Phuket International Hospital - Why So Called?

RDN

I am curious about the Thai name of "Phuket International Hospital" because nearly all signs in Thai say simply "Siriroj Hospital".

So why the grand sounding "Phuket International" name in English? Why not call it "Siriroj Hospital"? Is it purely a marketing ploy to attract foreigners?

I would guess it is just a marketing ploy to attract foreigners (and a successful one at that as I have always seen more foreigners there than at Vachira for example). It does, however, seem better run and better equipped than your standard Thai hospital. My personal experiences there have always been positive, though I must admit that I prefer Bangkok-Phuket hospital in Samkong, although now the name on the entrance and stationary just reads Bangkok Hospital (so maybe a name change there too).

They have a book which (I think) explains about their history, it is called "Healthy Living in Phuket". You might want to email the Manager of Internaotinal Services, Peter Davison, as well. He writes a column for the Hospital in the Phuket Post. Did a very good article on Bird Flu recently, well worth a read.