Honda 750 Custom Bike

DEVATSAR

post-137260-0-84889000-1322458372_thumb.post-137260-0-34662800-1322458325_thumb.post-137260-0-34662800-1322458325_thumb.post-137260-0-30025100-1322458252_thumb.post-137260-0-24011100-1322458135_thumb.Hi all

Just about to purchase a Honda 750, its about 25-30 tears old, needs a full restoration job to bring it up to show standard, I have restored a few English bikes in the UK. i have never restored this type of bike. The owner has the green book etc. I cant find out the mode/type of bike. I have been asked for 47,0000 baht for the bike. need to know from any of you guys the model etc, i have been recommended a bike company called VS MOTOR PATTAYA, off Thappasit Road near Soi 10. to carry out the restoration.

I have seen his work and was vert impressed. Any body else has recommendation would be grateful. Need chroming, powder coating,

So if anybody can help many thanks in advance,

What in your oppion would be a very rough idea of a "reasonable" price of a full resto ? in the UK you would be looking at somewhere in the region of 6-8 grand. I know doing this type of resto you can spend thousands but hey its my passion!!

Please see pictures of the bike, I am told the engine is finepost-137260-0-91992700-1322458078_thumb. obviously needs a new battery etc,

Any body knows a great Air Brush company that does quality detailed paint job ?

Cheers Guys

Paul

post-137260-0-45895500-1322458198_thumb.

needs a full restoration job to bring it up to show standard

And that is not an overstatement. Can't you see in the green book what model and year it is? You should also compare engine/chassi # to those in the book before money change hands. BTW has it been under water (in a lake) for a very long time, or maybe it's just the picture quality?

This is my '88 Honda Shadow 750. See any similarity? As noted above, the Greenbook will give all of the relevant information, but perhaps not the year manufactured if it was brought into Thailand one or more years after it was manufactured, which is often the case.

post-44514-0-76496000-1322462293_thumb.j

Edited by Thailaw

Are you sure the engine is a Honda? I am not familiar with a V-Twin 750 engine with a single overhead cam. (At least it looks like a SOHC from the photo, but it is a bit grainy.)

Apparenly the engine is from an "African Twin'

needs a full restoration job to bring it up to show standard

And that is not an overstatement. Can't you see in the green book what model and year it is? You should also compare engine/chassi # to those in the book before money change hands. BTW has it been under water (in a lake) for a very long time, or maybe it's just the picture quality?

Hi Semper,

I know exactly what I am taking on, done three classics before in UK, you should have seen them !!, i will post a few pictures of the bikes then you will REALLY see what a "basket case " is !! and then the finished project, might surprise you

The bike has never been in water, its been in a dry garage for some 15 years, never used. The horrible Matt black paint has covered everything. Anybody who has ever restored motor bikes knows you never really re-coup your hard earned BUT its never really done for money!

If you think you are going to make money by restoring a bike, think again.

Anybody who has ever restored motor bikes knows you never really re-coup your hard earned BUT its never really done for money!

If you think you are going to make money by restoring a bike, think again.

47K maybe OK if the book is genuine but if not nothing but trouble IMO.

Yeah!! Right, use to buy and re-build write-off's in the UK as a hobby but always made a little bit of dosh more than spent but nothing for the time it took.

Shadow's had 700 twins as well as 750, Africa twins had 650 and later 750 the Honda twins of models have many similarities so I suggest you do the following.

Take chassis and engine numbers email Honda's in Japan they are really helpful and they will tell you exactly where and when it was built, what it is the year etc etc.

Hope things work out OK.

Edited by Kwasaki

47k Baht for that POS?! Wow.... in most countries they would have to pay you to haul that piece of junk away... Good luck bro :whistling:

+1, a ripoff. 25K maybe?

Rebuilding in Thailand is a whole different experience than rebuilding in a developed country. Hate to think what you're in for.

47k Baht for that POS?! Wow.... in most countries they would have to pay you to haul that piece of junk away... Good luck bro :whistling:

+1, a ripoff. 25K maybe?

Rebuilding in Thailand is a whole different experience than rebuilding in a developed country. Hate to think what you're in for.

With respect try getting a green book, if the book is proved genuine then it's worth a shot if you really want it, no book wouldn't bother IMO.

In my opinion 47k, even with a book is a bit steep to be honest.

30k would be more like it, 47k could get you a nice VFR400 with a green book, i know it's a totally different bike but it just gives you and idea of how much this Thai is asking for that bike!

As i'm sure you know the brakes, wheel bearings and maybe the front and rear suspension will need overhauling for peace of mind after being owned by a Thai, 6k should cover that little lot. Budget more if the engine needs work, if the gearbox needs work, if you intend to paint it, if you wish to replace the perished tyres, if there are any electrical issues.

Providing the engine and box are fine i think you could get it looking nice for around the 47k he's asking PROVIDING you can get him down to 30k

Personally i would buy one of the 100's of similar bikes advertised every month that are in much better condition for around the price he's asking for. mocyc.com will give you plenty of inspiration.

Karl :)

Edited by karlos