Thai Atm Machines

ivan96822

Are there any ATM machines that you can slide your bank card through, as opposed to the machine sucking it in and "holding it" while you conduct your transaction? If so, where? (I will be based mostly in the Sukhumvit area).

Also, what is the best thing to do if an ATM machine sucks in my American bank card? What are my options?

This is DIRECTLY RELATED to "Farang Pub - Fun," because obviously, as I will be staying in the Sukhumvit area to have fun, I will not want to be walking around with tons of Thai baht on me, but I will be needing regular access to Thai baht from a local ATM machine.

Please let me know. If you have horror stories, solutions, or anything of relevance to this topic, it would be mostly appreciated. Thanks.

I can understand not wanting to carry a lot of cash around but keep in mind the Thai bank will charge you 150 Baht for the transaction and your home bank will probably charge you as well (mine charge $5 CAD so it's about 300 baht in just fees each time I use my home bank's ATM card).

You saw those belts with pockets ?

I had a better one made in robust leather for 1000 baht,

and in one of those pockets i carry a knife in a quick draw,

that knife has a button that trigger the blade, and when i draw my thumb will be right at it.

I had the belt 2-3 years now and it's as good as ever.

Probably gonna cost 1500 now, but a thief would absolutely alert you trying to get anything.

Those belts at market cost perhaps 400, and will wear out in 3 months, but i think it would be a good idea to buy a couple for you to find out how you want it arranged before having the best you can think of hand made

Edited by poanoi

that knife has a button that trigger the blade, and when i draw my thumb will be right at it.

Probably gonna cost 1500 now, but a thief would absolutely alert you trying to get anything.

Those belts at market cost perhaps 400, and will wear out in 3 months, but i think it would be a good idea to buy a couple for you to find out how you want it arranged before having the best you can think of hand made

Thanks for the speedy replies....I understand that there are bank fees, and I have no desire to carry around a kangaroo pouch containing cash....

Simple question, friends: And, as I must assert myself at times, or re-iterate, or re-emphasize, I have been to BKK and know the nuances, ups/downs, etc....which brings me back to the crux of my inquiry:

Aside from bank fees, both local, US, etc....Is/Are there ATM machines that can conduct transactions by "sliding through" as opposed to "feeding in / sucking in / depositing" my trusted MC American bank card. If not, scream NO in my forum's face....if yes, please provide from logistical information that will benefit my self-serving priority of being back in BKK but not being schmuck about simple bank transactions.

Thank you in advance for all ambitious members who would like to contribute to this conversation, and thanks to those who are more in the know and can provide some cynical information to this realistic inquiry, but in all seriousness, I like to get to the nitty gritty of things and get some concrete information that may or may not serve me well. Just the facts, people, and please, no TIT stuff. I get, got it...good.

Thanks for the speedy replies....I understand that there are bank fees, and I have no desire to carry around a kangaroo pouch containing cash....

Simple question, friends: And, as I must assert myself at times, or re-iterate, or re-emphasize, I have been to BKK and know the nuances, ups/downs, etc....which brings me back to the crux of my inquiry:

Aside from bank fees, both local, US, etc....Is/Are there ATM machines that can conduct transactions by "sliding through" as opposed to "feeding in / sucking in / depositing" my trusted MC American bank card. If not, scream NO in my forum's face....if yes, please provide from logistical information that will benefit my self-serving priority of being back in BKK but not being schmuck about simple bank transactions.

Thank you in advance for all ambitious members who would like to contribute to this conversation, and thanks to those who are more in the know and can provide some cynical information to this realistic inquiry, but in all seriousness, I like to get to the nitty gritty of things and get some concrete information that may or may not serve me well. Just the facts, people, and please, no TIT stuff. I get, got it...good.

No,the slider machines went out with the ark because they where so easy to kyte.Why are you so worried about getting your card sucked in?

Do they still have slider machine thingy majigs in the states!

You're obviously worried about it so I suggest you do your bank transactions diring daytime and use a machine at a bank. That way you may be able to retrieve your card if it is eaten up by the machine.

You're worrying over little imo....the machines are easy to use....just expect the money to arrive before it spits your card back at you!

I bought a snake skin belt from a guy in the bar once . It was really nice and had a secret zipper compartment that only customs officers and police men knew about , but it did look really cool and went well with my zebra skin brothel creepers .

You have more worries that your card will get skimmed(cloned)than the bank sucking it in,like smokie says if you are really worried just use your card at a bank the am then if it does happen you can go inside and they can retrieve it for you.

As you said in your opening piece you know Thailand and you know the Suk.... the point being it is not atm's sucking your card that is the main concern it's the other sucking that goes on around Sukhumvitbiggrin.gif

A decent safe in your room/apartment is essential. You can get larger sums (fee-less) from any bank with your passport and can even play the exchange rate game a bit by looking at the mini-trends that happen. Ration yourself from your safe, not an ATM. The card company will still charge , although Saga has just brought out a new cedit card with no foreign transaction fees.

ATM fees are an absolute crippler both for the 150 baht and the card fee it'self. I think rates can vary too, usually on the low side.

If I use a machine II only use bank ATM ones ie. those outside a bank, as if there is a card loss. you know from where to claim it back.

If your card gets sucked into an ATM, you need to go into the bank and get them to take it out of the machine and give it back to you. Thus try and use ATMs attached to banks rather than standalone ones. You will probably need to show some ID to get it back (passport). This has happened to me in the past, but not that often. Also don't try your card more than three times in one go, otherwise it might take it.

Best bet is to get an account in Thailand and transfer money over. The costs of using an ATM are too expensive if you are in Thailand more than a holiday. There are loads of cheap ways to send money over from your home country now, and with a bit of planning you can anticipate how much you need and send it in advance. I can for example transfer from the UK to my Kasikorn account now within one working day (sometimes 2 days). So if you cash is running low, have a couple of cheap days while waiting for your money to arrive :)

I would add that its much safer leaving your money in a Thai bank than a hotel safe and its a pain in the ass drawing money on an ATM and then having to deposit it in your Thai account. So the foreign transfer method is the way to go.

My final tip is ensure you have lots of ways to get money. God (if you believe in him) gave you two of most things incase one breaks (eyes, kidneys, hands, ears, testicles). Thus it pays to have two Thai bank accounts at different banks and multiple ways to draw and get money, two Thai internet banking accounts, etc. I think you get the idea?

Edited by MaiChai

I thought for a moment you was going to advocate selling body parts^

I'm glad you suggested that as I was starting to feel inadequate with only my SCB card and I suppose my gob...!biggrin.gif

Your never inadequate around Sukumvit if you any type of ATM biggrin.gif edit... to add and a gob.... man or woman!!

Edited by MrRed

I thought for a moment you was going to advocate selling body parts^

I'm glad you suggested that as I was starting to feel inadequate with only my SCB card and I suppose my gob...!biggrin.gif

Your never inadequate around Sukumvit if you any type of ATM biggrin.gif edit... to add and a gob.... man or woman!!

Great posts, people, and thanks for the supportive and informative advice. Mai Chai mentions opening a bank account (or accounts) up in Bangkok, which sounds very practical and ambitious. HOWEVER, I was under the impression that in order to open a bank account in LOS, one needs to be in possession of a work permit???

If it is possible to open up a bank account without a work permit, I of course would be interested in doing so. Can any of you please clarify whether the work permit is a requirement for opening an account in BKK? Also, if it is not, what are some of the preferred banks that you know of? Also, what is the minimum that needs to be deposited into the BKK account in order to be "accepted" as a customer of the bank?

Again, thanks for the responses and I look forward to your informative and insightful feedback.

Okay....so it's been a while and still I see no responses....Can anyone provide information related to obtaining a local BKK bank account? Do I need a work permit? What is the minimum amount required to open such an account, if it is possible? What sort of documents should I bring along?

Looking forward to some valuable input.

Thanks.

Okay....so it's been a while and still I see no responses....Can anyone provide information related to obtaining a local BKK bank account? Do I need a work permit? What is the minimum amount required to open such an account, if it is possible? What sort of documents should I bring along?

Thanks.

You can open an account with your passport and an address. Any address will do as they won't be sending you out anything. Fee will typically be around 1k Baht a year for this.

Card will be made there and then. Try Siam Commercial Bank or others until you find one which is amenable.

Thanks.

You can open an account with your passport and an address. Any address will do as they won't be sending you out anything. Fee will typically be around 1k Baht a year for this.

Card will be made there and then. Try Siam Commercial Bank or others until you find one which is amenable.

Thanks a lot, Smokie. I hope there is a Siam Commercial Bank in the Sukhumvit area?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot, Smokie. I hope there is a Siam Commercial Bank in the Sukhumvit area?

Try every bank you pass until one agrees. Perseverence is the key here...oh and an english speaking bank worker who can be bothered.

Highly recommend Kasikorn. Been with them for at least 10 years and their service has always been excellent, and they go out of their way to help you. They also have good internet banking, which you can use when abroad to pay bills, top up mobile phones, send money to people, etc. If you get their 400 baht ATM card, it comes with accident insurance for free, and you can use it to get some money knocked off hospital bills (non accident).

Bangkok Bank I find unfriendly. Always putting up obsticals to stop you doing things.

Edited by MaiChai