Ukrainian Victims Of Latest Pattaya Jet Ski Incident

Rimmer

Ukrainian victims of latest Pattaya Jet Ski incident

PATTAYA: -- Incidents relating to Jet Skis, their operators and customers continue to occur in Pattaya and on Thursday, 5 Ukrainian’s were involved in such a case which began with them hiring 3 Jet Skis on Pattaya Beach in front of the Royal Garden Plaza for a period of 30 minutes. During this time the tourists admitted to colliding and are believed to have caused minor damage to each Jet Ski. At this point the operators surrounded the 3 women and 2 men and demanded they hand over the equivalent of 78,000 Baht in US Dollar currency. The money was demanded prior to an inspection of the damage by a qualified repairman. During the initial confrontation, one of the operators, Khun Sarayoot aged 33 is alleged to have placed his hands around the neck of Miss Eleanor aged 23, an allegation he denies. The three women were allowed to return to their Hotel to collect the money which they reluctantly agreed to pay, leaving the two men at the beach. They were ordered to remain there as guarantee of payment. At this point the Police were called and joined the three women at the Hotel. The Police Officer then made contact with the Jet Ski Operator and asked to inspect the damage. However Khun Sarayoot claimed the Jet Skis had already been taken to the repair shop and could not be inspected.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-12-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The only way to stop this is to never rent a Jet Ski. They will eventually get you. I did 10 years of trouble free renting but they got me this year. They had to have someone pretend to drown to get me to help but I fell for it! lol

NEVER NEVER AGAIN. Should be put up against a wall and **** :jap:

The only way to stop this is to never rent a Jet Ski. They will eventually get you. I did 10 years of trouble free renting but they got me this year. They had to have someone pretend to drown to get me to help but I fell for it! lol

NEVER NEVER AGAIN. Should be put up against a wall and **** :jap:

how much did you get burn ?

it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Why what are they going to do ?.....cut off their telephones ?....:whistling:

For a Thai, that would be worse than death, so it's probably the only thing that would work ;) A really sad story, if true. I can think of a few charges against the operators, starting with assault (hands on neck) and kidnapping (the two men held on the beach). Isn't there supposed to be some new system in place for resolving these disputes...seemed like the police may have been trying to go by the book but was prevented by the operator.

Yet more bad publicity for Thailands tourist industry. These jet-ski scams have gone on for years, it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Actually its a Good Publicity .... People should know... so that they can stop renting those Jet Skies...

and I think you meant TAT wink.gif

Yet more bad publicity for Thailands tourist industry. These jet-ski scams have gone on for years, it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Yes, but the publicity is mostly within Thailand itself in local or regional publications, so unless you follow the goings on in Thailand you don't hear of these scams...

Perhaps if someone created a list of links to a few dozen of these stories and sent them to the Associated Press, perhaps these pirates would get some international attention... :whistling:

First mistake is to rent anything from a Thai person in Pattaya. Pattaya Police are rumored to pay for their job in Pattaya because of this kind of thing involving payoffs to the police. The BIB here will take money from you for not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle, and then drive away on their motorcycle without a helmet on. A badge in this place is just a license to steal. I live 2 "villages" north, about 20 kilometers, and the police are actually helpful, considerate, and lead by example most of the time.

Would it be possible for the women, who were at the hotel with the police, lay a complaint that their men were being held for ransom, Kidnapping? Perhaps contact their embassy and complain that their men were being held on the beach.

Surely the embassy would then pressure the police to investigate. Make a trade, no charge to be laid for holding the men for ransom in exchange for no money for the jet ski scam.

Ok I know, I'm dreaming. :unsure:

Ukranians complain they became victims of a scam? biggrin.giflaugh.gif Check this news report in German press dated Dec. 7th out:

"A bizarre scandal rocked the political scene currently in Kiev: Justice Minister Alexander Lawrinowitsch using a Mercedes GL as an official states company car, which was reported stolen in Germany in January 2010!

Never expect less desaster than you accept at home!

it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

For a Thai, that would be worse than death, so it's probably the only thing that would work ;) A really sad story, if true. I can think of a few charges against the operators, starting with assault (hands on neck) and kidnapping (the two men held on the beach). Isn't there supposed to be some new system in place for resolving these disputes...seemed like the police may have been trying to go by the book but was prevented by the operator.

There are so many things that could be done to stop this. The list is endless. If the authorities wanted to stop this. If they cared. If they even acknowledged there might be a connection between bad press, bad reputations, and declining tourism. Do you think they have thought of that? I suspect the only way things will change is after the industry declines dramatically, and they something may be done. Some link may be made. Some thought may be put into this. Some authorities with cajones may step forth. Until then, do not expect much. Let's ponder a list of things that could be done to stop this:

block the SIM card of the operators.

publish a list of the names of the offenders, and their locations.

have the police insist that a neutral third party inspect, and give an estimate of damage, of all returning jet skis.

force the operators to take photos of all jet skis before and after each rental.

impose a fine of 100,000 baht per offense, when an operator violates any of the bylaws, which will be instituted by the tourist police.

impose a mandatory jail sentence of 3 years in prison, forfeiture of all equipment, and a fine of 5,000,000 baht if an operator is reported 3 times.

If any of the above suggestions were imposed, it could dramatically cut down on these crimes. These are crime syndicates, operating with immunity. And who is doing anything about it, other than giving it lip service, and an occasional press conference, where pronouncements are made by the mayor, with zero conviction behind them. As usual, the TAT, and any other relevant authority is completely absent, and life goes no. Well, my guess is that if this keeps up indefinitely, Thai tourism will be a mere memory in 10 years or so.

Seems like the word could get out, somehow, that renting these things is not wise. Take it to facebook! A page for safe tourism in Thailand would be very helpful. There, or where else?

This is already "out" and it continues to happen. What's his name...Drummond, seems to tell and retell these stories. He's even photographed and documented the process. Nothing has really changed. Word of mouth and reading websites to not rent jet-skis in Pattaya is really your only defense. The police are too corrupt to do anything about it as they get a cut of the money extorted. Welcome to Thailand.

There are so many things that could be done to stop this. The list is endless. If the authorities wanted to stop this. If they cared. If they even acknowledged there might be a connection between bad press, bad reputations, and declining tourism. Do you think they have thought of that? I suspect the only way things will change is after the industry declines dramatically, and they something may be done. Some link may be made. Some thought may be put into this. Some authorities with cajones may step forth. Until then, do not expect much. Let's ponder a list of things that could be done to stop this:

block the SIM card of the operators.

publish a list of the names of the offenders, and their locations.

have the police insist that a neutral third party inspect, and give an estimate of damage, of all returning jet skis.

force the operators to take photos of all jet skis before and after each rental.

impose a fine of 100,000 baht per offense, when an operator violates any of the bylaws, which will be instituted by the tourist police.

impose a mandatory jail sentence of 3 years in prison, forfeiture of all equipment, and a fine of 5,000,000 baht if an operator is reported 3 times.

If any of the above suggestions were imposed, it could dramatically cut down on these crimes. These are crime syndicates, operating with immunity. And who is doing anything about it, other than giving it lip service, and an occasional press conference, where pronouncements are made by the mayor, with zero conviction behind them. As usual, the TAT, and any other relevant authority is completely absent, and life goes no. Well, my guess is that if this keeps up indefinitely, Thai tourism will be a mere memory in 10 years or so.

Hasn't most of this been exposed already? I mean...you read about these scams in the same way you read about that nice Nigerian man who is ready to hand over millions of dollars if you could just send your credit card details by email... I mean, really. THE PATTAYA JET SKI SCAM is as commonly known to a savvy tourist as much as the adam's apple on katooey is. Don't bother trying to change the Thais. This scam is rotten to its core as the local police are as corrupt as the jet-ski vendors themselves. Just make people aware and dissuade them from using a jet-ski. This, sadly, is your only defense.

This type of thing goes on almost everyday once you rent a jet ski and you advise what hotel you are staying they go after big baht .

It's not just the thugs on the beach it's must be corrupt police that help .

Two weeks ago opposite soi 11 The scammer threw bottles at 4 Russians after they refused to pay extortion money.

The same scammers are still on the beach.

says all 3 got damaged, Thats around 25k each. Sounds about right considering they will also be out of the water and a loss of business which would be considerate.

Do tourists really expect the jet skis to be shopped for 3 quotes.

what am I missing ?

Actually its a Good Publicity .... People should know... so that they can stop renting those Jet Skies...

and I think you meant TAT wink.gif

I think you are right, he meant TAT and I think you meant 'Jet Skis'rolleyes.gif

First mistake is to rent anything from a Thai person in Pattaya. Pattaya Police are rumored to pay for their job in Pattaya because of this kind of thing involving payoffs to the police. The BIB here will take money from you for not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle, and then drive away on their motorcycle without a helmet on. A badge in this place is just a license to steal. I live 2 "villages" north, about 20 kilometers, and the police are actually helpful, considerate, and lead by example most of the time.

In UK police will fine you for not wearing a seatbelt then drive off not wearing one. I don't care, we know the rules so it's up to us to comply or pay the fines. At least here in Pattaya they fine you with a smile on their face smile.gif