How Much Have Prices Gone Up?

BuffaloRescue

Im trying to work this out in real terms.

When i first came to thailand in 2001 as a Backpacker i stayed on Khaosan road. I stayed a few nights in a horrible room for 120 baht a night before moving to an air-con for 500.

How much are rooms on KSR these days (sorry I have no idea)

I remember you could get a meal there for about 56 baht.. but I was so poor I ate off the street pad thai cart for 20 baht.

These days if I go to phuket i stay in cheap rooms there for about 1000-1500 baht. How much are the huts on koh phangan these days.. i remember they were like 200 baht for a fan beach hut.. and meals there were 60-100 baht.

I live a different lifestyle these day, im older and have more money also factoring in inflation etc. Inflation doesnt seem to have done much to house prices in Chiang Mai, unless we are talking high end in the best locations etc. Food has roughly doubled in 10 years especially meat.

Beer... well i remember drinking large 60 baht changs on khaosan road.. and when i go out in Chiang mai i can still get a large change for 70 baht, The exchange rate has gone down a lot, I remember 70 baht to the pound. Girlie bars.. I think i remember 50 baht happy hours.. and I still see these today. Phuket is seems a lot more expensive for booze but Pattaya is still cheap.

Prices I would of expected to have gone up but it is still not nearly as much as the country I came from.

Notice one thing that land prices have gone up very much in 7 years around here.

I would say fuel has been the one that's gone up and down the most but has just gone down recently.

Seven years ago say diesel 18 bht per Ltr here and now 29bht, see it as much as 43 bht.

Currency has always fluctuated and I have always calculated at 50 to the £ other times it was just a bonus.

You can still get a bowl of noodles for 20bht in our market and little Thai places.

Most of the Thai restaurants around here are only 30 bht for meals.

You mention Phuket, last year we paid 700bht for a terraced type bungalow room with small kitchen and bathroom, I would say it was a backpackers type of place and still eat in some Thai places for 30 and 40 bht, you can tell the places who caters for tourists a mile off.

Seven years back paid 40bht for a large bottle of what is called Chang classic now and only pay 50 bht now, I will go without and buy in 7-11 or buy a box of Chang if they want to charge more than 60 bht, some Thai people will moan away and still only pay 45 bht.

As for your post " Replying to how much have prices gone up " I would say " not a lot ". :D

As for your post " Replying to how much have prices gone up " I would say " not a lot ". :D

Clearly you do not fly too much, internally or long distance. How about doing a comparison with air tickets now and 5 years ago!

When you've finished doing that, take a stroll down the local market and find out how much a kg pork/beef/chicken is now.

Not everyone's life style is based on the price of Chang

ph34r.gif

A few months ago I went to the KSR area and was surprised that the old wooden GH I stayed in 1984 was still existing. Nothing seems to have changed there, maybe even the mattresses were the same.

Just out of curiosity I asked the prices, 150 Bt for a small mosquito infested room, 200 Bt for a bigger, mosquito infested room. No a/c, only fan.

At that time, we didn't drink beer, as it was too expensive. Just Mekong Whisky with Coke.

And I was not aware of bar fines either. Chicks were free then. But that hasn't changed very much either :)

In 1984 the bar fine at Soi Cowboy was 250 baht, try find that today.

in 1973 the total cost of a "package" was 300 Baht :ph34r:

In 1990 the total cost all in for ST at the Blue House bar in Pattaya was 200 Baht and long time total price was 400 these prices include the barfine. !!

Beer was 25 Baht a bottle.

Clearly you do not fly too much, internally or long distance. How about doing a comparison with air tickets now and 5 years ago!

When you've finished doing that, take a stroll down the local market and find out how much a kg pork/beef/chicken is now.

Not everyone's life style is based on the price of Chang

ph34r.gif

Relax, calm down, not everyone is as lucky as me and what would I be wanting to walk down to a market for.:rolleyes:

As for flying my daughter works for BA so flights have never been that expensive for me anyway, internal flights haven't gone up that much IMO.

The family breed their own chickens and pigs, use to do cows but the meat is as tough as old boots and the softeners are bad for consumers.

The OP referred to beer prices so sorry for liking a cheap beer.:blink:

It is true that some things have gone up more than others, but naturally the trend is up. This is so even with Beer Chang. I well remember the promotions of a few years ago with 3 large bottles for 100 baht. Now the more interesting bars in my local Isaan town charge 70 or 80 baht for a bottle and 10 or 20 baht for a bucket of ice. The hotel discos charge about 100 baht a bottle. Of course, this is still much cheaper than the price of a small bottle in say Nana. Incidentally I don't go out much these days, but did see a blast from the past recently - Sao BG Beer Carlsberg. She and it were back and on promotion!

Sorry, no idea. I've been coming to/living in Bangkok since 1993...and I've never been to Khaosan Road. cool.gif

Go to the Occupy Wall Street bitch feasts. you'll see the same sights except for the Pad Thai stalls.

In 1984 the bar fine at Soi Cowboy was 250 baht, try find that today.

in 1973 the total cost of a "package" was 300 Baht :ph34r:

Package ??

Drugs or what ?

It is the "What" Usually includes Bar Fine, Girl, Short time room and sometimes condom. STDs are a no cost extra without the condoms and for some viruses, e.g., Herpes, they can tag along with or without the condom.

Beer... well i remember drinking large 60 baht changs on khaosan road.. and when i go out in Chiang mai i can still get a large change for 70 baht, The exchange rate has gone down a lot, I remember 70 baht to the pound. Girlie bars.. I think i remember 50 baht happy hours.. and I still see these today. Phuket is seems a lot more expensive for booze but Pattaya is still cheap.

I bought 3 large chang classic for 139bht (+20 ice) last night in CM, bar had uni students pouring and a good live band.

Local Thai prices haven't gone up much from when I came here a while ago, but tourist prices have risen.

Lunch today, red curry gai with rice in a nice air-con restaurant 35bht.

Pad Thai gai in a very popular Thai outdoor restaurant 35bht.

Edited by ludditeman