Motorbikes On The Sidewalk?

zziffle

I'll be applying for my Thai driver's license in the next few days. I've got a valid BC (Canada) license and IDP, and understand I'll just need to get a medical and take a quick written test.

Somewhere on this forum I read that one of the questions on the test may be "Is it legal to drive a motorbike on the sidewalk" and that the unexpected answer is "yes".

Now, certainly just because it's posted on TV doesn't make it true, but on the other hand, just because it defies common sense doesn't make it false. Anyone got the real poop on this one?

Any other hints or tips about what sort of questions I might encounter would be greatly appreciated.

It is not a written test, it's a practical test if you already have a licence.

Consists of a woman who points to a colour blindness chart with just 3 colours, simple.

Next sit in a chair and hit the foot pedal on the floor when the light on the unit in front of you turns red, even if you mess it up first time, no worries....just do it again.

Next you have to line up two bars by using a backwards and forwards lever, hard to explain but simple.

Get your medical cert for 100baht at the hospital about 300m before the test/licencing centre on the same side, just 2 minute medical eg. blood pressure, that's about it.

You also need your residency certificate from Immigration (next to airport), which is 500baht.If you have a tourist visa a max of 1 year temporary licence will be issued.

Remember, there are 2 licences, one for car and one for bike, issued at the same time.

Think I paid 360baht for the two the other day.

Edited by kjhbigv

when i did mine i passed all the test easy,i watched a few thais that failed the brake test at lest 5 times.in the end they passed with alittle help.it was funny to watch and so simple to do.just brake when you see the red light

It would have been much easier for them,if they had switched the brake with the throttle pedal.:D

Consists of a woman who points to a colour blindness chart with just 3 colours, simple.

Next sit in a chair and hit the foot pedal on the floor when the light on the unit in front of you turns red, even if you mess it up first time, no worries....just do it again.

Next you have to line up two bars by using a backwards and forwards lever, hard to explain but simple.

Get your medical cert for 100baht at the hospital about 300m before the test/licencing centre on the same side, just 2 minute medical eg. blood pressure, that's about it.

You also need your residency certificate from Immigration (next to airport), which is 500baht.If you have a tourist visa a max of 1 year temporary licence will be issued.

Remember, there are 2 licences, one for car and one for bike, issued at the same time.

All yes except for the tests. Yes the colour blindness test and the reaction test but then VERY DIFFERENT

I went to renew my 5 year licences recently and had to sit through a 1 hour video ( in English) about Thai traffic laws. ( including one bit that said 'if you have an accident you must not get out and punch the other guy, wait for the insurance man or the police'!!!!!!!) I did not have to take a test but two other guys were given a booklet ,told to read it and come back in the afternoon to take a test. I think there was also a driving/parking practical. Two licences cost me 980 baht. I was there most of the morning, the others would be there in the afternoon. No need for me to get a medical, not sure about the others, I think not.

Edited by msg362

The first issued license is always 1 year then you come back before expriation and the give you the 5 year. I donot know about Chiang Mai but in some cases you have to get the letter of residence from your Embassy as immigration may not have a record of your residence, no 90 day reports.

The first issued license is always 1 year then you come back before expriation and the give you the 5 year. I donot know about Chiang Mai but in some cases you have to get the letter of residence from your Embassy as immigration may not have a record of your residence, no 90 day reports.

Correct, the first licence is 1 year.

Depends on what Visa you have to get a 5 year, I have had 3 Non-Imm O visa's but stupidly forgot to renew my licence during the last one, now only have a triple entry tourist visa and was told ALL tourist visa's only qualify for a 1 year licence.

I have got a letter of residence before from the Embassy and cost a ridiculous 2000 baht or so!

In CM it is sufficient at Immigration to fill out a form to get a letter of residence.

I am confused... Some of you seem to be talking about the standard test to get a CAR drivers license... The OP is referring to MOTORCYCLE license which I thought had a written test and a short motorcycle driving course test?... Isn't that what one needs to do to get a motorcycle license?

Western Common sense - politically correct

Thai common sense - what makes your life easier.

I prefer the Thai way and see nothing wrong with riding on a sidewalk as long as you are not going at fast speeds :)

Western Common sense - politically correct

Thai common sense - what makes your life easier.

I prefer the Thai way and see nothing wrong with riding on a sidewalk as long as you are not going at fast speeds :)

And make sure you honk the horn if an old lady is in the way!

you need the following documents:

1. Original Medical Certificate

2. Original certificate of Residency

3. Copy of your passport ID page

4. Copy of your visa page plus exit card

5. Copy of your existing driver's license - front and back

there are 3 tests:

1. Eyesight/reaction

2. Written test (exempted if you hold a valid license)

3. Driving test (exempted if you hold a valid license)

I understand you have to bring your own motorcycle/car for the driving test. :)

And just to be different:

I believe that it's against the law for motor cycles to be driven on the sidewalk, this being true since a law was passed two years ago to control/govern Bangkok's motorcycle taxi's, naturally there is however little enforcement of that law.

And just to be different:

I believe that it's against the law for motor cycles to be driven on the sidewalk, this being true since a law was passed two years ago to control/govern Bangkok's motorcycle taxi's, naturally there is however little enforcement of that law.

In that case I suggest that they update the video shown when you get to apply for a drivers license.

I am confused... Some of you seem to be talking about the standard test to get a CAR drivers license... The OP is referring to MOTORCYCLE license which I thought had a written test and a short motorcycle driving course test?... Isn't that what one needs to do to get a motorcycle license?

You do the reactions with both; in fact, it's all the same barring the driving car bit for car license, riding motorbike bit for bike license. If you have either license from home (as op does), as said, they negate practical.

Op. While rabble is sitting through group vid, you, being farang (?) get to sit at computer (or read a book) where it's in English. You won't need to answer any questions or do the practical (afaik), because you already have a license.

Be sure to get there before 9 for the first wave as they go through in groups. Think the next one is 11ish.

If you already have a motorcycle license in your home country and you have an IDP that shows that, all you have to do is the three tests (color blindness, reaction time, and depth perception). No written test and no driving test. I was in and out in less than an hour when I did mine here in CM last March. Same for the car license. I did both at the same time. You do still need the medical and residency certs as noted in other posts.

David