Extension Non Immigrant Visa O Thai Wife

Hello,

I got the 25 November 2011 a simple entry non-immigrant O visa to Laos because i have Thai spouse. My visa is valid until 22 February 2012 but i plan to go to Spain the 17 January to 16 February. I asked to the office immigration in Krabi how to do and they told me it’s not a problem because i can come to their office before the end of my visa when i go back from my country and then i can apply for a non-immigrant O visa to get a one year extension. But i’m a bit suspicious about their poor explanations because my simple entry will be used after i will be back to Thailand so maybe they won’t let me get the extension visa. What do you think please. Can i get a 1 year extension visa (Non-immigrant O) with a visa on arrival ? Do you think i should apply for the 1 year extension before to leave the country ?

Thanks for your advice :rolleyes:

To obtain re-entry permit fill in form, TM8 (downloadable from net), attach one 4x6 picture and submit it at your immigration office along with 1000baht -single entry

Edited by wayned

As said you visit immigration with a photo and the 1,000 baht fee and buy a re-entry permit. That will allow you to return for the same permitted to stay date you currently have (which I hope is the 22 Feb 2012 date you mention). So you return on Feb 16 and then have until 22nd to apply for your extension of stay.

If you do not do this you will need to obtain a new non immigrant visa (either on your trip) or a conversion inside Thailand for 2,000 baht which likely will require a trip to Bangkok.

Hi,

Do you all really mean that you need to apply for a Re-entry permit before leaving Thailand when you stay here with a Single Non-O or Multiple Non-O ? You can't leave and come back to Thailand on your NON IMMIGRANT O visa if you don't apply for RE-ENTRY permit before you go ?

I could understand about the single entry non-o, but why having to pay 3800 Thb a multiple entry Non-O if you still ned to pay 1000 Thb more before leaving Thailand every time you want to travel abroad (and what a trouble to have to visit immigration if you travel many timees a year), it would be the same to apply again for a new Non-O before coming back to Thailand !

Thanks for confirmation.

We are talking about a single entry non immigrant O visa - not a multi entry visa or a multi re-entry permit. For OP to return on the same non immigrant visa entry he must have a re-entry permit prior to leaving.

Ok thank you it's clear now about Single Entry Non-immigrant visa, but can I have confirmation about Multiple Non-immigrant visa ? Do you still need to apply a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand if you want to come back on your multiple Non-immigrant ?

Thank you so much again.

We are talking about a single entry non immigrant O visa - not a multi entry visa or a multi re-entry permit. For OP to return on the same non immigrant visa entry he must have a re-entry permit prior to leaving.

Ok thank you it's clear now about Single Entry Non-immigrant visa, but can I have confirmation about Multiple Non-immigrant visa ? Do you still need to apply a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand if you want to come back on your multiple Non-immigrant ?

Thank you so much again.

No, as long as you return to Thailand before the "Valid Until" date on your multi-entry Non-Immigrant "O' visa, you will be permitted to enter and remain for 90 days.

Thank you so much.

Ok it's now clear that:

Single Entry Non Immigrant visa: if you go out of Thailand and plan to come back within the validity of your visa you need to apply for RE-ENTRY permit before you leave.

Multiple Entry Non Immigrant visa: you can leave and come back as many times as you want during 1 year. No need to apply for RE-ENTRY permit.

But why is this nowhere cleary explained ? To keep us posting ? :-)

Thank you so much.

Ok it's now clear that:

Single Entry Non Immigrant visa: if you go out of Thailand and plan to come back within the validity of your visa you need to apply for RE-ENTRY permit before you leave.

Multiple Entry Non Immigrant visa: you can leave and come back as many times as you want during 1 year. No need to apply for RE-ENTRY permit.

But why is this nowhere cleary explained ? To keep us posting ? :-)

There is a case with a multiple where you would want to get a re-entry permit. That is if you entered and the "must leave by" date extends beyond the expiration date of your visa. I f you intend to leave and re-enter after the expiration date of the visa, but before the "must leave by" date on the stamp, you should get a re-entry permit. If you have the re-entry permit, when you re-enter you will get permission to stay until the original "must leave by" date. If you don't have a re-entry permit and your visa has expired, you will only get a "visa exempt" entry and permission to stay of 30 days by air, 15 days by land.

Edited by wayned

It is clearly spelled out on the main web site under re-entry permit in top menu.

http://www.thaivisa.com/346.0.html

Many thanks Lopburi 3 for your clear information. Now i would like to know, this is my last question :) When my 1 year extension is over do i have to go out or i can apply for a new one in my immigration office ?:rolleyes:

Same procedure and requirements during last 30 days of your one year stay. No need to leave country/obtain a new visa.

It is clearly spelled out on the main web site under re-entry permit in top menu.

http://www.thaivisa.com/346.0.html

Many thanks Lopburi 3 for your clear information. Now i would like to know, this is my last question :) When my 1 year extension is over do i have to go out or i can apply for a new one in my immigration office ?:rolleyes:

Same procedure and requirements during last 30 days of your one year stay. No need to leave country/obtain a new visa.

Good news, thanks again :rolleyes: