Verys Versus D-Tracker

I've been riding a Nouvo 135 in Bangkok for a couple of years, and yes it's convenient but I don't really enjoy it. In the UK I loved my Triumph 955 Sprint and in India I liked by Enfield Bullet (made up in character for what it lacked in power) but the Nouvo is just a way to get to 7-11, and I find the light weight, small size, skinny tyres and average brakes a bit unnverving on any longer rides.

The eye-watering cost of an import is too much for me - so it has to be a Kawasaki. Main use would be a short Bangkok commute and the odd longer ride out of the city.

I've riden the Versys and the D-Tracker and was impressed with both.

The Versys seems very comfortable, quite quick and ideal for rides out, but heavy for Bangkok traffic. When moving it rides light, but when squeezing through traffic it felt fat.

The D-Tracker has more grunt than I expected after reading comments on TV, even in restricted form. It's really nimble in traffic and looks good, but the fuel tank is tiny for longer distance work and luggage could be a problem.

Views would be appreciated as I'm currently 50:50.

Thanks

I had a D-Tracker, and now have a Versys. While the D-Tracker was my first bike and I really didn't know how to properly ride it motard-style - I regret that now - I recently rented a KLX250 so I think I can compare.

It's just like you said. Versys will be happier long distance as the D-Tracker is rather slow on the highway. D-Tracker is way lighter and more fun around town. In the twisties the D-Tracker is more fun too - if you know how to ride it.

I'd go with a D-Tracker, unless you plan on doing lots of longer trips or you like to go fast... I am using the Versys for commuting in Chiang Mai - I don't mind the weight + the acceleration is helpful sometimes to get out of situations.

I got over 30 km / liter with the D-Tracker in restricted mode, and about 25 when it was de-resricted. Versys is more like 16 but it very much depends on how much you like to twist the throttle. Just recently met a rider who got 22(!)...

I would also go for the D-Tracker, the Versys is to big for the city, good for longer rides, but that would make sense if you ride out of town often.

I got the KLX250 and I have a great rear rack (which fits the D-Tracker) and today I finally got my Sargant Seat and installed it immediately. What a difference - wow! It is about an inch lower and much wider then the original saddle. I am happy with it.

Here a couple of pics before, comparison and after.

Enjoy...

klx-01.jpg

klx-02.jpg

klx-03.jpg

klx-04.jpg

klx-05.jpg

klx-06.jpg

klx-07.jpg

klx-08.jpg

klx-09.jpg

klx-10.jpg

Ditto on a D-Tracker recommendation. Yes it's not a great bike for long highway miles but the fab upside to that is you stick to secondary roads which are more satisfying.

I bought the D-T when they were first release and have enjoyed, quickly forgetting that it is not as powerful as the MX bikes I owned in Canada. When the Versys was released even my wife agreed I should get one, but because there was already 4 bikes in our small parking area I should sell my D-Tracker. Decided not to because without it I would be; using an auto scoot around town, the weight and size of handling the bike in parking could be a pain, and being was less likely to ride the mixed serviced roads close to Chiang Mai I enjoy so much. Have completed many rides from 1200 to 3500 km, with the D-T, with my son riding pillion, and he's not a feather weight. When he is skilled enough for long travels riding his own bike I will seriously consider a Versys. And that bring up another reason for not buying one (yet!) is with a 650 my speeds with a pillion would be faster, and the speeds I enjoy with a pillion can easily be met with a 250.

IMG_0171.JPG

Plus the D-T has been a fun bike to drive around Bangkok.

Cheers

yannic - Thanks for sharing the pics of your new seat. The D-Tracker's stock seat is my biggest complaint. The Sargent seat looks very nice. Sure you can get local shops to do a new seat for much cheaper but I like the look & trust the workmanship of the Sargent seat much more than what I've seen from the local jobs. I may order 1 & carry it back from the states when I go at the end of the month.

Ditto on a D-Tracker recommendation. Yes it's not a great bike for long highway miles but the fab upside to that is you stick to secondary roads which are more satisfying.

I bought the D-T when they were first release and have enjoyed, quickly forgetting that it is not as powerful as the MX bikes I owned in Canada. When the Versys was released even my wife agreed I should get one, but because there was already 4 bikes in our small parking area I should sell my D-Tracker. Decided not to because without it I would be; using an auto scoot around town, the weight and size of handling the bike in parking could be a pain, and being was less likely to ride the mixed serviced roads close to Chiang Mai I enjoy so much.

This pretty much sums up my thinking as well. I've had a D-Tracker for 3 years & for a while was seriously considering selling it & getting a Versys. Nope, I'm going to stick with the D-Tracker, though I'll definitely (and finally) do something about the seat.

yannic - Thanks for sharing the pics of your new seat. The D-Tracker's stock seat is my biggest complaint. The Sargent seat looks very nice. Sure you can get local shops to do a new seat for much cheaper but I like the look & trust the workmanship of the Sargent seat much more than what I've seen from the local jobs. I may order 1 & carry it back from the states when I go at the end of the month.

yes the stock seat is just awful. On my DR650 I had a Corbin seat, I wanted to get one first but I could not get in contact with them they never answered to me also the Corbin is very heavy. When the Sargent arrived I thought it is nothing inside the box so light is the seat. On the down side I have to say order such a seat from the US or elsewhere is just dam_n expensive, they charged me 4.7k Baht taxes and customs. Also I had to order the seat via the local distributor from Singapore. So yes bring it over from the US it's the best idea.

Yes I do like the Versys too and since I sold my DR650 in the Philippines I am also looking for a bigger bike and put my eyes on the Versys, but that would be manly for touring like BBB is doing it. But as a single bike to scoot around Bangkok, no way for me, just to heavy. With my KLX I can get up and down the high pavement without problem, also the bike is not to heavy.

How big the Versys feels depends a lot on how big & experienced the rider is. I may end up keeping the D-Tracker & getting a bigger bike for the open roads. If I do I'll look carefully again at the Versys, but I also want to wait & see what's going to be available in the next year or so.

How big the Versys feels depends a lot on how big & experienced the rider is. I may end up keeping the D-Tracker & getting a bigger bike for the open roads. If I do I'll look carefully again at the Versys, but I also want to wait & see what's going to be available in the next year or so.

If your not as strong as you were, moving a large bike around in tight parking situations can be very difficult due not just to weight but size. A Gold Wing doesn't feel big after riding it for just a couple of minutes, but would you like to have one stuck among many many scooters at the shopping mall?

The Versys does have ABS and better tire choices, 2 very nice benefits there, but properly taken care of the D-T brakes are very strong. One finger lockup easily, with good modulation as long as you stick to using the Nissin pads. Obviously the Versys is faster with a passenger, 2 up and luggage we always seem to cruise at 99, just depends if speed is what you need.

CmDas, finally doing the seat change - good endurance there.......

If your not as strong as you were, moving a large bike around in tight parking situations can be very difficult due not just to weight but size. A Gold Wing doesn't feel big after riding it for just a couple of minutes, but would you like to have one stuck among many many scooters at the shopping mall?

The Versys does have ABS and better tire choices, 2 very nice benefits there, but properly taken care of the D-T brakes are very strong. One finger lockup easily, with good modulation as long as you stick to using the Nissin pads. Obviously the Versys is faster with a passenger, 2 up and luggage we always seem to cruise at 99, just depends if speed is what you need.

CmDas, finally doing the seat change - good endurance there.......

good point, after riding this 390Kg 1800cc for a year, kwaker 650 felt like a moped

post-81971-0-30556900-1322903792_thumb.jpost-81971-0-74049200-1322903840_thumb.j

as dtracker has one versys front brake, and versys has two of same size, and better tyres, I do find the braking distance significantly shorter

Excellent replies ... thanks all!

So it's a D-Tracker for the city and a Versys for longer trips. Two bikes would still be cheaper than a Triumph Tiger 800!

The Honda 250 is very nice, but I prefer an upright riding position for traffic and I'm quite tall so my legs were a bit cramped on the Honda.

But I'm leaning towards the D-Tracker becasue of the issue of humping it around in tight parking spots, but still not 100% sure as I would like the ABS, better top end.and larger petrol tank of the Versys.

Yannic - nice bike, where did you get the rack?

At the Motorshow yesterday I was looking at the Keyway 200 Motard. It' looks like the old air-colled Honda single in a decent looking enduro frame. It has a larger gas tank than the D-Tracker (10 litres), a much better seat and it comes with a rear rack. But power will be well down and it's design looked a bit crude compared to the D-Tracker. Anyone tried one? (There was also a new Sym watercooled 250 'streetfighter' styled bike at the show ..... interesting, but not for me .... I can post photos if anyone wants to see it).

Thanks! :D Perhaps not a bad idea ... I found this in an adventure bike forum:

Dr Greg Frazier who rode a KLX 250 across Alaska and Russia said: "With a two gallon gas tank on the Kawasaki KLX250S, I would need more fuel capacity. Walmart sold an inexpensive plastic gas tank which fit perfectly in one of the Ortlieb saddlebags, and did not leak gas".

Not sure what would happen if you dropped the bike though?

Any views from anyone on the KLX v D-Tracker for city use and touring?

Dr Greg Frazier who rode a KLX 250 across Alaska and Russia said: "With a two gallon gas tank on the Kawasaki KLX250S, I would need more fuel capacity. Walmart sold an inexpensive plastic gas tank which fit perfectly in one of the Ortlieb saddlebags, and did not leak gas".

D tracker larger front brake :)

The KLX & D-Tracker differ a bit in their suspension & gearing. For riding mostly paved roads I'd go with the D-Tracker & its stiffer suspension. In the dirt the KLX would be a better choice. Both are adaptable & can handle a variety of conditions - I've taken my D-Tracker off road many times & in rough spots the bike was more capable than I was.

Not sure where, but there are several how-to guides on using Gasket maker to improve the sealing of a small gas can. With that all you'd have to worry about is puncturing the can. Hmmm, maybe seen on Thumper Talk or ADV Rider?

The KLX with the longer travel is great for what the brits call it, 'Green Laning'. It's not proper offroad or motorcross suspension, it's too soft with barely enough damping. But that's not the bikes intent, if your always touring on mixed surface roads or plan to take the nifty city short cuts by riding stairs and jumping curbs; combine with proper registration, cheap parts, and reliability the KLX is perfect.

I bought the D-T for the strong front brake and suspension that was properly firm for handling as I was used to, plus was a year out of back surgery so offroading was out of the question.

I had a KLX b4 moving to the versys and my main riding is the daily commute, unfortunately. . I wish I had not sold the KLX! Really enjoy the Versys but in city traffic I wish I had the mobility and lightness of the KLX again.Only thing that I was not too keen on was the closeness of the gear ratios - I was forever changing gear.

Edited by MRToMRT

Now if there was just a solution for the tiny D-Tracker fuel tank I think it would cover my city and longer distance needs.

50805%201%20plus%20Self-%20Venting%20Gas%20Can.jpg

:lol:

what is the range for a dtracker 250? I never measured my, but my 125cc pcx does approx 250km (40km/liter), 6,5 liter tank as I recall

and Ninja 650 up to same range, depending on riding style/speed

what is the range for a dtracker 250? I never measured my, but my 125cc pcx does approx 250km (40km/liter), 6,5 liter tank as I recall

Riding behind a Phantom I can get 250 Km or more out of the 7 liter tank. Average around town mileage is 35 km/l, or 175 km using 5 liters which is when the fuel light comes on. Have managed 227 km at best and 130 km at worst before the fuel light comes on.

Driving safety it's (approximately) a baht a km for the 250 and under crowd, and 2 baht a kilometer for the Kawasaki 650's - both good cheap fun.

At the Motorshow yesterday I was looking at the Keyway 200 Motard. It' looks like the old air-colled Honda single in a decent looking enduro frame. It has a larger gas tank than the D-Tracker (10 litres), a much better seat and it comes with a rear rack. But power will be well down and it's design looked a bit crude compared to the D-Tracker. Anyone tried one? (There was also a new Sym watercooled 250 'streetfighter' styled bike at the show ..... interesting, but not for me .... I can post photos if anyone wants to see it).

Yes, maybe offtopic, but it would be nice to see photos of this "Sym watercooled 250 'streetfighter'". Thanks

Riding behind a Phantom I can get 250 Km or more out of the 7 liter tank. Average around town mileage is 35 km/l, or 175 km using 5 liters which is when the fuel light comes on. Have managed 227 km at best and 130 km at worst before the fuel light comes on.

Driving safety it's (approximately) a baht a km for the 250 and under crowd, and 2 baht a kilometer for the Kawasaki 650's - both good cheap fun.

Riding like my grandmother (behind some Harleys) I once got over 300km out of the Versys before the fuel light came on. Normal is 240. 16km/l or a bit less in the city.

The SYM streetfighter is 1.2M baht?? You could get a SYM streetfigther... or a BMWS1000RR... or a Ducati Muliistrada.... sure about that price?? OK so it's water cooled but... :whistling: