I Want A Thai Licence

sierra01

I think it's about time I applied for a Thai driving licence, car and motor cycle, what do I have to do and where do I have to do it? I have a full UK car and motor cycle licence but will they realise that it's a combined licence? I also have B visa and w/p, but still in the probationary period, not yet the full 1 year.

I don't know the exact procedure they use for a combined car/motorcycle license but it shouldn't make a difference.

Getting a Thai driver's license is pretty easy if you already have a current one from your home country. From what I remember, you simply need a letter from your embassy confirming your residence/address here in Thailand, your passport (so they can see your Non-immigrant visa), a couple one inch color photos (passport type) and your current home country driver's license. Find the motor vehicle office that services your area and head there. You'll also need to take along a Thai friend or family member who can translate for you since the forms are all in Thai.

They will issue you a temporary (1 year) license at first. When that one expires and you reapply, you'll get a five year license. From what I understand, you need a separate license for motorcycles and cars. As far as testing goes I didn't even need to take a driving test; one of the office staff gave me a short color blind test and that was it. The whole process took about an hour.

Edited by Thaiboxer

I don't see why the house rental agreement would be any trouble. My wife and I live at her parents' house and we had no trouble getting the letter even though my name isn't on the house registration. Make sure you have your passport handy to show them your B visa. Good luck!

Edited by Thaiboxer

There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum with full step-by-step instructions.

Do you have an IDP (International Driving Permit)? If not you will need to take a (basic) driving and written test, one for each licence (Thailand has separate car and m/c licences).

Any non-immi visa will do, you don't need a wp but you DO need either a letter from the embassy ($$$$) or from immigration (free, but not necessarily available unless you are doing 90 day reporting) confirming your address.

Take your wife / gf / bf along to assist with the forms.

I think it's about time I applied for a Thai driving licence, car and motor cycle, what do I have to do and where do I have to do it?  I have a full UK car and motor cycle licence but will they realise that it's a combined licence?  I also have B visa and w/p, but still in the probationary period, not yet the full 1 year.

Crossy is correct. You also need a IDP that has been issued by an approved agency in the country which issued you your driver's license. In the case of the UK, AA.

I have never had an IDP...only my Florida driver's license which had just been renewed two months prior to moving here. I didn't have to take any written or driving test. Perhaps it's different depending on which office you go to. I went to one on the outskirts of Bangkok near Chacheungsao.

I don't know about the written test but I heard the driving test is cake; you only have to drive like 10 meters or something. I used to think it was easy to get a license in Florida till I moved here!

I had an IDP when I first came out here but it's long since expired, I can probably get another one and avoid the tests.  I know they're supposed to be easy but with my luck they'll fail me just for tea money!

You can probably apply to AA for a IDP via their website and have it mailed to a UK address. I did that with AAA in Florida.

Get an IDP it makes things easier.

Got mine in C.M. in about 20 minutes and even passed the coloured lights test...

Question...what colour are the lights...Me.... wot lights?

The 3 coloured ones just in front of you......eh....Where?

touch and go but passed.... :o

One common comment I have seen here several times is that US/UK original drivers licences seem to be accepted directly - where other nationalities need the IDP - why? Probably the IDP is really used as a decent translation of all non-English written drivers licences. Cheers!