Honesty In Thailand

davey26

My wife, her sister and a young nephew went to Laos to take a look around. At one of the large temples, the nephew (7 yrs. old) saw a farang lady lose her wallet. Apparently it fell out of her handbag. The youngster told my wife and she told him to go pick it up and return it to the lady. He did so and received an accusing look as if he had stolen it. No gratitude or thanks. It's likely that the next time he will ignore anything like that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the people in Thailand to be surprisingly honest.

Where else in the world could you leave your motorcycle helmet sitting on the mirror all the time, expensive stylish full face helmet, never stolen. In fact I have only heard one person claim his helmet was stolen in all my time here.

Where else could you go shopping with a pickup truck, leave all your purchases in the back, and walk around making new purchases.

I have never had anything taken out of the back of my pickup.

You wouldn't be able to do that back in the UK or USA!

My parents live in a village in Wales they ofetn leave doors open all day and night and go out , no locks .

It's like that in small towns in the USA as well. But in medium size and large American cities? Forget about it. They wouldn't bother taking just the helmet, they'd take the whole freakin bike. Bangkok and Chiang Mai are two of the safest cities--for their size--that I've been to. Well, outside of Japan anyways.

My parents live in a village in Wales they ofetn leave doors open all day and night and go out , no locks .

The simple reason for this is locks haven't found their way to Wales yet. I was somewhat shocked to discover you have doors.

(Joke!)

Well if it made u feel good I can't see anything wrong with it ,wether u go back or not is up to you.

I went change the tyres on my truck the other day in a local garage and understanding Thai quite well one of the staff said to the boss man how much shall we charge him to which the boss said same as normal these falangs are always getting ripped off

He had no idea I can speak or understand Thai although I own a truck so it made me feel good and yes I will always go back there again ,if it was an educated guess and his part then he deserves made business

As I said if it makes u feel good that's ok by me.biggrin.gif

The simple reason for this is locks haven't found their way to Wales yet. I was somewhat shocked to discover you have doors.

(Joke!)

Me too....but Hobbits have come a long way!

Oh...no...that was New Zealand!

(joke too!)

Planted 1 rai of really expensive ( 900 baht for seed) sweetcorn earlier this year for the family and me. When it was ready to pick 80% was taken during a few nights. I think I got 10 pieces. 90% of my mangos gone. Family rubber has been taken many times. I hung some old CDs ( maybe 40) on our fence to reflect moon light at night to keep the elephants away. Locals took them all thinking they had some value. When anyone plants a big cash crop they have to sleep in the field every night or it will be gone. Same goes for rubber. Some honest Thais for sure but many can't be trusted. Poor farmers are the worst !!! I don't think they have a clue what honesty is.....dog eat dog.

You can never win against the cynics.... "Now the Owner has bought your patronage for 30 baht" ??? come on, are some of you so bitter that this is all you see ?

The Op has posted a positive experience on a forum much more frequently populated by negative ones. People find something wrong with this ?

:thumbsup:

I had this experience at the fruit vendor stall, too. Two young lads returned it though and missing about 2500. With smiles, too which makes it rather uniquely a Thai style rip off.

I have to say no other culture that I've seen is so accepting of lying. It seems to be a standard business practice, in fact.

I always find it amusing the posters who complain about negativity are in actuality- the ones being negative ! I think of a lot of people post negative experiences well maybe it really happens. Maybe good things happen too, but they don't feel the need to come on forums and vent, or warn others.

( Maybe not all of us have Thai partners to protect us. )

It seems rather ..dictatorial to tell others in what manner they must feel in order to respond. I for one ignore it.

I accidentally left my wallet with a fruit vendor for a few minutes. When I returned she was full of smiles and returned my wallet. She had helped herself to a 1000 baht "tip" for her honesty.

Stayed at Dynasty Grande a few years ago and accidentally left a Canon 70-200 f2.8L/IS lens in the room. For you photography buffs, you know how much this lens is.

I completely forgot about the lens and return to the same hotel a year later. The check-in lady said, "you forgot something sir??" and put the lens in front of me as I signed in.