Cbr250 Gear Changing Problems?

gravion

Hi, i haved rented cbr250 several times, around 2500km on the clock.

But seems to occur clutch, gear change problems. its unsmooth to set to neutral and sometimes unsure the gear changes, especially shifting up. I rented ninja250 as well, but they are smooth as.

is this common with cbr models???

Is it always the same CBR? If so then the problem is most likely the external shift linkage needs to be cleaned and lubed.

nah is not the same cbr, where is external shift linkage?

Also do chains needs to be frequently lubed as well? Lubed = those oil sprays?

cheerios

I've had 5 CBR 150's and they have all had stubborn shifting problems. Sometimes when i downshift when slowing down fast, the bike wont go into any gears, then i have to barely let the clutch out and it goes into place. My old NSR's have always been smooth as silk though, not even needing to use the clutch on upshifts.

Chain should be oiled regularly, most shops do it for free or charge you 5 baht, when its about to get dry oil it. Every 1500 kilos for chainlube, every 700 kilos for regular oil. Make sure you can move the chain up and down about 1.5 centimeters when sitting on it, or else the bike will vibrate and you'll lose about 10% of your acceleration on lower displacement bikes when the chain is too tight.

Edited by KRS1

I had a CBR 125 for a while in the UK and the gearbox was terrible. Apparently a very common problem on them, even the older ones. Not sure if it's just a baby CBR thing. I also had the ninja and that too was extremely smooth through the gears. As far as I'm aware up-shifting without clutching can be done on any normal bike, I've also heard tales it actually puts less stress on the gearbox when under acceleration but there doesn't seem to be any logical sense in that to me.

As far as lubing the chain goes, just do it before or after you use it and you can't go wrong. thumbsup.gif

My CBR250r is not happy going into first gear when it's hot, I select neutral at the lights, so I roll it back or forward a little and it goes in. Maybe needs a higher spec oil.

I lube my chain with Mercury outboard motor grease. Do it every time the bike comes back from the wash.....every week to 10 days. O/B motor grease is low low (almost none) fling, it's high pressure rated and will withstand a lot of corrosive sh1t on the roads here.

I've had 5 CBR 150's and they have all had stubborn shifting problems. Sometimes when i downshift when slowing down fast, the bike wont go into any gears, then i have to barely let the clutch out and it goes into place. My old NSR's have always been smooth as silk though, not even needing to use the clutch on upshifts.

Chain should be oiled regularly, most shops do it for free or charge you 5 baht, when its about to get dry oil it. Every 1500 kilos for chainlube, every 700 kilos for regular oil. Make sure you can move the chain up and down about 1.5 centimeters when sitting on it, or else the bike will vibrate and you'll lose about 10% of your acceleration on lower displacement bikes when the chain is too tight.

Have the same problem with not going into gears and not just shifting down either, heck it even slipped out out gear on the road. Took it in to honda, all they did was to adjust the clutch cable, it didn't do !@$T. Just have to pump the clutch and it's good to go, but definitely leaving you feeling a bit worried.

BTW I'm also on the 150.

Anyway to really fix this problem? or is it a design fault somewhere?

This last CBR 150 i have now, wouldn't go into 2nd if it was rode hard like drag racing,after forcing it time after time, it now goes smoothly.

I've tried raising and lowering the angle of the shift lever but it didn't work. The latest thing is for it to downshift automatically when im in too high a gear going uphill.

Kinda cool actually, it's like it's developing artificial intelligence or something.:blink:

This last CBR 150 i have now, wouldn't go into 2nd if it was rode hard like drag racing,after forcing it time after time, it now goes smoothly.

I've tried raising and lowering the angle of the shift lever but it didn't work. The latest thing is for it to downshift automatically when im in too high a gear going uphill.

Kinda cool actually, it's like it's developing artificial intelligence or something.:blink:

Umm, we don't actually have good history with AI on this planet.:whistling:

Terminators, Space Od 2001, Matrix, I Robot, many more I'm sure.