Corruption Still Deeply Rooted In Our Political Life: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Corruption still deeply rooted in our political life

The Nation

Ongoing scandals show that we have a long way to go before transparency and honesty ever become established in our system of governance

In recent years, the apparent failure of the Thai government in stamping out corruption and the failure of Thai politicians, state officials and civil servants to serve the country honestly has raised an important question: does the lack of transparency, disclosure and moral sense still play a role in the broad syndrome of money politics, personality and corruption that keeps rocking the ship of state?

The answer is yes. Thailand is still mired in a succession of corruption scandals following the 1997 financial crisis, and these invariably involve top officials. Asset seizure and imprisonment are the two major tools to deal with corrupt crooks. What's shocking is that just as one graft convict walks out of prison after finishing his jail term, another one walks in.

Many of us remember graft convict and former public health minister Rakkiat Sukthana. On September 30, 2003 the Supreme Court found Rakkiat guilty of amassing unusual wealth and ordered the seizure of Bt233 million worth of assets from him. The former minister was also convicted of taking a Bt5-million bribe from a drug firm. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail, but served two-thirds of his term after being granted parole. Freed two years ago, Rakkiat, a former law student, was the first Cabinet member to be convicted by the Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Political Office-Holders. The case was a triumph for both the Thai government and law-enforcement institutions.

After the Rakkiat case, more were to follow. Somphob Unhawat, senior official at the Interior Ministry's Civil Works Department, became part of the statistics. The National Counter-Corruption Commission (NCCC), a forerunner of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), found him to be unusually wealthy and requested that the Civil Court order Bt73.5 million of his assets seized in 2004. More asset-seizure cases emerged later but involved junior officials.

At this point, we are aware that suspended permanent secretary of the Transport Ministry, Supoth Sublom, remains innocent until proven guilty, even after a vast, unknown amount of cash was found in his home. Up to Bt18 million have so far been seized by the NACC, which is investigating the case and has given Supoth 30 days to clarify the money's origin.

Given such high-profile corruption allegations, it's easy to doubt whether there aren't any similar irregularities that remain elusive and unaccounted for. What's true is that corruption exists in many shapes and forms, and it makes some people richer, especially those who wield a lot of power.

What we know is that Thai politics and its periphery is still populated by these double-dealing, self-serving charlatans whose default setting is extremely selfish. It's not easy to weed out these bad seeds.

What went wrong?

We should not ignore the root of the problem. Part of the issue remains predictable: the ongoing links between business and politics. Politics ideally should be an arena where everyone can have an opportunity to improve and change the reality that we live in, but in Thailand it's viewed as a big trough full of goodies. Indeed, a Thai Cabinet in the early 1990s was so rife with corruption scandals that it was called the "buffet cabinet".

Yet in the context of today's Thailand, the buffet mentality still permeates our political landscape. It's hard to ignore the obscuring of the way the state conducts its business, especially when it comes to large-scale, lucrative infrastructure projects involving the private sector via government agencies. Now we know that a high-ranking official of a big ministry, who has a monthly salary of around Bt60,000, could not have had millions of baht stashed in his home over the past few years.

While it's "puzzling" how a powerful official could have amassed such wealth over a period of time without anyone taking notice, it's worth pointing out the ugly face of Thai corruption. There's no denying that corruption involving public officials wouldn't be possible without the cover provided by a cloud that obscures the actual nature of business dealings, some of which are concluded with a handshake without review by proper regulatory bodies. This reminds us of the culture of bypassing formal processes at some government organisations where management accountability is spotty at best. This is another form of money politics that links the political and business cliques, where political clout and business relations are to the detriment of prudent regulation.

The cloud keeps hovering because of the lack of transparency and disclosure, and it undermines Thailand's political advancement. In no position to endure more internal shocks, Thailand badly needs a political system that is more open and less obscure. But to achieve that, it needs to salvage the integrity of its politicians and public officials, and seriously rethink its counter-corruption measures so that transparency and disclosure are in place.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-08

Until the thai people make it an absolute priority in any election.over and above other non sensical desires nothing will change.

There has to be a real desire to root out and prosecute vigorously corrupt politicians and officials ,not a desire to either get "in on it" or a shrug of the shoulders and "K sara sara"

Edited by KKvampire

Unfortunately the problem is directly connected to the average Thai citizen. They not only have a tendency to ignore this corruption but they appear accept it as natural. How many time have I heard Thai people utter the stupid adage, "cannot change Thailand." Until the average Thai citizen changes this attitude, Thailand will remain what it is and never will become a great country.

Nobody has explained yet where alot of the money earmarked for ol swampy airport ended up. My neighbour was an architect who had a friend out at 'ol swampy' who said the airport was made out of substandard materials to offset the massive payoffs to officials.No coincidence alot of private family owned housing developments sprung up in the wake of ol swampy...free money right ! who cares if we build in flood prone areas of BKK. Buyers problem, not ours.:ph34r:

a post questioning moderation and a reply to it removed

I wasn't questioning the moderation.

But since when is "there is corruption in Thailand" a "News"- story!?

You don't take irony well, do you?!

Nobody has explained yet where alot of the money earmarked for ol swampy airport ended up. My neighbour was an architect who had a friend out at 'ol swampy' who said the airport was made out of substandard materials to offset the massive payoffs to officials.No coincidence alot of private family owned housing developments sprung up in the wake of ol swampy...free money right ! who cares if we build in flood prone areas of BKK. Buyers problem, not ours.:ph34r:

Your neighbour has a friend who said ... Are you working for Fox by any chance ?

In flood prone area ? It's obvious ! We have the food of the century, under how many meters of water is the airport now ?

Substandard material ? How long has the airport been built ? It's clearly falling apart ...

Does anybody think that if the new airport was substandard, international airlines would have accept to move there at the first place ?

More interesting, right after the coup, the junta tried to convinced the airlines to move back to Don Muang. The airlines went ballistic and answered "if we have to leave Suvarnabhumi, we're leaving Thailand, kiss your international airport goodbye ! "

Now to think that the army staged a coup just to try to get back the cash cow that was Don Muang may be a bit far fetched. You should ask the friend of your neighbour what he thinks about it.

Edited by JurgenG

Your neighbour has a friend who said ... Are you working for Fox by any chance ?

In flood prone area ? It's obvious ! We have the food of the century, under how many meters of water is the airport now ?

Substandard material ? How long has the airport been built ? It's clearly falling apart ...

Does anybody think that if the new airport was substandard, international airlines would have accept to move there at the first place ?

More interesting, right after the coup, the junta tried to convinced the airlines to move back to Don Muang. The airlines went ballistic and answered "if we have to leave Suvarnabhumi, we're leaving Thailand, kiss your international airport goodbye ! "

Now to think that the army staged a coup just to try to get back the cash cow that was Don Muang may be a bit far fetched. You should ask the friend of your neighbour what he thinks about it.

Didn't the airport open a week after the coup?

The runways were certainly substandard. That was the main reason that some airlines were moved back to DM.

Didn't the airport open a week after the coup?

The runways were certainly substandard. That was the main reason that some airlines were moved back to DM.

Really ? That's what they wrote in The Nation ?

First, moving all operation from an airport to an other, like it has been done in Bangkok and previously in Hong Kong, is no small operation. You can't cancel everything one week before the opening date. And you certainly don't want to make the move again in the other way a few weeks later.

Then I don't think companies like Singapore Airline, Cathay Pacific, United or Lufthansa will accept to land or take off on substandard runways.

I think we have a number of posters here who work for airlines and will be able to confirm what I said above.

Edited by JurgenG

First, moving all operation from an airport to an other, like it has been done in Bangkok and previously in Hong Kong, is no small operation. You can't cancel everything one week before the opening date. And you certainly don't want to make the move again in the other way a few weeks later.

Then I don't think companies like Singapore Airline, Cathay Pacific, United or Lufthansa will accept to land or take off on substandard runways.

I think we have a number of posters here who work for airlines and will be able to confirm what I said above.

Do you mean you don't know about the runway and taxiway problems at Suvarnabhumi? :rolleyes:

Do you mean you don't know about the runway and taxiway problems at Suvarnabhumi? :rolleyes:

What you're talking about is a campaign of disinformation orchestrated by ???, with the aim to force the airlines to move back to Don Muang

It is generally agreed that the alarming reports were politically (I would add financially) motivated. They were ignored by the international community.

As stated earlier, international airlines said if they have to leave Suvarnabhumi, they will leave Thailand. And I don't believe companies like Singapore Airline, Cathay Pacific, United or Lufthansa will accept to use an airport if they had any reason to believe there was any risk for the safety of their passengers.

Edited by JurgenG

What you're talking about is a campaign of disinformation orchestrated by ???, with the aim to force the airlines to move back to Don Muang

It is generally agreed that the alarming reports were politically (I would add financially) motivated. They were ignored. Without consequence so far.

:cheesy:

You're really getting done in by those conspiracy theories, aren't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport#Problems_with_the_tarmac

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1582126,00.html

It is generally agreed that the alarming reports were politically (I would add financially) motivated. They were ignored. Without consequence so far.

:cheesy:

You're really getting done in by those conspiracy theories, aren't you?

http://en.wikipedia....with_the_tarmac

http://www.time.com/...1582126,00.html

You should read your sources before posting them. From Wiki :

The investigators noted that plastic deformation at this location was a common phenomenon and only routine maintenance was required to repair the distress. Aside from this surface distortion, both runways were in good structural condition.

The AoT's findings were disputed by several experts.

Airline representatives maintained that the airport was still safe and resisted suggestions that the airport should be completely closed and all flights moved back to Don Muang..

Basically, it's what I'm saying from the beginning

To make a long story short, you have here a local agency that produces reports that are favorable to the interest of some powerful government department, here the army. It's the subject ot this thread if I'm not mistaken Corruption Still Deeply Rooted In Our Political Life

And honestly, if I had to chose who to trust, between international airlines with almost perfect safety records and a local "expert" agency ..

Edited by JurgenG

The investigators noted that plastic deformation at this location was a common phenomenon and only routine maintenance was required to repair the distress. Aside from this surface distortion, both runways were in good structural condition.

Airline representatives maintained that the airport was still safe and resisted suggestions that the airport should be completely closed and all flights moved back to Don Muang..

To make a long story short, you have here a local agency that produces reports that are favorable to the interest of some powerful government department, here the army. It's the subject ot this thread if I'm not mistaken Corruption Still Deeply Rooted In Our Political Life

And honestly, if I had to chose who to trust, between international airlines with almost perfect safety records and a local "expert" agency ..

You shouldn't pick and choose which parts you want to quote to "prove" your conspiracy theory.

"In January 2007, ruts were discovered in the runways at Suvarnabhumi. The east runway was scheduled to close for repairs. Expert opinions have varied widely as to the root cause of the ruts."

The runway was closed for repairs and during this time a number of airlines operated out of Don Mueang because of congestion with one runway closed.

If you want to say that the army "manufactured" the reports so that airlines would have to move back to Don Mueang, then just make sure your tin foil hat doesn't fall off.

You shouldn't pick and choose which parts you want to quote to "prove" your conspiracy theory.

"In January 2007, ruts were discovered in the runways at Suvarnabhumi. The east runway was scheduled to close for repairs. Expert opinions have varied widely as to the root cause of the ruts."

The runway was closed for repairs and during this time a number of airlines operated out of Don Mueang because of congestion with one runway closed.

If you want to say that the army "manufactured" the reports so that airlines would have to move back to Don Mueang, then just make sure your tin foil hat doesn't fall off.

Emoticons, sarcasm, insults ...but little credible arguments.

What I'm saying is the government (the junta at this time) wanted to force the airline to move back to Don Muang. Their case was based on reports that was heavily criticized and eventually ignored. Facts.

Don Muang used to be a cash cow for the army for years. Facts too.

You add a huge disinformation campaign in the press.

People will draw their own conclusion.

Emoticons, sarcasm, insults ...but little credible arguments.

What I'm saying is the government (the junta at this time) wanted to force the airline to move back to Don Muang. Their case was based on reports that was heavily criticized and eventually ignored. Facts.

Don Muang used to be a cash cow for the army for years. Facts too.

You add a huge disinformation campaign in the press.

People will draw their own conclusion.

The reports weren't ignored. A runway and taxiways were closed for sometime for repair. FACTS.

The government suggested that the airlines move back to Don Mueang and that suggestion was rightly criticised and ridiculed.

Yes, Don Mueang is a cash cow for the military (airforce, actually).

As to "forcing them to move" ... who's dealing in disinformation?

Be wiser: every airliner thinks of: earning money and fulfill their liner obligations

In 2003-2004 I had to go often to Port Harcourt - Nigeria, with Lufthansa.

Every time before a plane couild land the runway had to be cleard of buffaloos. Till Dec 2003: when a football match was on TV, and the control tower had other to do...( YES! )

So, the plane landed, and crashed its nose wheel on a buffalo. Plane was stuck for weeks at Port Harcourt.

Thai politics is all about business people having access to government positions of power from where they can direct public money to their businesses. Yes, the government is a "big trough full of goodies" and it starts at the local level. And nothing will change until the Thai public stop watching idiotic soupies and start taking interest in what's actually going on. Only then the media may start reporting the truth and stop its subservient role to the corrupt politicians that are in power. But media, that "double edged sword" is partly to blame for the prevailing culture as it influences (manipulates) the public opinion and expectations so it's like a catch 22 with no obvious way out. Perhaps slowly, another 400 years and we're there.

There seems to be zero effort being made to fight this fight. How many Thai officials have been arrested and jailed in the past year on corruption charges? Until this starts to happen it is a joke, a lie, a deceit, and something far, far beyond disingenuous to say Thailand has an active anti graft commission, or is in any way waging a battle against corruption, or even interested in fighting it. Here is an excerpt from an article I recently read, which validates my long standing argument that Thailand is one of the very few countries in Asia, NOT fighting corruption on an level. Read this. 6,000 government officials were jailed in 2010 for corruption. Almost 1,000 were executed for corruption! Now, that is a fight against corruption!

Critics say corruption has long been one of China’s most chronic problems. Chinese presidents and premiers, including the current leaders Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao, have publicly denounced rampant corruption for years, but standards of conduct only seem to deteriorate. Out of 178 countries in Transparency International’s 2010 Corruption Perception Index – which measures the perceived levels of corruption in public sectors – China ranked 78th.

That’s lower than most other developed countries, as well as many developing countries such as Brazil and Cuba.

According to a Beijing News report last May, 24,406 government officials were jailed in 2010 for corruption, up 9.4 percent from 2009. Almost 6,000 of them were sentenced to more than five years in prison.

China is also one of the few countries in the world that executes its citizens on corruption charges. Some of the officials captured in Zhang’s portraits have already been executed, including the former head of the State Food and Drug Administration and the former governor of Guangxi province.