Indian Restaurant Row Developing In Pattaya

Jingthing

Royal Garden Plaza, top floor, Food Wave I think it is called. The Indian Section has a Tandori Oven and make fresh Nans with every order. I have only eaten there at lunch times. I find it very good and fairly priced. Another section sells beers. My wife goes to another section and has Thai or Chinese, just order and it is delivered to your table. It is on our must visit places for lunch when we go to Pattaya!

I second that.

I noticed last weekend that they now have a Medditerranean and Turkish food area opened upstairs as well.

Edited by PattayaParent

so what is the fight about?

that Jingthing's "somosas" are actually "samosas" ;)

The spelling police have arrived!

and will arrest anybody who uses ridiculous spellings such as "somosas" or "kabobs" or "Donner Kabobs" :lol:

so what is the fight about?

that Jingthing's "somosas" are actually "samosas" ;)

The spelling police have arrived!

and will arrest anybody who uses ridiculous spellings such as "somosas" or "kabobs" or "Donner Kabobs" :lol:

Teutonic humor, again?

Kind of like Canadian angst.

Or perhaps Mormon pole dancing ...

Edited by Jingthing

Only have Indian once or twice a year and Ali Babba fits the bill nicely. Maybe on the pricey side and don't know authentic Indian from in-authentic but the taste is good and parking is easy.

What I need is a good middle-eastern/Lebanese recommendation(s).

I think your best bet is Shamy Taste Lebanese restaurant Phratamnak Road corner of Soi 17, South Pattaya (same district as the Indian row). BTW, the place jombom mentioned is roughly in the same district. It's called Lebanese but its really much more like Pan-Arabic. No alcohol served and closed during Ramadan.

A related cuisine, I wonder why more non-Iranians don't take advantage of the MANY quite decent Iranian restaurants in town.

Ali Baba I don't get, I found it to be an extremely heavy ghee laden style the one and only time I tried it. BTW, if you don't mind to get spendy for Indian, I suggest you might consider trying ZAIKA across from Royal Garden. The menu looks great and we had some positive comments on the forum as well. I've not been yet due to the price level (similar to Ali Baba).

Thanks for the tip. Last night we decided to do a Marge Simpson (The Simpsons S23E05) and try out this place for a change. I think the actual name is Al Zahra, at least that's what's printed on the menu card. The food was so-so, but at least it was cheap, 800B for 3 people including drinks (water, they don't serve alcohol). We had a rice dish with grizzly lamb chops, a sloppy yellow curry and a quite nice mixed grill. Side orders were hummus, which we tried for the first time and found curiously bland. A similarly bland youghurt with cucumbers arrived late which is why it isn't on the picture. We wanted to try the lebanese bread but "no hab" so we got some naan instead which was very good. There was some chili sause with the condiments that we hoped was sambal oelek as we know it from Turkish restaurants in Europe, but it turned out to just be some tabasco style sauce. Curiously absent from everything was any hint of garlic and in general we expected much more spicy food. Anyway we ate up and survived the next day so on balance with the price paid well worth a visit.

post-1539-0-21863600-1322981091_thumb.jp

Sorry to hear you found the food bland at the Lebanese place, Phil. I haven't been in a while but your comments don't make me want to rush back either. BTW, I have tried their Lebanese bread there, their nan was better.

About one of the new Indian places mentioned in the OP, another one is NOW OPEN.

It is INDIAN TOUCH 1 (there is only one, why the 1, Shiva knows).

They are featuring south Indian, dosas, idli, Uppuma served with sambar.

They also do meat and a veg thali in the 150 baht range.

Plus curries, veg and meat, breads, etc. including a few curry types you don't see on most menus. I didn't ask if they have a tandoori oven as I was interested in their south Indian food.

I tried the Masala Dosa at 110 baht.

The crepe was done excellently to my tastes. Fresh tasting, cooked to order, and not the slightest bit greasy. The spicy potato filling was satisfying. Served with I think was a coconut chutney and a spicy (called for it) sambar which was browner and thicker than I am used to with this dish (used to very yellow and thinner).

I think dosa fans will like their food!

The owners and staff are very friendly, welcoming, and speak English.

I recommend this new place without reservation, which BTW, you won't need. Reservations, that is.

Edited by Jingthing

I want to bump this because I wondering if people who are interested in dosas and some different kinds of curries really know the LOCATION of this new restaurant INDIAN TOUCH 1? It would be cool for them to see non-Indian customers as it's clear to me they don't really expect them. The people running this place are EXCEPTIONALLY FRIENDLY, and add that to good food, well priced ... :wub:

Edited by Jingthing

I want to bump this because I wondering if people who are interested in dosas and some different kinds of curries really know the LOCATION of this new restaurant INDIAN TOUCH 1? It would be cool for them to see non-Indian customers as it's clear to me they don't really expect them. The people running this place are EXCEPTIONALLY FRIENDLY, and add that to good food, well priced ... :wub:

Ok, so how do you get there?

Ok, so how do you get there?

The best I can do right now is refer you to the OP which mentions the three new restaurants and general location area, including the now open Indian Touch 1. When I pass by later I'll try to take note of more detailed landmarks.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this.

The new RASOI place is now possibly open. (same side of street as Indian Touch 1 a bit more in the Jomtien direction).

However, it seems a little odd so maybe it really isn't open yet. (But the tables are set, what are people supposed to think?)

I perused the menu from the outside stand for ten minutes (looked good and decent prices) but was saw no Indian people there at all to greet me, nobody eating, and some Thai people hanging around gossiping (not clear whether they really were part of the restaurant).

Maybe things will get gelled later, but I won't go into a place that doesn't seem to be happening yet.

Update on Indian Touch 1. Stopped by for a non-veg thali for 160 baht. Bloody delicious. A chicken curry in a thick yellow sauce, some of the best dal makhani I've ever had, an interesting raiti with crunchy rice type things in it, excellent fresh cooked rotis, and some fresh veg to munch. This place is a gem and a bargain. I suggest people support them! Given their south Indian focus, south Indian type starches like dosas, idlis, rotis, and uttapams are the features . I don't recall that they have Vada though.

Edited by Jingthing

Update on this.

The new RASOI place is now possibly open. (same side of street as Indian Touch 1 a bit more in the Jomtien direction).

However, it seems a little odd so maybe it really isn't open yet. (But the tables are set, what are people supposed to think?)

I perused the menu from the outside stand for ten minutes (looked good and decent prices) but was saw no Indian people there at all to greet me, nobody eating, and some Thai people hanging around gossiping (not clear whether they really were part of the restaurant).

Maybe things will get gelled later, but I won't go into a place that doesn't seem to be happening yet.

Update on Indian Touch 1. Stopped by for a non-veg thali for 160 baht. Bloody delicious. A chicken curry in a thick yellow sauce, some of the best dal makhani I've ever had, an interesting raiti with crunchy rice type things in it, excellent fresh cooked rotis, and some fresh veg to munch. This place is a gem and a bargain. I suggest people support them! Given their south Indian focus, south Indian type starches like dosas, idlis, rotis, and uttapams are the features . I don't recall that they have Vada though.

one restaurant door closes, another opens............

OK, I saw a table of people eating at the new RASOI place tonight. Could have been the owners but a good sign the kitchen is working.

BTW, the menu at Rasoi appears mostly rather standard, compared to more sophisticated places like Zaika and even Punjabi Tadka, but there were some more interesting things on it, such as a Punjabi thali. I am curious about the Punjabi thali based on an experience I had at another local Indian restaurant (that Indian Garden place up north). There I asked about it and they refused to even serve it to me! That's like a challenge to me, but they were serious, they wouldn't do it. Anyway ...

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

OK, now!

What one or two of you may have been waiting for with baited breath.

A report on my limited experience at the new Indian place, Indian Rasoi, on Pattaya's own curry row.

I will keep this as objective as I can.

As suggested before, I was curious about their Punjabi thali an item I found on another local Indian restaurant which refused to serve it to me!

This place was happy to take my order for Punjabi thali at 180 baht.

They have two other thali choices, vegetarian at 160 and meat at 180.

I wasn't expecting any meat on Punjabi thali but didn't have a strong preference either way.

I made my usual special request: I want the food spicy/I like spicy food. I said this in English because the waitress didn't impress me as a Thai speaker. She acknowledged the request in English. What more could I do? Go into the kitchen and supervise? (No.)

Now for 180 baht I wasn't expecting anything like this, believe me!

However, I was expecting to be fed a medium sized meal for at least a medium sized hunger.

What I got?

A typical metal thali compartment plate containing --

ONE curry. One curry only. It was a green mush type curry. It looked pretty good. I guess there was spinach in it to make it green. However, the flavor of it? There was NO detectable flavor. To my palate, it was all mushy texture (not unpleasant) and tasted of nothing. Not even spinach.

Are you nostalgic for that ultimate comfort food feeling of bland green BABY FOOD? There's your dish!

In another compartment: A tiny greasy fried papadam type of thing. Too greasy for me to want to finish.

In the one BIGGER compartment? Lentil wafers. Not much flavor, but a nice crunchy texture. It was my favorite part and really the main substance of the appetizer sized meal.

Another small compartment, tiny sliced tomato, cucumber.

One EMPTY compartment. Maybe this was for the raita. Instead they served a very thin sweet yogurt lassi drink. Not mentioned on the menu so I had ordered another drink not knowing they give you a drink.

Now even though I am no expert on Punjabi thalis I have had Punjabi food and I know it can often be spicy, especially if requested.

In all my life, I have never been served a thali plate with only ONE curry. Perhaps they counted the lentil wafers as a curry.

I did complain quite clearly. I pointed out I expected at least two curries on a thali. The response was to show me that I ordered the Punjabi thali and that's what I got (nothing on the menu about what's in it of course). I complained that the one curry had no flavor. The waitress claimed she had told the cook I asked for spicy. Yes, I suspect racial spice profilingTM but can't prove it.

For all I know they do have some great FLAVORFUL Indian food you can get from their Indian Rasoi kitchen. But can you get it? That is the question.

Edited by Jingthing

Stopped at Indian Touch to preview the menu.

About 220 for a dish of Chicken Tika Masala , a few other curries a bit less priced.

Will stop and eat there in the few days , it looks clean and the people running the shop are friendly.

Please do and please post back about what you thought of the food. I continue to think the place is a real little gem. BTW, if you like it spicier they listenlicklips.gif , not sure what the baseline spice level will be if you don't specify.

Indian Touch

Had a masla dosa and sweet lasi for lunch ,

fantastic ....

Will try a chicken curry next round , was a bit put off @ 220 baht for one of these entrees , normally

around the 160 baht mark at other locals I eat in , but judging how good the masla dosa was , will give it a try next time.

JangAling strikes Again !

• Like 1

Indian Touch

Had a masla dosa and sweet lasi for lunch ,

fantastic ....

Will try a chicken curry next round , was a bit put off @ 220 baht for one of these entrees , normally

around the 160 baht mark at other locals I eat in , but judging how good the masla dosa was , will give it a try next time.

JangAling strikes Again !

Glad the hear you liked the dosa, JammyTheMeek!cowboy.gif

In my view they have the best dosas in town.

I also haven't tried a main curry dish there and I agree that price sounds a bit high, but I would bet they give you a good portion. The reason is I ordered a chaat there the other day for 60 baht and it was massive. Just a hunch, don't know yet. So many places in town give you just a few ounces of meat with their meat curries.

Edited by Jingthing

I am a huge fan of Madras Darbar located just opposite of festival on 2nd road. I eat there every chance I get and its the only place I go for Indian now. I would love to hear what some of the other foodies think of it.

Edited by Jayman

I am a huge fan of Madras Darbar located just opposite of festival on 2nd road. I eat there every chance I get and its the only place I go for Indian now. I would love to hear what some of the other foodies think of it.

Yeah, you mentioned the place before. I have been a number of times. The one time I did try their dosa it was a greaseball and Indian Touch was much better in the dosa department. Could have been an off day.

ok.. fair enough. I will try Indian Touch then.. Remind me where that's at and how are the prices and curries? I like them spicy as well.

EDIT: A little more reading and I found the info I was looking for.

Edited by Jayman

Ok.. I went to Indian Touch tonight and really enjoyed it. Had a spicy chicken (boneless) curry, the paneer dosa, and some naan and chiptatti. That and the different chutneys they brought me and I left stuffed. It was very tasty and not over priced.

Thanks for the hook up.

• Like 1