Amari Pattaya True Move H Test

skippybangkok

Can you tell from your iPad if you are actually getting a TrueMove H 3G signal, or if it is dropping back to the "old" TrueMove 3G?

I used to get throughput like you post on the old TrueMove 3G on my iPhone4, and am curious if they actually have deployed TrueMove H in the Pattaya area.

Can you tell from your iPad if you are actually getting a TrueMove H 3G signal, or if it is dropping back to the "old" TrueMove 3G?

I used to get throughput like you post on the old TrueMove 3G on my iPhone4, and am curious if they actually have deployed TrueMove H in the Pattaya area.

If anyone is on the old "True 3G" network, they should move to True Move H ASAP. The is no reason to stay on true move, true move H is way superiour now in terms of coverage / speed.

Reasons:-

1) alot more coverage. The old trail network is not expanding. True H roams on the old network, but not visa versa

2) upload on H is average 2mb, above international threshold of 0.5 mb/s for 3G service. True move upload is below that

3) u would never get 6 Mb download on old trial network. Max about 3.

And yes, it says clearly true move H on the iPad top corner.

Rgds

If anyone is on the old "True 3G" network, they should move to True Move H ASAP. The is no reason to stay on true move, true move H is way superiour now in terms of coverage / speed.

Reasons:-

1) alot more coverage. The old trail network is not expanding. True H roams on the old network, but not visa versa

2) upload on H is average 2mb, above international threshold of 0.5 mb/s for 3G service. True move upload is below that

3) u would never get 6 Mb download on old trial network. Max about 3.

And yes, it says clearly true move H on the iPad top corner.

On my frequent trips between Hua Hin and Bangkok, using the old True 3G network, I would only have 3G available in Hua Hin/Cha-am and Bangkok. My last trip, a few weeks ago, I had 3G almost the entire way, so either TrueMove roams on TrueMove H (my guess) or TrueMove is still expanding (highly unlikely, IMHO).

But, yeah, I'm considering "upgrading" from TrueMove to TrueMove H, now that they have introduced a B599/month iPhone package on TrueMove H.

Any requirements for obtaining a TrueMove H SIM if PrePaid is not yet available?

I use my WP. But I think all operators have relaxed the requirements. I think if u have a credit card here, your ok already.

Hopefully they'll get that Prepaid product ready sharpish.

If u are using 3G true move, u shud move to true move H. Ur just limiting ur coverage an speeds for the same price by staying with the old network

I use an iPhone4, and I was shocked to read that some implementation on that phone maxes out download throughput at 7.2Mbps, so what would be the benefit of "upgrading" to 42Mbps True Move H?

Also, as mentioned above, there has be a large increase in the coverage area for 3G on the route between Bangkok and Hua Hin using my current "old" True Move account.

There appears to be no upside OR downside to switching to TrueMove H. It's because of the latter (no downside) that I probably will change. You know the "newer must be better" geekiness gene exerting itself. :)

If u are using 3G true move, u shud move to true move H. Ur just limiting ur coverage an speeds for the same price by staying with the old network

I use an iPhone4, and I was shocked to read that some implementation on that phone maxes out download throughput at 7.2Mbps, so what would be the benefit of "upgrading" to 42Mbps True Move H?

Also, as mentioned above, there has be a large increase in the coverage area for 3G on the route between Bangkok and Hua Hin using my current "old" True Move account.

There appears to be no upside OR downside to switching to TrueMove H. It's because of the latter (no downside) that I probably will change. You know the "newer must be better" geekiness gene exerting itself. :)

If network can do 42, with many users u might get 6to 10. If network can handle 7, u might get 1 to 3. That's the logic. There is alot of network in main cities, and on major roads, but if ur expecting pure 3G end to end on the route from Pattaya to Hua Hin after 6 months roll out of H, it think it's un realistic. I have used H in Chiang Mai, 3 border point golden triangle, HUA Hin Sheraton, amari Pattaya , Phuket.... And the list goes on. I am happy, and can wait those 45 mins between gaps in 3G when en route. Not a big deal

Okay, I understand the "logic," but since I already routinely get 3-6Mbps on a non-H TrueMove SIM, I don't see any urgent need to upgrade.

It was pretty much 3G end-to-end Hua Hin to Bangkok (and return) this last trip. There was only a few minutes where I saw it drop down to EDGE. I was quite surprised, as that is a vast increase of the coverage area on that route.

Okay, I understand the "logic," but since I already routinely get 3-6Mbps on a non-H TrueMove SIM, I don't see any urgent need to upgrade.

It was pretty much 3G end-to-end Hua Hin to Bangkok (and return) this last trip. There was only a few minutes where I saw it drop down to EDGE. I was quite surprised, as that is a vast increase of the coverage area on that route.

Waow.... that confuddles me totally. New network roll out has been on H, and the old trial network was on the old true move. I was pretty sure that the true move network roamed on H ( i knew it was visa versa ).

yeh, there is alot of coverage already, and generally i have 3G where ever i go ( must admit i dont go in the sticks alot )

Cr@p. TrueMove H apparently no longer offers the B599/month "unlimited 3G+" plan that they SMS'd me about last month. At least it's not on their web site.

On their web site, the current B599 iPhone plan is only for 2GB of combined 3G+ and EDGE, and no free SMS nor free MMS.

My current B599 plan with TrueMove includes 3GB 3G, unlimited EDGE, 300 SMS and 50 MMS. The equivalent package on TrueMove H now appears to be B899?

BTW, looking at the coverage maps on the TrueMove H site, you *can* go from Hua Hin all the way to Pattaya with 3G+ coverage (except maybe a few km between Hua Hin and Bangkok?)

For those of you with iPhones.. What exactly does it say in the top left corner?...

I switched to True H a month ago.... And my phone always says Truemove-H 3G

When i am getting the new 3G speed should the 3G change to something else? Like 3G+ or H?

I just experienced an unexpected, but very welcome, turn of events.

I decided to go the the local True shop and see if I could negotiate the B599/mo TrueMove H plan that was offered to me last month via SMS. As mentioned a few messages above, I don't see that plan on their web site.

When I went to show the SMS to the sales rep, I found a newer SMS from 07-Dec offering an even better deal: the same B599/mo plan, but for B499/mo for six months! The sales rep wasn't familiar with that offer -- my guess it was only SMS'd to current TrueMove 3G customers on their B599/mo plan -- but cleared it with his boss.

So, I completed the MNP form to switch from TrueMove to TrueMove H and received the new SIM. I will wait (3 to 7 days, apparently) for "no signal" and swap the SIMs, and be on the new network.

Of course, at the end of six months, I'll be at their mercy as to what plans will be on offer. I tried to get a one-year contract, with the understanding that only the first six months have the B100 discount, but they wouldn't agree. It's still better than what I had yesterday, which was a one-year plan that would have expired next March. Now, at least, I'll have the B499 plan until mid-June.

FYI, here's the SMS that made it all possible:

post-33251-0-63979800-1323580386_thumb.g

I find it interesting that they have always advertised the potential speed of 7.2Mbps for 3G and 42Mbps for 3G+, but the SMS only mentions a 2x to 3x speed increase. :whistling:

For those of you with iPhones.. What exactly does it say in the top left corner?...

I switched to True H a month ago.... And my phone always says Truemove-H 3G

When i am getting the new 3G speed should the 3G change to something else? Like 3G+ or H?

You will see Truemove-H 3G

Means ur on HSPA+ ( 3G+ )

What does it say when you are roaming on the old True 3G network? Or, I suddenly wonder, is the entire old True 3G network completely gone, with old True 3G subscribers roaming on the new 3G+?

What does it say when you are roaming on the old True 3G network? Or, I suddenly wonder, is the entire old True 3G network completely gone, with old True 3G subscribers roaming on the new 3G+?

I dont know anymore. Does not make sense to me. The old network was a smaller network, on UMTS. the new one is alot alot bigger, and on HSPDA+. (faster). As such, i would envision they are trying to move customers to the new True Move H network. I doubt old True Move network would roam on the new True Move H, but the otherway around makes sense.

I dont know anymore. Does not make sense to me. The old network was a smaller network, on UMTS. the new one is alot alot bigger, and on HSPDA+. (faster). As such, i would envision they are trying to move customers to the new True Move H network. I doubt old True Move network would roam on the new True Move H, but the otherway around makes sense.

Mine usually says Truemove-H 3G... And a few times when i have been in the countryside it has said Truemove-H E this i assume means i am roaming on the old Edge network

But i see no change from the old 3G and the new 3G?...

Also when i first switched to H a couple months ago i saw speeds of around 5mbps... But lately it never goes above 2mbps :(

Edited by sfokevin

Hi Skippy, I got the same results on my speed test using my Truemove H air card 6.1 downlload, 2.3 upload. The thing is that there is a tremendous fluctuation in speed depending on the time that you use the Internet. This morning I am getting 0.41 Mbps on download and 0.25 Mbps on upload, which is miserable to say the least. I don't see why there should be such a huge difference in the speeds?

Cr@p. TrueMove H apparently no longer offers the B599/month "unlimited 3G+" plan that they SMS'd me about last month. At least it's not on their web site.

On their web site, the current B599 iPhone plan is only for 2GB of combined 3G+ and EDGE, and no free SMS nor free MMS.

My current B599 plan with TrueMove includes 3GB 3G, unlimited EDGE, 300 SMS and 50 MMS. The equivalent package on TrueMove H now appears to be B899?

BTW, looking at the coverage maps on the TrueMove H site, you *can* go from Hua Hin all the way to Pattaya with 3G+ coverage (except maybe a few km between Hua Hin and Bangkok?)

I was on the old Truemove B599 300 talk/30 free SMS plans... I went in and switched to H and the new bill seems to have grandfathered over the same plan ;-)

Edited by sfokevin

Mine usually says Truemove-H 3G... And a few times when i have been in the countryside it has said Truemove-H E this i assume means i am roaming on the old Edge network

But i see no change from the old 3G and the new 3G?...

Also when i first switched to H a couple months ago i saw speeds of around 5mbps... But lately it never goes above 2mbps :(

I have just got the answer to the lower speed from True. They sent a message claiming fair usage policy and apparently I have gone about what ever the limit is, so they have put me on a lower speed until the 18th of December. Weird because I have an unlimited package.

I was on the old Truemove B599 300 talk/30 free SMS plans... I went in and switched to H and the new bill seems to have grandfathered over the same plan ;-)

I think what you were given was what was offered to me in an 02-Nov SMS. When I inquired at the True shop shortly thereafter, they said it would be a new 12-month contract on TrueMove H. I don't recall that plan being available on the truemove-h.com web site at the time.

What I signed up for the other day is 6-month contract on TrueMove H for B499/month with the same 3G/EDGE unlimited usage, 300 phone calls, 300 SMS, and 50 MMS. This plan is definitely not on the truemove-h.com web site.

It remains to be seen if you (B599 for 12 months) or I (B499 for 6 months) have the better deal, as I will be at their mercy as to what plans will be on offer in June. I suspect you made the better choce.

I have just got the answer to the lower speed from True. They sent a message claiming fair usage policy and apparently I have gone about what ever the limit is, so they have put me on a lower speed until the 18th of December. Weird because I have an unlimited package.

I think it was early 2011 that TrueMove amended their service contract plans. Prior to that "unlimited" really did mean unlimited 3G. Since then, all plans posted on their web site have asterisked "conditions."

For the TrueMove iPhone "Free Size" package "unlimited" meant 3GB/month of 3G, then the remainder of the month at 256k EDGE speed.

I see that TrueMove H's iPhone current (new?) "Free Size" plan for B599/mo now includes only 2GB/month of combined 3G+ and EDGE usage and includes 300 phone calls, but no SMS/MMS.

TrueMove H also has "XL" and "XXL" iPhone plans:

XL, for B899/mo, inlcudes 300 SMS & 50 MMS, plus (if I'm translating the Thai correctly) 2GB of 3G+, but shaped to 384k after that.

XXL, for B999/mo, inlcudes 300 SMS & 50 MMS, plus (if I'm translating the Thai correctly) 5GB of 3G+, but shaped to 384k after that.

I think it was early 2011 that TrueMove amended their service contract plans. Prior to that "unlimited" really did mean unlimited 3G. Since then, all plans posted on their web site have asterisked "conditions."

For the TrueMove iPhone "Free Size" package "unlimited" meant 3GB/month of 3G, then the remainder of the month at 256k EDGE speed.

I see that TrueMove H's iPhone current (new?) "Free Size" plan for B599/mo now includes only 2GB/month of combined 3G+ and EDGE usage and includes 300 phone calls, but no SMS/MMS.

XL, for B899/mo, inlcudes 300 SMS & 50 MMS, plus (if I'm translating the Thai correctly) 2GB of 3G+, but shaped to 384k after that.

XXL, for B999/mo, inlcudes 300 SMS & 50 MMS, plus (if I'm translating the Thai correctly) 5GB of 3G+, but shaped to 384k after that.

I got the XXlL but they still trimmed me

Hi Skippy, I got the same results on my speed test using my Truemove H air card 6.1 downlload, 2.3 upload. The thing is that there is a tremendous fluctuation in speed depending on the time that you use the Internet. This morning I am getting 0.41 Mbps on download and 0.25 Mbps on upload, which is miserable to say the least. I don't see why there should be such a huge difference in the speeds?

Should not be that bad. 3G is user dependant, but normally should not dip that low. Most operators are still optimizing ( tuning ) , and i have seen a big difference between 6 months back and now.

hopefully gets better, or maybe call the call center.

Edited by skippybangkok

Did you download over 5GB in that month? If so, then shaping to 384k is what they say will happen until the new month allocation starts.

If/when I am unable to get the B599 (or B499) monthly plan with 3GB (or even 2GB) of 3G+ with the free phone calls/SMS/MMS, I'm not sure what I would choose. I don't think I use more than 2GB, but never kept track. B899, much less B999, seems too expensive.

Did you download over 5GB in that month? If so, then shaping to 384k is what they say will happen until the new month allocation starts.

If/when I am unable to get the B599 (or B499) monthly plan with 3GB (or even 2GB) of 3G+ with the free phone calls/SMS/MMS, I'm not sure what I would choose. I don't think I use more than 2GB, but never kept track. B899, much less B999, seems too expensive.

I used 4 GB fairly quickly but did not realise that I had. I was watching videos on Youtube. Now I know the score I will be more careful in the future. This was not discussed when I bought the plan, so I was a bit surprised.

Some of those higher end Truemove H packages also include unlimited WiFi so that can ameliorate any 3G limitations. I also find that within larger buildings I lose 3G, while retaining EDGE, but have WiFi so switch in these situations. And at home, work or family/friends also use WiFi. I rarely go north of 1 GB of mobile broadband data in a month.