Best Guest House ?

cornishcarlos

So many to chose from !!!!!

Can anyone with personal experience recommend a nice guest house in the 600 baht a night range.

Location is not so important as we will have transport, but good local food close by would be a bonus..

Also, how is the weather at the moment ?? We will be arriving on 14th so would like to know what to pack..

Thanks Chiang Maians jap.gif

Not sure what the current rates are but both the Top North Guest House and the Top North Hotel used to be good and in that rate. Both located inside the moat in the Old City

Both have swimming pools. The Top North Guest House has its own decicated coffee-shop restaurant and the Top North hotel has an affiliated one next door. Both withing walking distance of many good food outlets

I have stayed 2 or 3 times at the Baan Nam Sai Guest House. The place is very clean with hot shower and free wi-fi. The 3 lady staff are friendly and speak pretty good English. The room is about 300 sq feet with a large cupboard and dressing table. It has a big fridge and even a small storage room where you can hang dry your clothes or use it as storage room for your luggage. A/C is good and cable TV though I had never watched it.

The surrounding is good with no undesirables like drunks and prostitutes or sexpats taking them into their rooms. The front gate closes at 8 pm (you can slide open) and you need a door key to get into the U-shape building. It's a short walking distance to 7-11, the Irish Pub, and an area with many bars (no bargirls) where many young and old Caucasians hang out for a few drinks and dance.

I personally prefer this place to 3 or 4 star hotel when I go there alone. It's B500 per night. An Australian gentleman I met that stays 2 or 3 times a year on a monthly basis. He told me it's B10,000 a month. He loves the place.

Here's the address and number:

Baan Nam Sai Guest House

12 Soi 5 Moon Muang Rd, T. Sripoom

A. Muang, Chiangmai 50200

053-326653

[email protected]

[email protected]

Don't think they have a website. You can book through Agoda (that's how I ended up when my daughter booked for me the first time) but the price is the same. When you call let it ring longer since the 3 ladies there are most likely cleaning up the place upstairs.

Oh, you will be in a location within walking distance to all kinds of eatery and shops. I think this place is also good for the other lady in another thread with 2 small children. I had wanted to post in there the other day but I was tied up then.

I tried to book a room for a month in many of the Guest Houses, but got a message to say nothing was available for May.

I went back to Elegant Lanna Guest house, which is very pleasant but no pool, and got a room straight away.

Monthly rate is 8,500 Baht

Not sure what the current rates are but both the Top North Guest House and the Top North Hotel used to be good and in that rate. Both located inside the moat in the Old City

Both have swimming pools. The Top North Guest House has its own decicated coffee-shop restaurant and the Top North hotel has an affiliated one next door. Both withing walking distance of many good food outlets

The Top North Hotel is more in the 1,000 baht range, but the guesthouse should be around 600 baht or less.

Lai Thai Guest House is in the 600 THB range. I've stayed there a couple of times. Good location, friendly staff, swimming pool. Restaurant is very good but overpriced for Thai food. Many choices of local food all within a 5 minute walk.

Beware the no spunk on sheet sign. :whistling:

Gap's House is alright, albeit a bit backpackery and don't think they'll take bookings.

The Top North Hotel is more in the 1,000 baht range, but the guesthouse should be around 600 baht or less.

Thanks George

I must admist that its ben a while since I have stayed at both

Thanks for that indepth reply... Much appreciated, along with the other suggestions.

We are going to try this one for a couple nights and have found a few serviced apartments that are 500 baht a night too, so will try couple of them as well..

Will report here on them all so other people can benefit jap.gif

I have stayed 2 or 3 times at the Baan Nam Sai Guest House. The place is very clean with hot shower and free wi-fi. The 3 lady staff are friendly and speak pretty good English. The room is about 300 sq feet with a large cupboard and dressing table. It has a big fridge and even a small storage room where you can hang dry your clothes or use it as storage room for your luggage. A/C is good and cable TV though I had never watched it.

The surrounding is good with no undesirables like drunks and prostitutes or sexpats taking them into their rooms. The front gate closes at 8 pm (you can slide open) and you need a door key to get into the U-shape building. It's a short walking distance to 7-11, the Irish Pub, and an area with many bars (no bargirls) where many young and old Caucasians hang out for a few drinks and dance.

I personally prefer this place to 3 or 4 star hotel when I go there alone. It's B500 per night. An Australian gentleman I met that stays 2 or 3 times a year on a monthly basis. He told me it's B10,000 a month. He loves the place.

Here's the address and number:

Baan Nam Sai Guest House

12 Soi 5 Moon Muang Rd, T. Sripoom

A. Muang, Chiangmai 50200

053-326653

[email protected]

[email protected]

Don't think they have a website. You can book through Agoda (that's how I ended up when my daughter booked for me the first time) but the price is the same. When you call let it ring longer since the 3 ladies there are most likely cleaning up the place upstairs.

Oh, you will be in a location within walking distance to all kinds of eatery and shops. I think this place is also good for the other lady in another thread with 2 small children. I had wanted to post in there the other day but I was tied up then.

Last month I was searching for a place similar to what you are looking for and came up with these two:

Baan Nud Kun Guest House and CM Blue House. google for details. One problem with these small guest houses is parking you car.