Genuine Western Style Of Bread

MidoriApple

IMO, hardly find simple but genuine recipes for Western Style of Bread in Thailand.

Usually Thai boulangeries always mix some ingredients (SP, for instance) to soften their bread, because Asians like it this way.

My BF is a bit difficult for his eating, he doesn't complain, but I think good eating is a big part of his pleasure time when he will come BKK in next month.

Hence, I want to make well-prep to welcome him.

I read from here Saint-e-toile may be great choice.. but..nahh...not quite sure, it is Japanese's Western style of bread anyways.

His last visit, I choiced for Folies, but seems he wasn't much satisfied.

I thought to buy Bread-baking machine, but sure I would have more solution to find flour for baking.. better no.

Any of you bake for business? I live in Bangkok.

Edit: Grammar fixed

Edited by MidoriApple

Don't know if the 'Yamazaki' chain of bread shops is in BKK (They are here in CM) I get the french bread from them, available around 11-12 in the morning. Nearest I've found to real French bread and not full of sugar like most Thai bead.

Good luck

• Like 1

For German style bread then Bei Otto is my favourite. For French style Le Blanc (Suk 39) is my personal favourite and seems the most popular amonst the French expats here too, but get there in good time as they close mid afternoon once the final bake of the day has sold out.

• Like 1

Merci, theseahorse

Le Blanc in Suk39? Where in Suk39? I will google myself..

Just talked with my BF, he said the bakery opposite to the Emporium is good also.

I'd never been! Will go check (both) tomorrow. Think this is not the same as you mentioned (?)

Different Soi anyways.

:)

I know the bakery he's talking about. It's ok, but it's still a bit Asian for my liking.

Le Blanc is on Sukhumvit 39 about 3-400m on the left. It's small with no real sign outside, but keep an eye out and you'll see the small open kitchen with a small café on the side. If you're lucky enough to be there and the bell gets rung; it means there's fresh bread about to come out of the oven - so hang around.

A breadmaker is the answer. It needs good flour though, thai flour is too "soft".

I use Australian flour sourced through Tops however if your husband is german there are many suppliers of german flour.

agreed, I have got my breadmaker working really well now, it has a self timer, and will start to cook at 5 in the morning, so come 8 am you have a nice loaf waiting, and the house has the nice smell of freshly cooked bread.

I mainly cook basic french bread, just water flour butter sugar salt and yeast. Get the measurements right, and its great!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMO, hardly find simple but genuine recipes for Western Style of Bread in Thailand.

Usually Thai boulangeries always mix some ingredients (SP, for instance) to soften their bread, because Asians like it this way.

My BF is a bit difficult for his eating, he doesn't complain, but I think good eating is a big part of his pleasure time when he will come BKK in next month.

I read from here Saint-e-toile may be great choice.. but..nahh...not quite sure, it is Japanese's Western style of bread anyways.

I thought to buy Bread-baking machine, but sure I would have more solution to find flour for baking.. better no.

Do you have an oven? If so, you can make fresh bread easily. Although it's easy to make with a bread machine, all of those machines have teflon coated baking surfaces. Teflon gives off carcinogenic gases at baking temperatures. So, it's worth a cancer risk to me.

Instead, you can use a regular oven or a convection countertop oven to bake fresh bread that take no more effort than using a bread machine. The resulting bread can be European peasant style, if that's what you want. This youtube video tells you enough to make your first batch:

There is more at the author's web site: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

You can make pizza, baguettes, enriched bread. Many varieties.

We find it better than the breads we can find here in Pathumwan.

• Like 1

Do you have an oven? If so, you can make fresh bread easily. Although it's easy to make with a bread machine, all of those machines have teflon coated baking surfaces. Teflon gives off carcinogenic gases at baking temperatures. So, it's worth a cancer risk to me.

Instead, you can use a regular oven or a convection countertop oven to bake fresh bread that take no more effort than using a bread machine. The resulting bread can be European peasant style, if that's what you want. This youtube video tells you enough to make your first batch:

There is more at the author's web site: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

You can make pizza, baguettes, enriched bread. Many varieties.

We find it better than the breads we can find here in Pathumwan.

Ohlala...is that this easy? (In YouTube, I mean)

Really different to last days I went see demon.in Le Cordon bleu:)

Have you tried yet, CaptHaddock?

Yes! I have oven, but tiny, tiny one. What I like is the flour will not be spread around whilst I live now in very small condo.

Wowww...I feel fun to try..will see..

Merry X'mas to you (and all, here)

Tops...ummmm.. Will see..personally I rarely go buying food here,

Mostly are more expensive to other markets/supermarkets in comparison.

Thank you Kay, Khun James

Central/TOPS have good German bread. For the widest selection (that I have seen) go to CentralWorld Food Hall on the 7th floor. I have had quite a wide range of German bread experiences for a Brit (love the stuff, nice change of pace) whilst on business trips throughout Germany. I have bought the bread from Central/TOPS for German friends and they have all been impressed.

• Like 1

Yes tops is more expensive but worth going into just for the bakeries, suk soi 19 and silom complex are both a few meters from the bts.

Okie...

Khun James, your son (in avatar) is super handsome, must be very naughty also, right? :)

He takes after his father in the naughty department, on that note, are you still a cute a ever? Wouldn't mind baking a little bread with you sometime-you can need my dough and watch it rise ;)

• Like 1

Yes tops is more expensive but worth going into just for the bakeries, suk soi 19 and silom complex are both a few meters from the bts.

Okie...

Khun James, your son (in avatar) is super handsome, must be very naughty also, right? :)

He takes after his father in the naughty department, on that note, are you still a cute a ever? Wouldn't mind baking a little bread with you sometime-you can need my dough and watch it rise ;)

;) Khun James, Happy New Year to you, wife and little James, all the best!!

Midori, save your time and effort for more personal things than breadmaking....especially if you haven't done it before... To turn out anything good at home, it's going to take some time and practice, and trial and error.

Bei Otto would be a very good choice for German style breads...not sweet at all and very firm, heavy style.

The French place mentioned above sounds good as well for French style breads, which are not the same at all as German ones.... Depends on the preference of your BF...

But I likewise agree that the bakeries at a couple of the Central markets are quite good with lots of selection of whole loaves that they'll slice for you on order... I like the Central Chidlom bakery, but the one at CentralWorld is good too, as is the Tops at Suk Soi 19, though the latter probably has a bit smaller selection.

The Yamazaki and St. Etoile and similar places all have breads of the softer, sweeter style....and that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

• Like 1

There is now a Tops in the new Mall on Phra Ram 9 (Grand Central Phra Ram 9? Something like that). Take the Phra Ram 9 exit off of the underground, and follow the signs. You will end up walking directly into the basement level of the Mall. Tops is straight ahead.

• Like 1

There is now a Tops in the new Mall on Phra Ram 9 (Grand Central Phra Ram 9? Something like that). Take the Phra Ram 9 exit off of the underground, and follow the signs. You will end up walking directly into the basement level of the Mall. Tops is straight ahead.

cool thanks for the update - been meaning to check out this new mall but suspect its like the other 40 just like it?

• Like 1

Central/TOPS have good German bread. For the widest selection (that I have seen) go to CentralWorld Food Hall on the 7th floor. I have had quite a wide range of German bread experiences for a Brit (love the stuff, nice change of pace) whilst on business trips throughout Germany. I have bought the bread from Central/TOPS for German friends and they have all been impressed.

You, the second voice to convince me for this TOPS, thank you.. Make this more interesting... will try when he comes..

Midori, save your time and effort for more personal things than breadmaking....especially if you haven't done it before... To turn out anything good at home, it's going to take some time and practice, and trial and error.

Bei Otto would be a very good choice for German style breads...not sweet at all and very firm, heavy style.

The French place mentioned above sounds good as well for French style breads, which are not the same at all as German ones.... Depends on the preference of your BF...

But I likewise agree that the bakeries at a couple of the Central markets are quite good with lots of selection of whole loaves that they'll slice for you on order... I like the Central Chidlom bakery, but the one at CentralWorld is good too, as is the Tops at Suk Soi 19, though the latter probably has a bit smaller selection.

The Yamazaki and St. Etoile and similar places all have breads of the softer, sweeter style....and that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Hi..John.. (are you John whom I has known?)smile.png

Think I have no time for baking my own bread, proper tools either..I have nonehappy.png so best is to buy to eat.

But in that youtube, is really interesting..I will try one day... I have little basic knowledge for baking from school..but as you said definitely... is also about the skills.

cool thanks for the update - been meaning to check out this new mall but suspect its like the other 40 just like it?

Central Shopping Mall catagorized their supermarkets into 4 levels; you can know from the colours and names they use.

the black colour shop and name as "Central Food Hall" services import (or foreign) products 80% and local only 20%)

the black colour shop and name as "Tops Market" services import products lesser and local more (sorry, I am not sure for the percent)

the yellow colour one and name as "tops Market' services for import products 20% and 80% for local.

and the yellow colour+ name as "Tops Express", is small stand-alone outside the shopping malls, very small and 100% local products served.

So I think its bakery will be difference by their catagories. Some products will be sold as per their level, not always to find in every of their outlets.IMO

The ones in Chidlom and Central World are the same type, also the Pattaya and Phuket..They are Central Food Hall.. which target more to foreign clients.

I have not yet checked this Rama9 shopping mall either...

Just tried the French bakery opp.to the Emporium this breakfast.

The baguette is quite good, but as I am not bread-lover... my good is just good...can make no recommended.

I am wondering one thing... natural yeast and dried yeast...are they the key?

because this bakery remarked at its front of the shop that natural yeast is used.., so the bread comes out different to others?

the baguette from here got more heavy texture and better smell.. (sorry, I usually use my nose to smell food and decide if I will likegiggle.gif ..same as a dog..ahaha)