Christmas Dinner In Bangkok?

HalfSquat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always like how some of the very customer oriented businesses do such a great job with their websites in communicating with the public. Take Bully's Pub, for instance. Under it's "Coming Events" web page, it's listing odd events from 2006. ph34r.png

Even so, Bully's does now have two chalkboard signs out in front advertising both a Christmas Eve set menu dinner, and a Christmas Day buffet dinner, as follows:

post-58284-0-85104200-1324659967_thumb.j

post-58284-0-29305800-1324659965_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Anyone know if Bourbon St normally fills up for the Christmas Eve or Christmas Day buffet? Or am I likely safe to drop by.

I am not sure about going, and I feel bad if i make a reservation and then don't show up.

I've been several times and I've been fine just showing up. I've always been alone or in a very small group and sometimes I've had to sit at the bar due to crowding. If you're in a bigger group might have to wait but I think you'll get seated

As an aside, as there seems to be some knowledgeable posters here, how does the Londoner's regular Sunday offering compare to Molly Malone's? I eat at MM's regularly, but have never tried the Londoner.

Bonobo, I've tried both...but certainly had MM's far more times than The Londoner...

Comparing the two, I'd say the selection at The Londoner is broader, and of course the price is higher... When I was there, for example, they had a selection of chilled fresh seafood like mussels and an assortment of tiny deserts, for example.

But between the two, I tend to prefer MM's.... partly because they have a better price. But mainly because I particularly like the selections that MM's does offer consistently, the steamed broccoli, the cauliflower in sauce, and the au gratin sliced potatoes, along with the lamb, beef and pork roast consistently offered.

I particularly like roast lamb and roast beef, and I don't recall those being offered when I visited The Londoner for their Sunday buffet... Although, Molly's has seemed to have a recurring problem with serving up a beef roast that's anything other than tough as shoe leather.

BTW, as far as everyday lunch buffets are concerned, two of the best I've found outside the pricey 5 star hotel variety are at the S31 Hotel on Sukhumvit Road and the Majestic Grand Hotel's 7th flood eatery on Suk Soi 2... Both around 300 baht per person, and usually both have one kind of roast offered, often pork, But the rest of their offerings are quite good and very diverse -- sushi/sashimi, fresh chilled seafood, Thai and western entrees, a large selection of very good desert choices, salads, etc etc etc.

The chef at the Majestic Grand for their buffet is regularly turning out food choices that are every bit the match of the most expensive hotels around BKK... although the available items may be different... such as no roast prime rib or fresh King Crab there... But what they offer is very good.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As an aside, as there seems to be some knowledgeable posters here, how does the Londoner's regular Sunday offering compare to Molly Malone's? I eat at MM's regularly, but have never tried the Londoner.

Bonobo, I've tried both...but certainly had MM's far more times than The Londoner...

Comparing the two, I'd say the selection at The Londoner is broader, and of course the price is higher... When I was there, for example, they had a selection of chilled fresh seafood like mussels and an assortment of tiny deserts, for example.

But between the two, I tend to prefer MM's.... partly because they have a better price. But mainly because I particularly like the selections that MM's does offer consistently, the steamed broccoli, the cauliflower in sauce, and the au gratin sliced potatoes, along with the lamb, beef and pork roast consistently offered.

I particularly like roast lamb and roast beef, and I don't recall those being offered when I visited The Londoner for their Sunday buffet... Although, Molly's has seemed to have a recurring problem with serving up a beef roast that's anything other than tough as shoe leather.

Thanks.

I rather like Molly Malones. I like the salad and the soup (especially when it is tomato), and I really like the lamb and the pork. The lamb may be the best I have had in Bangkok. The beef is hit or miss, and the ham so-so. The sides are good, too. (One weird thing is the butter for the bread tastes almost vanilla-like, something brought up in another recent thread.)

Every dessert is the apple crumble. In fact, when deciding to go there on a given Sunday, my friend and I just ask if we want apple crumble, not asking about the place by name.

I am torn for Christmas, though. I didn't get a turkey with enough time to defrost and then brine it, and some of these prices seem rather exorbitant, so unless I go for Bourbon Street or something, I am going to have to figure out what to cook. Thanks for gathering all the info here in your posts, though, so I can make a rational choice.

Indeed, I always enjoy MM's roast lamb... And I can't recall seeing that offered elsewhere in BKK, at least among the non ritzy hotel options. Likewise, the apple crumble at Molly's in a favorite of mine as well...

Just a quick tale of Thanksgiving a year ago when I was back in the U.S. to visit with family... They wanted to get a take-out turkey dinner with trimmings from a nearby Marie Calendars, so I drove by several days beforehand to check about making a reservation/purchase.

The MC staff explained to me that they were offering like a $99 package with sliced turkey and the various other side dishes... That seemed a bit high, to say the least, for 4-6 people. But while I was there, I was looking at their regular takeout menu and saw they had a regular turkey dinner package for $40 with most of the same items, except for a few and a pie.

The catch was, on Thanksgiving and the day before, they were only selling the $99 package. But if I agreed to pick up the dinner before Thanksgiving Eve, then they'd be happy to sell me the $40 turkey dinner package. Needless to say, I took the $40 package and stored it in the frig for two days until Thanksgiving.... Perfectly fine.

Thus, here and now, I think I'll wait a day or two until after the wave of 2000 to 3000 baht per person Christmas dinners have passed.

BTW, the Sunday roast at the Landmark Hotel's Huntsman Pub deserves to be considered in the same general category as MM and The Londoner. As I recall, the Huntsman's regular pricing is pretty close to The Londoner's, but I found the Huntsman's general offerings to be at a higher level.

If anything, I like the relative economy of MM's...economy in the sense that, I can have a plate of lamb with side dishes, a second plate of beef with side dishes, and a third plate of pork with side dishes...and at that point, I'm stuffed and done.

Last time I tried the Huntsman's Sunday roast, there was literally too much food to try and eat... I looked around, and I wanted to try this and I wanted to try that... But I couldn't come anywhere close to having enough stomach room to sample all the different things that looked good....

I remember reading the recent advertisements from the Tai Pan...and thought they were supposed to be doing more seasonal things than just the turkey alone...

So other than the turkey, they didn't serve up any other traditional holiday menu items??? Potatoes, stuffing, cranberry, roasts, pumpkin and/or mincemeat pies? etc etc etc???

I remember reading the recent advertisements from the Tai Pan...and thought they were supposed to be doing more seasonal things than just the turkey alone...

So other than the turkey, they didn't serve up any other traditional holiday menu items??? Potatoes, stuffing, cranberry, roasts, pumpkin and/or mincemeat pies? etc etc etc???

There was a beef joint, sweet potatoes and chestnuts (very few), stuffing as well and there was a Yule log, that was hardly touched, and like a tube of Christmas pudding, the rest was mostly Asian food, like fish with garlic and lemon, deep fried sweet and sour fish, duck with red beans, fried pork, Salmon with lobster sauce, sweets included pumpin pie, apple pie, blueberry pie, strawberry pie, ice cream

For me it is Turkey, sage and onion stuffing with sausage meat, Roast potatoes, brussels and a few other veggies, Christmas pudding that looks like a pudding.

Certainly thought it would be better using their pictures as guidance, but it was okay, and like I said I did eat a lot, and must have covered my costs.

Next year might try a pub.

Interesting... I was just reading back thru the 2010 version of this same Christmas dinners thread here on TV, and there were quite a few places doing things last year that I haven't heard a whit about this year...

--Silver Dollar Bar Washington Square

--Madrid in Patpong

--Big Mango Bar in Nana

--Texas Lone Star Washington Square (since closed)

Even a mention last year that Bully's Pub was going to be offering set plates of turkey for lunch in the week between Christmas and New Year... Leftovers, I'd presume. Wonder if they're planning the same for this year...

If anyone knows about such post-Christmas offerings at more down to earth prices, please do post them here....

Some of us will still have an appetite for turkey even after Christmas Day has passed.