Buying New Car: Bangkok Vs Chiang Mai

Have heard that new cars are substantially cheaper in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai. Is this true? Any new car owners in Chiang Mai on TV who travelled to Bangkok specifically to buy a new car and drove it back, or had it transported, to Chiang Mai? Did you save enough in the end to justify buying in Bangkok?

thanks a tonne

I'm sure that given the 100,000's of cars that have been flooded over the past few weeks in BKK, there will be some real cheap cars on the market now. You might be better off paying a little extra in Chiangmai :D

fair comment I suppose but I won't be buying for at least 6 months...

Generally speaking, cars in BKK are cheaper - by how much depends on what it is you're looking for though..

In the low end it might on save you 10K Baht, in more extreme cases it might save you 50K. Or if you don't understand the market, it could just mean a smooth BKK operator shafts you for more :)

If looking to buy in 6 months time, I would definitely recommend looking at the Tabien Rot (blue book) to see if the car has a history in BKK... Those of us in BKK are brutally aware of just what the floods have done to cars that didn't find dry land, so chances are the effected cars will get scrubbed up and shifted up/down country to try and find more gullible buyers..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Generally speaking, cars in BKK are cheaper - by how much depends on what it is you're looking for though..

In the low end it might on save you 10K Baht, in more extreme cases it might save you 50K. Or if you don't understand the market, it could just mean a smooth BKK operator shafts you for more :)

If looking to buy in 6 months time, I would definitely recommend looking at the Tabien Rot (blue book) to see if the car has a history in BKK... Those of us in BKK are brutally aware of just what the floods have done to cars that didn't find dry land, so chances are the effected cars will get scrubbed up and shifted up/down country to try and find more gullible buyers..

Probably just easier and safer to get it in Chaing Mai. Do new cars come with a 'blue book'?

Probably just easier and safer to get it in Chaing Mai. Do new cars come with a 'blue book'?

Every car should have a bluebook. If you pay cash for your new car, it will be provided. if financed the finance company keeps it until it is paid off.

Having brought two new car's (Both Toyota's) here, I found that shop around was the best bet. Went to my local Toyota garage when I got my first one and got a terrific deal. No price off but got every extra bar 1 put on for free. With the 2nd one went to the same place and all I was offered was free N/Plate's plastic foot well thing's (FREE from Toyota anyway) and that was that. Went to another Toyota garage some 120km away and got No reduction but over 40,000bt's worth of extra's. I live in the middle of Thailand, just show's what you can get locally if you just look.