Thai Truck Drivers..

LarryBird

They've got nothing to lose except their jobs. If they plow into you and crash up their boss' truck, they don't care. Their boss covers it, and they lose their job. In a place where people are accountable for their actions, they might lose a good job, versus a 300 baht a day job, and their insurance would be jacked up as well and affect them for the next 5 years.. They might also lose their licenses.. Here, they probably don't even have a license to begin with. They've got nothing to lose, so they drive with their eyes closed. This is simple economics.

True, true. Even back home, I don't trust truck drivers - chances are they've been up and driving for 24 hours straight. In Thailand, it can only be worse, e.g. the trucks are in much worse condition, more overloaded, and the drivers probably just as tired.

So do the smart thing and avoid them.

I've even seen some trucks do the one thing that Thai drivers generally really don't do, which is to suddenly swerve and switch lanes on the highway. They were avoiding pot holes, but still. Keep your distance!

Since official Thai traffic rules state that the bigger vehicle shall always have the right of way, truck drivers generally don't look where they're going or whether there's anyone in the other lane. As they're the biggest thing on the road, the only thing they need to look out for is other trucks. Smaller than that doesn't even register.

True, true. Even back home, I don't trust truck drivers - chances are they've been up and driving for 24 hours straight. In Thailand, it can only be worse, e.g. the trucks are in much worse condition, more overloaded, and the drivers probably just as tired.

I've even seen some trucks do the one thing that Thai drivers generally really don't do, which is to suddenly swerve and switch lanes on the highway. They were avoiding pot holes, but still. Keep your distance!

Since official Thai traffic rules state that the bigger vehicle shall always have the right of way, truck drivers generally don't look where they're going or whether there's anyone in the other lane. As they're the biggest thing on the road, the only thing they need to look out for is other trucks. Smaller than that doesn't even register.

Your remark about "bigger vehicles always having the right of way" is whimsical, of course. The drivers just think that way. Just as Mercedes, BMWs and SOME Volvo car drivers have the same attitude.

If a Thai cop challenges you with such crxpola, just ask him to show you where in the Thai law it states IN WRITING that this is the case. He can't, so tell him exactly where to go. Ever so politely and with a smile, of course!

Any specific reason for this thread other than the OP being totally bored out of his mind and can't find anything else to do? Really, don't you think subject like this have been run into the ground or what?

At least come up with a topic that will enlighten people and maybe even put some people in a good mood as opposed to all this doom and gloom shit that is constantly put before us.

Tp put it simply, tell us something we don't already know Pal !!!

Any specific reason for this thread other than the OP being totally bored out of his mind and can't find anything else to do? Really, don't you think subject like this have been run into the ground or what?

At least come up with a topic that will enlighten people and maybe even put some people in a good mood as opposed to all this doom and gloom shit that is constantly put before us.

Tp put it simply, tell us something we don't already know Pal !!!

Who stole the jam out of your doughnut?

And where might 'home' be for you? Ceratinly not the UK or any other first world country with an unfounded statement of that sort. Ever heard of Driving Hours Regulations, minimum rest periods, digital tachographs that can't be fiddled? Professional drivers are far more alert and aware of road conditions than most amateurs can even begin to imagine. Try sitting for a UK Class 1 HGV or PCV licence (just try the theory test if you don't feel up to the real challenge) and you will see the huge demands on driving competence and situational awareness that are made. In my opinion even the UK car driving examination is far too easy, about 80% of UK amateur drivers should not be on the road in the first place.

Just curious what country does this law read in reverse? As well do you REALLY need a law to tell you this? Then how about the law of common sense? Personally I always give right of way to the larger vehicle without any law what-so-ever to tell me I have to and whether or not he actually HAS the right of way. Kind of like stopping on a red light, the light can't/won't stop or protect you only your own sense of self preservation and defensive driving will..

And where might 'home' be for you? Ceratinly not the UK or any other first world country with an unfounded statement of that sort. Ever heard of Driving Hours Regulations, minimum rest periods, digital tachographs that can't be fiddled? Professional drivers are far more alert and aware of road conditions than most amateurs can even begin to imagine. Try sitting for a UK Class 1 HGV or PCV licence (just try the theory test if you don't feel up to the real challenge) and you will see the huge demands on driving competence and situational awareness that are made. In my opinion even the UK car driving examination is far too easy, about 80% of UK amateur drivers should not be on the road in the first place.

+1 Agreed I prefer driving with a professional any day over the average unpredictable daily grocery getter or ballet mom/dad driver they are far more unpredictable and skittish and have a much greater ability and agility to make unpredictable moves then any truck ever will, especially at the speed these trucks are limited to traveling here. Be cautious and be aware but that goes without saying for me but there is no way a truck can be too unpredictable if you're paying attention, looking well ahead to read the road and driving defensively without tunnel vision.

...looking well ahead to read the road and driving defensively without tunnel vision.

Spot On!:)

Any decent professional driver is not just concentrating on reading 'his' own road, but everybody else's around him as well. He (or she) wil be aware what the 'average idiot road user' is likely to do before that thought has even occured to the 'average idiot' (which includes pedestrians). When you are driving a multi-tonne vehicle at any reasonable speed it doesn't stop on a sixpence when the brakes are applied. Also, when turning a corner, a long vehicle may have to swing out wide to clear the roadside before moving back in. So, give it room (give way), keep within braking distance and drive defensively and hopefully you will get you are going in one piece. Applies to any country in the world, but especially in those with poor traffic discipline, like Thailand.

Remember the old adage: 'Better to get there half and hour late than 30 years early...';)

I don't want to appear as an apologist for truckdrivers, but it seems things may be a little different in the hills. Minivan drivers and 4 x 4 drivers always adopt the racing line in the mountains and, in the words of the infamous Ted Bullpit, 'someone should blow them up'. Truckies, however, seem to have a degree of courtesy when driving in the mountains. Perhaps it is because they are having to drive so slowly, perhaps it is because they are away from the city influence. They always seem to move to the left and indicate when it is safe to pass and in the 200klms of highway 1095 leading to Maehongson, passing opportunities are few and far between.

Get behind a minivan or 4 x 4 on this road and you are screwed unless you are on a motorbike. Perhaps the bucolic environment mellows the truck drivers..who knows. They make it safe for me to pass and I always give them a wave as I go by.

Incidentally, motorcycling anywhere on the MHS loop is up there with the best locations in the world.

Eh??????????

They've got nothing to lose except their jobs. If they plow into you and crash up their boss' truck, they don't care. Their boss covers it, and they lose their job. In a place where people are accountable for their actions, they might lose a good job, versus a 300 baht a day job, and their insurance would be jacked up as well and affect them for the next 5 years.. They might also lose their licenses.. Here, they probably don't even have a license to begin with. They've got nothing to lose, so they drive with their eyes closed. This is simple economics.

<deleted>! Have an idea of what u are talking about before u sprout wings.

;)

...looking well ahead to read the road and driving defensively without tunnel vision.

Spot On!:)

Any decent professional driver is not just concentrating on reading 'his' own road, but everybody else's around him as well. He (or she) wil be aware what the 'average idiot road user' is likely to do before that thought has even occured to the 'average idiot' (which includes pedestrians). When you are driving a multi-tonne vehicle at any reasonable speed it doesn't stop on a sixpence when the brakes are applied. Also, when turning a corner, a long vehicle may have to swing out wide to clear the roadside before moving back in. So, give it room (give way), keep within braking distance and drive defensively and hopefully you will get you are going in one piece. Applies to any country in the world, but especially in those with poor traffic discipline, like Thailand.

Remember the old adage: 'Better to get there half and hour late than 30 years early...';)

I agree totally. bad driving is just bad driving no matter what vehicle you are in.

I think singling out trucks because they are bigger is a soft target, especially if you have no qualification to understand just how differently a large vehicle responds compared to a car. Those of us that do know how to read what other vehicles might be about to do.

Not to mention medical at age 45 and then every 5 years, not cheap, mine was 82 GBP in 2006. Plus carriage of dangerous goods/toxic materials. (ADR licence). I see a lot of Thai tankers over here with the ADR signs on (1202/1203) and often wonder if they took the same course as myself. The DVLA suspended my LGV, C + E, due to a heart condition, did get it back on appeal, after a good bit of help from Brit NHS. However by then I had enough of being stuck on the biggest roundabout in the world (M25) and retired to LOS.

Other factors include the EU working time directive, crap money for long unsociable hours, VOSA & Polish drivers!.

Be cautious and be aware but that goes without saying for me but there is no way a truck can be too unpredictable if you're paying attention, looking well ahead to read the road and driving defensively without tunnel vision.

That what you learn when driving a motorcycle in Europe.

Nobody see you, nobody realize how fast you drive. They never realize the small dot in their back/side mirror, will be next to them in a couple of seconds ....

And I agree with you, professional driver may not be the most considerate drivers, but they are far from unpredictable.

Be cautious and be aware but that goes without saying for me but there is no way a truck can be too unpredictable if you're paying attention, looking well ahead to read the road and driving defensively without tunnel vision.

That what you learn when driving a motorcycle in Europe.

Nobody see you, nobody realize how fast you drive. They never realize the small dot in their back/side mirror, will be next to them in a couple of seconds ....

And I agree with you, professional driver may not be the most considerate drivers, but they are far from unpredictable.

It's only common sense that when they have to make a move it isn't going to be very subtle and once they are doing it it's much harder and dangerous for them to make corrections then it is the average small car, pickup or motocy all of which react better in all aspects, be it turning, handling, braking or whatever so you have to work with them, understand and predict their moves it really isn't so difficult and stresses me not..

Anyone who has ever driven a big tuck knows that small cars and such are far more scary in how they react then any truck or other professional driver is..

Not to mention medical at age 45 and then every 5 years, not cheap, mine was 82 GBP in 2006. Plus carriage of dangerous goods/toxic materials. (ADR licence). I see a lot of Thai tankers over here with the ADR signs on (1202/1203) and often wonder if they took the same course as myself. The DVLA suspended my LGV, C + E, due to a heart condition, did get it back on appeal, after a good bit of help from Brit NHS. However by then I had enough of being stuck on the biggest roundabout in the world (M25) and retired to LOS.

Other factors include the EU working time directive, crap money for long unsociable hours, VOSA & Polish drivers!.

The fees have gone up since. It's £130 now.:blink:

Then you've been driving in the wrong areas.

Try highway 36 and you'll find that Thai drivers generally swerve and switch lanes on the highway constantly.

I have not found truck drivers here to be too bad at all. Now, minibus drivers ...

You must take into account the GVW of these rigs, their increased turning radius, longer stopping distance, lack of visibility, and most of all - their being very tired of dealing with all the yahoo's on the roads all day every day.post-81192-0-83635200-1322299803_thumb.j

The attached will show that I have some knowledge of the subject - taken last summer ...

I have not found truck drivers here to be too bad at all. Now, minibus drivers ...

You must take into account the GVW of these rigs, their increased turning radius, longer stopping distance, lack of visibility, and most of all - their being very tired of dealing with all the yahoo's on the roads all day every day.post-81192-0-83635200-1322299803_thumb.j

The attached will show that I have some knowledge of the subject - taken last summer ...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Hate vans, never really seen too many bad truck situations but then I give them a little leeway and benefit of the doubt. About 36 years of driving large trucks and heavy equipment. Here is one of my favorites. I could and did haul two bare D-8's side by side, 100 ton winch. I drove this as far as 26 miles NORTH of Prudhoe Bay on the frozen Arctic Oceanpost-49171-0-84852400-1322304860_thumb.j post-49171-0-75477800-1322304900_thumb.jpost-49171-0-97572600-1322304937_thumb.j

In Canada we call those 6 X 6 bed truck "Sows"

Can do most every job around.

I have driven the Ice Road since 2005 hauling fuel to the diamond mines north of Yellowknife, NT.

Also did a few runs to Tuk from Inuvik. Miles and miles of SFA.

I don't want to appear as an apologist for truckdrivers, but it seems things may be a little different in the hills. Minivan drivers and 4 x 4 drivers always adopt the racing line in the mountains and, in the words of the infamous Ted Bullpit, 'someone should blow them up'. Truckies, however, seem to have a degree of courtesy when driving in the mountains. Perhaps it is because they are having to drive so slowly, perhaps it is because they are away from the city influence. They always seem to move to the left and indicate when it is safe to pass and in the 200klms of highway 1095 leading to Maehongson, passing opportunities are few and far between.

Get behind a minivan or 4 x 4 on this road and you are screwed unless you are on a motorbike. Perhaps the bucolic environment mellows the truck drivers..who knows. They make it safe for me to pass and I always give them a wave as I go by.

Incidentally, motorcycling anywhere on the MHS loop is up there with the best locations in the world.

Nice post and agree with you.

I drive a lot and think the skills level of the truck drivers has come up a lot over the last 20 years.

Many are responsible and considerate road users.

I think the reason that those truck drivers are such gentlemen when in the mountains is because they know if they take the piss out of someone,like me for example,who in return creates an emergency situation which forces them to come to a standstil,will result in not be able to start moving again ;)