Rental Investment In Bangkok

Hi

I am thinking about buying properties in Thailand. Can anyone tell me which areas in Thailand traditionally give good rental and capital appreciation?

Also what are the main implications in purchasing properties as a foreigner as well as how easy is it to arrange mortgage there.

Thanks

Chalee :o

Also what are the main implications in purchasing properties as a foreigner as well as how easy is it to arrange mortgage there.

Foreigners can only buy condo unit not any landed property. On top of that, you have to seek your own financing or pay full cash thru. wireless transfer funds from overseas.

Hi

I am thinking about buying properties in Thailand. Can anyone tell me which areas in Thailand traditionally give good rental and capital appreciation?

Thanks

Chalee :o

Good rental income = areas where there is a high demand and little available of course. In reality, not many places in Thailand have this combination.

Capital Appreciation = depends on who you talk too. I believe that land appreciattes here but houses or condo's do not to any great degree. 99% of the buyers are Thai and they want out of preference to buy brand new and then tailor the interior to their taste. farang areas might be slightly different. Therefore new properties always comand a premium over older ones. In many cases anything built over 10 years old is in a poor state of repair and often not worth anything in a Thai's eyes. (just look at the crap available).

Mortgages are available only to a select few farang. work permit is a pre-requisite and banking history, ample funds over and above what you want to borrow often required as proof of your worth. Also, mortgages on condo's are very difficult as you have to ship in all the purchase price, then once you have paid in full and registered it, then go and take out a mortgage, at which point you get the mortaged amount back - however you cannot take it back out of the country easily. For houses, the mortgage will be in the name of the company buying/owning it, not you as a person.

If your considering this a speculative investment on land price increases, there are probably easier less risky ways of making money.