer walls and the inner walls around your shower. If the inner walls are wet, trace your water pipe and look for a leak.

If the outer walls are wet, find a new apartment.

It sounds like mould is alive and well in your apartment. Sickness is sure to follow unless you can get rid of it.

You are best advised to move, as mentioned before, you're puttung your health at risk in such environment.

We had a 'small' version of this in one of the ground floor rooms. A slightly elevated cement slope on the outside wall, repairing the guttering above and an aircon unit in the room seem to have solved it. (pending next rainy season)

Katrina (hurricane) victims are going thru that now, mold is running up thru the wall very fast on homes that were flooded, very expensive to remediate, most are simply rebuilding. :o

Mold spores in your lungs is bad news,

Most of the post Katrina homes I have seen have toxic black mold. Green mold not quite as bad. There should be some focus for the raised humidity causing the mold. Air purifiers can help in achieving up to 99.9% purification. But it is difficult as even with the treatment your property has received airborne spores can live a long time. Either leave or get a building surveyor to locate the origin of the damp ingress. Is the property rented or leased/owned by you?

Keep the windows closed and just use the air-con, keeps the temperature down and lowers the humidity. get a dedent ai-con with that silver nano plasma function and it will clean the air effectively as well.

Lemongrass is anti-fungal, maybe a few burners with lemongrass essential oil may also help.

Keep the windows closed and just use the air-con, keeps the temperature down and lowers the humidity.  get a dedent ai-con with that silver nano plasma function and it will clean the air effectively as well.

Lemongrass is anti-fungal, maybe a few burners with lemongrass essential oil may also help.

Good advice! Most of the environmentally friendly treatments for green mold are citrus based.

Thanks for the great replies - some very useful information - moving out of the room is one of the options i have seriously considered, however I like the room and have worked hard at keeping things back. I have to clean alot - which maybe isnt a bad thing - but now i think i am managing to keep it under control - alswo maybe witht he colder weather too this may help.

When i spoke to the building management originally the big boss quite quickly stated that this was the only room to have the problem - whether this is true or not, i dont know - will need to investigate. But i havent noticed other rooms having theor furniture removed or painted with foul smelling stuff like i have so i beleive her 80% so far.

I have a feelin that i may have bought it with me from a recent trip to malaysia where i stayed in some basic accomodation and left my suit there - seems that 1 of my suits is particularly liked by it. Also i am not sure if it is carried by small red ants as i have a constant battlle keeping these at bay - but washing everyting frequently seems to help.

If anyone has any further comments or info would appreciate to hear...

I live outside Chiangmai..there are ten little houses in a big forest garden.

EVERYONE has mould problems in the Rainy season. It can mess up your clothes so keep a fan on, it helps. Apart from that...no big deal....wipe it off sometimes to keep the spores from swamping you and just wait for the dry weather. I have not noticed any health problems at all.

I live outside Chiangmai..there are ten little houses in a big forest garden.

EVERYONE has mould problems in the Rainy season. It can mess up your clothes so keep a fan on, it helps. Apart from that...no big deal....wipe it off sometimes to keep the spores from swamping you and just wait for the dry weather. I have not noticed any health problems at all.

Well if it's green mold the penicillin may be improving your health. Especially those tricky little personal problems :o

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the further replies - i've never had a room so clean - but it isnt propagating as much and the rainy season is over...

Just got ants now...

You may want to try 'Moth Balls'! They seemed to work for my mold problems BUT do not let the moth balls hang around too long! Understand that these are not good for your health either.