German Resident Robbed At Gun Point In North Pattaya

Rimmer

Thailand is dangerous and is becoming more and more dangerous as time goes by. I believe it will soon be classified as a dangerous destination to travel to and countries will be forced to give warnings. Just as cigarette companies have to give health warnings and many people will ignore the warnings and learn the hard way.

I often warn that Thailand is dangerous and for some obsurd reason it seems to upset Londoners who like to hang around public toilets.

Good. We cant have this international hub of crimes being unknown to the rest of the world.

Thank god we have people like you warning others about this.

Question though... Mention another prime tourist destination, that doesn't face similar problems ?

And while you are at it, let us all know why Thailand is so dangerous, that you feel the need to warn others.

Apart from traffic, tuk tuks and jet skis - reported crime against tourist seems low compared to say Rio de Janero.

Or even compared to Spain. Highway robbery is now a common thing there.

Post may contain irony.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is dangerous and is becoming more and more dangerous as time goes by. I believe it will soon be classified as a dangerous destination to travel to and countries will be forced to give warnings. Just as cigarette companies have to give health warnings and many people will ignore the warnings and learn the hard way.

I often warn that Thailand is dangerous and for some obsurd reason it seems to upset Londoners who like to hang around public toilets.

Good. We cant have this international hub of crimes being unknown to the rest of the world.

Question though... Mention another prime tourist destination, that doesn't face similar problems ?

And while you are at it, let us all know why Thailand is so dangerous, that you feel the need to warn others.

Apart from traffic, tuk tuks and jet skis - reported crime against tourist seems low compared to say Rio de Janero.

Post may contain irony and bovine excrement.

you must be a lost confused soul. this site is about "Thailand" not "Rio De Janero" or other international destinations. I would've thought that the word THAI-visa would've given you a clue.

get a grip man ... sort your head out for goodness sake.

Edited by Randee

Thailand is as dangerous as you make it, as with all other countries in the world! The 67 yo German was called a resident in the original piece, so would not be a tourist. Good chance that he lived near to the area he was mugged, being alone at that time of the morning. Whether he was carrying 16,000 Baht or 16 Baht, no one should be able to determine what was in his pocket/wallet, unless he was flashing it around, or as suggested earlier in this stream, he was observed making a withdrawal from an ATM.

Unfortunately, sh*t happens and it appears he was unlucky in the sense that he lost some money, a watch and a mobile. He can also think himself lucky that that was all he lost!

you are just another dude with no experience who likes to talk.

"as dangerous as you make it" ... that's just a dumb thing to say. i bet you think a person who gets knocked down by a crazy driver while innocently crossing the road deserves it .....

dumb as they come

Post may contain irony.

Try Belfast. I lived there for the first 15 years of my life and never had a problem. Doubt things have got worse since the 60's & 70's, but it had a bit of a reputation then. Wouldn't think Pattaya was any worse than that, then or now!

Yes, I have lived in Pattaya and enjoyed every minute, without a problem.

What is it with certain members of TV ?

Have they never seen crime before in their life ?

Why make Thailand out to be so haunted by criminals, that surely this is the worst place in the world ?

And if its as bad as they say, why even bother staying here in the first place ?

The root of the problem is ( in my humble opinion ) that Thailand has a lot of relatively poor people and tourists are perceived wealthy.

So there is the occasional robbery, like 1 per week gets reported.

Is that number high, no.

What about in the US, certain parts of major cities are off limits for the police even.

The term " I wouldn't be caught dead there" springs to mind, as you would be dead if you got caught there.

London, there is a robbery committed against another person every 15 minutes.

Fact is, its no longer news worthy in those places and barely gets reported, as its part of everyday life.

Here, the occasional mugging gets reported and now all of a sudden, some people are gobsmacked and declares Thailand unsafe and full of crime.

I say, wake up Cinderella and look around.

Thailand is not the crime ridden place you seem to think it is.

What you see is the norm for any prime tourist destination around the world.

Basically read up a little on the internet and avoid the obvious traps and you are most likely going to be fine.

As for red light districts, St. Pauli and Amsterdam certainly have their fare share of crime too.

If you step into the fire, you are likely to get burned.

you must be a lost confused soul. this site is about "Thailand" not "Rio De Janero" or other international destinations. I would've thought that the word THAI-visa would've given you a clue.

When you quote someone, don't edit the wording mate, especially don't make it seem so, that I use foul language.

This site is indeed about Thailand. But don't make it out to be worse than anywhere else.

And try and be polite too, that is always a good starting point for a discussion.

Resorting to foul language and talking down to people generally shows more about you, than the other party.

When you quote someone, don't edit the wording mate, especially don't make it seem so, that I use foul language.

This site is indeed about Thailand. But don't make it out to be worse than anywhere else.

And try and be polite too, that is always a good starting point for a discussion.

Resorting to foul language and talking down to people generally shows more about you, than the other party.

stop crying and having a tantrum., get over it and move on.

you got a deserved slap in the face for your low class dumb sarcasm. sum num naa :jerk:

The 16k baht are surprising.

Unless he just changed money or made a withdrawal from an ATM or someone had to pay out a debt to the man just earlier in the evening, I don't see why someone would carry that sum?

Could he have been observed doing that withdrawal?

What's wrong with carrying small change?

I used to love flying to Thailand, to visit the friendliest nation in the world. It alarms me to see Thailand turning into a second Africa, where nobody seems to worry about our large and serious crimes

Don't condemn all of Thailand, Pattaya & Phuket are the A holes of Thailand, most of Thailand is not like Pattaya & Phuket, but I also don't walk around late at night in dangerous areas with 16,000 Bath on me, it is a good bet he was at a bar and someone saw the money and followed him.

I used to love flying to Thailand, to visit the friendliest nation in the world. It alarms me to see Thailand turning into a second Africa, where nobody seems to worry about our large and serious crimes

Don't condemn all of Thailand, Pattaya & Phuket are the A holes of Thailand, most of Thailand is not like Pattaya & Phuket, but I also don't walk around late at night in dangerous areas with 16,000 Bath on me, it is a good bet he was at a bar and someone saw the money and followed him.

I fully agree, and I still think Thailand and its people is FANTASTIC

The 16k baht are surprising.

Unless he just changed money or made a withdrawal from an ATM or someone had to pay out a debt to the man just earlier in the evening, I don't see why someone would carry that sum?

Could he have been observed doing that withdrawal?

The amount of money is irrelevant, to some 16K not that much, what is important here is Thailand is getting a very bad reputation as being a dangerous place, and Its mainly caused by drug dealers pushing various adictive products to the general populous creating addicts who become desperate for a fix and turn to whatever means to get cash. The problem is at epidemic levels.

If the police continue to allow drug dealers to get off for a price (as they usually do) then the problem will destroy Thailand and its people eventually. :bah:

A guy 67 years old walking in the night and 16000 in his pocket ? That is really looking for trouble i Pattaya

Or is this a story from a german wants money from the robberys ,if they catch them ?

A really story I dont belief anything about it -- true ? not complete I think

Murder, Rape, Armed Robbery, Flashmob Attack, Jerry Sandusky, 3 Year old boy beaten by father, Boy Scout leader molests young boys,

Drunk driver kills mother and 2 babies, Church Youth Leader Convicted of Abuse. This was in my local newspaper today were I'm staying

In the states. Pop.300,000. I will not feel safe until I'm back in Thailand with my TW. Bonus....I can wear my Rolex...The locals think It's a fake.:rolleyes:

Many Thais do not walk alone at night due to the presence of moto cy bandits. It is not uncommon for Thai gals be robbed of their purses, gold, etc.

Third road and Northern Naklua are gang territories. The reason that their activities are somewhat curtailed -the jet ski thugs being the exception- in the tourist zone is that there is a greater police presence necessitated by the maintenance of the tourist economy.

If one were to be jumped ,for example,on beach Road you would be in the open, under street light, and stand a chance of being spotted by the police. On the other-hand, if one were to stroll down an isolated soi, then anything could happen.

The influx of 'economic refugees' into Pats has raised the danger level, so the resident who is used to his comfort zone needs to be made aware of the new realities. Sadly, the fellow in question was not.

My guess is that the 'members' who are constantly making silly confrontational posts do not live in Pattaya. I say this because they appear not to be familiar with the concept of a social conscience. The majority of Pattaya members, aside from expressing differing viewpoints, and engaging in healthy debate, are unified in the belief that warning tourists, and in this case-the unaware, of the dangers of certain areas of Pattaya takes priority over personal matters.

The most sensible post of the last 4 pages along with Randee's comments, for smile value ( not that I think being a victim of armed robbery is to smile about ).

It could have been far worse though, he may have been swayed to buy a time share and joined in my experience of getting mugged in Pattaya. Years later he could still be paying for it also.

I agree with a poster on the last page, that Gunpoint location needs to be given a miss.

Anyone want to buy a time share?

This is a relatively new, and unfamiliar phenomenon in Thailand. Armed robbery is nearly unheard of here, specifically a Thai robbing a fareng with a weapon other than a knife. In many countries this is considered very serious. If the Thai authorities have the wisdom to acknowledge how serious this trend it, and arrest and convict accordingly, the trend may go away. But, I am talking about 5-15 years in prison for armed robbery. Word will get around. The Thais talk a lot, and everyone will hear about the convictions. But, to expect the Thai police and judiciary to display wisdom and the conviction to follow this through, especially against parents with money, may be too much to ask for. This is a very serious situation, as many farengs stay in Thailand because it is considered to be safe. If this changes, the fareng retirees may start to disappear. It could also have a dramatic impact on tourism.

Where does this advice come from? Is it based on statistics, police reports, or your own experience? I have been here many years, and have not found any aspect of it to be dangerous. That is if you use your wits, and are relatively sober most of the time. So, what causes you to make such an inflammatory accusation? Is this based on anything at all? Many of us consider the place to be very, very safe. Thai people are not violent people, and the vast majority of violence I run into here, are either being perpetrated by Thais on Thais, or drunk Brits.

Soi 16/1 is a quite Soi without much lighting and many LBs rent cheap rooms there. Not wise to carry large sums of money anytime but especially at night......thats by the way as the robber has no idea what he was carrying unless of course saw previously.....the issue is its robbery at gunpoint!!!..........its becoming quite popular in the Pattaya area....

Where does this advice come from?

From a Nicolas Cage movie. :rolleyes:

Where does this advice come from? Is it based on statistics, police reports, or your own experience? I have been here many years, and have not found any aspect of it to be dangerous. That is if you use your wits, and are relatively sober most of the time. So, what causes you to make such an inflammatory accusation? Is this based on anything at all? Many of us consider the place to be very, very safe. Thai people are not violent people, and the vast majority of violence I run into here, are either being perpetrated by Thais on Thais, or drunk Brits.

how long exactly have you been here?

what kind of lifestyle/s are you/have been leading?

what/which aspect/s of thailand do you choose to experience?

i mean if you consider 2 or 3 years to be "many" and you have locked yourself away in a plastic hotel all the time - or you live in the middle of nowhere and isolated - say on a rice farm. then these are the only experiences you will be able to witness or talk about.

Almost 7 years. And I travel all the time to large cities in Thailand. I walk the streets of the capital at all hours of the night. Have had zero issues. More than I can say about most other large cities I visit elsewhere. The fact is there is very little violent crime here. Believe what you want to believe.

One post in a foreign language has been removed from view along with numerous flames/insulting posts. Please keep this civil. :jap:

Per forum rules:

English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.