Checkout Family Members In The Kitchen

tutsiwarrior

today my BiL's wife came to the house and in a subtle way she is an excellent cook...runs a food stall somewhere near where they live...

I watched as she sliced some horrendously hot chiles and added then to the other ingredients in the wok...she stirred them around briefly and then turned the heat off...I understood that if she kept the heat goin' then the hot chiles would render the rest of it unedible and too spicy...she knew how to control the heat from the cooker to give the dish a nice garnish...

she knows that I like to cook and has turned out some of her best stuff for me to taste...probably the best technique that I've seen anywhere...

what about you? have your inlaws, wife or whatever given you any tips on the local cuisine?

let's hear your stories...

Hey tuts, ever find the missing meet grinder?

no, but I suspect that there is a malevolent presence in the house that wants to thwart falang cuisine....

but I'm talking about thai food and ways to make it palatable...my BiL's wife looks like the big mama on the label of the popular oyster sauce and has no reason to steal the bits from my meat grinder...

please someone tell us about pleasant cooking experiences with thai family members? or are we to be vanquished by BKK cynicism in an attempt to destroy countryside thai family ways...:(

I like the way our open midden has grown into an eggplant and tomatoe orchard from all the som tam leftovers .

Upon returning from a mushroom gathering expedition with my wife , her old dad , a gentleman always , cooked up a geng het in a small pot . Het pueng , pak teo , prik , nam pla , geua , all in boiling water for about five minutes . It was splendid . It was simple . It was delicious .

excellent story, that's what we want to hear...

now, when I was first married I watched as my new wife prepared gaeng som and it had a strong smell but there was a load of garlic so I said: 'can't be too bad...' but it was horrible and the smell of old socks couldn't be rid of for a few days...then the neighbors started to complain in Abu Dhabi as it stank up the whole building...but, it is my wife's 'comfort food' and she is my beloved so OK...and we have separate kitchens now at home anyway, hers is outdoors on the terrace...never knew that bamboo shoots could smell so strong when cooked...

then there is the humble khaao tom muu and my MiL makes the best there is...she has a way with handling pork broth (water added to the drippings) that makes it special...she is also a licentious, sexy old woman and I like standing near to her while she's cooking...she serves it up and smiles alluringly with the new dentures that I bought and says: 'you like that? (aroy?)'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

now, when I was first married I watched as my new wife prepared gaeng som and it had a strong smell but there was a load of garlic so I said: 'can't be too bad...' but it was horrible and the smell of old socks couldn't be rid of for a few days...then the neighbors started to complain in Abu Dhabi as it stank up the whole building...but, it is my wife's 'comfort food' and she is my beloved so OK...and we have separate kitchens now at home anyway, hers is outdoors on the terrace...never knew that bamboo shoots could smell so strong when cooked...

Oh and it cleans ye right out .

Here's my dear wife hanging up the garlic and sour sausage .

Here's my dear wife hanging up the garlic and sour sausage .

I'm truly jealous of your wife's enormous sausage - very well hung!

a video is a good idea and I will keep it in mind to record events in the upstairs family kitchen...

I came across my little 8 y.o. niece recently standing onna stool by the wok frying some extra pork to add to her khaao tom...what a picture, it coulda easily been my heart that she was cooking...

a SiL that lives in the house gets her husband to bring home the rope like water lillies from where he works and she's good at stripping the tough outer skin before cooking...really tasty when cooked up with pork fat and her skin stripping technique is a delight to watch...gotta remember to film it next time...licklips.gif

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

oh...and at new years eve my little niece prepared for me a vegetable soup that she knows that I like and I almost went down on my bended knees, etc...

quite amazing as she prepared it by herself I'm told...she has an interesting way of handling prik/chile for an 8 y.o....maybe she gets it from her sexy grandmother: 'now, y'see dese falangs don't like ped mak...'

and I shall live if only to see her happily married with her own kitchen...and if her husband ever makes her unhappy then he shall see the wrath of tutsiwarrior...

(great idea for a film by Werner Herzog?)

Edited by tutsiwarrior