U.S. FAA chief resigns following drunk driving arrest

News_Editor

U.S. FAA chief resigns following drunk driving arrest

2011-12-08 02:54:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Randy Babbitt on Tuesday announced his resignation, a day after he took a leave of absence over his drunk driving arrest last weekend.

Babbitt was arrested in Fairfax, Virginia on late Saturday evening after a police officer observed a vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road and initiated a traffic stop. He was transported to the Adult Detention Center after it was determined he was under the influence of alcohol.

"Today I submitted my resignation to Secretary Ray LaHood and it has been accepted," Babbitt said in a statement released on late Tuesday afternoon. "Serving as FAA Administrator has been an absolute honor and the highlight of my professional career. But I am unwilling to let anything cast a shadow on the outstanding work done 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by my colleagues at the FAA."

Babbitt praised his colleagues, saying they run the 'finest and safest' aviation system in the world. "I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work alongside them," he said. "I am confident in their ability to successfully carry out all of the critical safety initiatives underway and the improvements that the FAA has planned. I also want to thank Secretary LaHood for his leadership and dedication to the safety of the traveling public."

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, reacting to the resignation, called Babbitt a dedicated public servant and outstanding leader. "I'm proud to say that we have the safest aviation system in the world, and thanks to Randy's stewardship, it became safer and stronger," he said. "He worked tirelessly to improve relations with the labor community and bolstered employee engagement among his 49,000 colleagues at the FAA."

LaHood added: "[babbitt] led the FAA's efforts to improve pilot training and enhance safety for the traveling public, as well as those that work in aviation. On behalf of the American people, I thank him for his service and his leadership."

Officials did not release the blood-alcohol level of Babbitt when he was arrested on Saturday, but state law defines DWI as a .08 blood alcohol concentration. However, officials were disappointed to learn of Babbitt's arrest through a police news release and not from Babbitt himself.

White House spokesman Jay Carney previously said President Barack Obama and other White House officials were aware of Babbitt's arrest, but made no comment. Carney also refused to comment on Tuesday after Babbitt had announced his resignation.

Babbitt has served as Administrator of the FAA, which regulates and oversees all aspects of civil aviation in the United States, since June 2009. He previously served at the FAA Management Advisory Council during the Clinton Administration.

Deputy Administrator Michael Huerta will serve as acting administrator.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-08

The FAA chief could, of course, fight the charges, but it sounds like he is basically admitting his guilt. Resigning is the honorable thing to do and probably the best for the agency. Should he decide to fight, it sends a very ambiguous message to pilots about drinking and driving/flying. This is an agency which needs to have a squeaky clean record and something pretty close to a zero tolerance for impairment.

If he was not alcohol-impaired, then he should fight the charges and probably not resign. Those blood alcohol tests are not infallible, but they are hard to refute.

The FAA chief could, of course, fight the charges, but it sounds like he is basically admitting his guilt. Resigning is the honorable thing to do and probably the best for the agency. Should he decide to fight, it sends a very ambiguous message to pilots about drinking and driving/flying. This is an agency which needs to have a squeaky clean record and something pretty close to a zero tolerance for impairment.

If he was not alcohol-impaired, then he should fight the charges and probably not resign. Those blood alcohol tests are not infallible, but they are hard to refute.

+1

He was driving on the wrong side of the road and the police car dash cam probably caught the whole thing.

Ridiculous.

Why?

On many levels.

First, such incidents should not be made public by the police. It is not a crime and nobody was hurt. Therefore I think it belongs into his private life and nothing to do with his job at FAA.

Publication of such facts by journalists should not be allowed.

On the other hand, the head of an agency like the FAA should have a driver and limousine at his disposal on a 24h basis, this is only appropriate for his rank.

Second, there seems to be a growing expectation of people that persons in charge should be angels or superhumans. We all have small flaws, most of which do not affect our capability of doing our job well.

I don't see how oral sex in the oval office makes a bad president, or drunk driving a bad FAA head.

Eventually, the consequence is that we will be governed and led by spotless individuals. I've personally witnessed such personalities, they have no humor, no fun, no phantasy... soulless robots whose prime obsession is to be perfect in every way, obsessed with their image, they do not take risks, avoid decisions whenever possible... politicians.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's not about being squeaky clean, it's about operating a vehicle while impaired. He did the right thing. To the aviators who like him, it was honorable; to the ones that don't he is getting his just rewards. He has done his job well. His message is: Don't operate a vehicle while impaired.

His rank would not afford him special protection which is what the Limo crowd gets and why they have them. His salary was probably sufficient to hire a driver and for sure he could have afforded a taxi home.

If the head of the IRS, for example, gets picked up for drunk driving, by all means, he should fight to his heart's content. For him, a hint of financial impropriety would be the moral equivalent and he should resign.

Edited by Credo

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's not about being squeaky clean, it's about operating a vehicle while impaired. He did the right thing. To the aviators who like him, it was honorable; to the ones that don't he is getting his just rewards. He has done his job well. His message is: Don't operate a vehicle while impaired.

His rank would not afford him special protection which is what the Limo crowd gets and why they have them. His salary was probably sufficient to hire a driver and for sure he could have afforded a taxi home.

If the head of the IRS, for example, gets picked up for drunk driving, by all means, he should fight to his heart's content. For him, a hint of financial impropriety would be the moral equivalent and he should resign.

Well, AFAIK, he wasn't transporting any passengers.

But let's agree to disagree.

Personally, I don't look forward to being led by superhumans, they are a nuisance more than anything else.

OK, we can disagree on this point, but I do agree with you about people being too squeaky clean. Experience is a great teacher and some people who haven't experimented a little just plain lack experience. The trick is to have learned from their mistakes.