Thai PM To Meet Myanmar's Suu Kyi Next Week

webfact

Thai PM to meet Myanmar's Suu Kyi next week

448px-Yingluck_Shinawatra_at_US_Embassy%2C_Bangkok%2C_July_2011.jpg414px-Aung_San_Suu_Kyi.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra - Aung San Suu Kyi, file photos. Source: wikimedia

BANGKOK, December 17, 2011 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Saturday that she would meet Myanmar's democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi on a visit to the neighbouring country next week.

Yingluck will travel to Myanmar's capital Naypyidaw on Monday for a meeting of Greater Mekong country leaders before visiting Yangon -- becoming the first Thai premier to meet Suu Kyi, a government spokesman said.

"I will attend the conference on Mekong energy cooperation in Myanmar and will take this opportunity to meet with Aung San Suu Kyi to exchange views and ideas," Yingluck said in her weekly live television broadcast.

"She is a remarkable woman who fights for democracy," she added.

Thai foreign affairs spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said it would be the first meeting of a Thai leader with Suu Kyi, leader of the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD), who has been detained for most of the past two decades.

She was released from her latest stint under house arrest in Yangon a few days after a controversial election in November last year, and has said she will take part in by-elections expected in early 2012.

Since coming to power in March after nearly five decades of outright military rule, Myanmar's nominally civilian government has surprised critics with a series of reformist moves.

Yingluck took office in August after sweeping to a Thai election victory with the support of her older brother, fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup in 2006.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-12-17

Is Thaksin, the Mandela of Asia? Will ASSk be the Yingluck of Myanmar?

OK I shouldnt even make a remark about this for the possibility I may be murdered like the thousands of innocent victims who were shot at point blank range by Taksin's henchmen "the police", whose mission is to serve and protect?? Yeah Serve the rich and Protect there crimes from being exposed...

You really think Yingluck is any better than her mass murdering older brother?? U have been truly fooled as milions of uneducated people have been all over Thailand...

God Bless Suu Kyi and I hope she doesnt believe any of the dreams she is sold by this friend of the Military junta and henchwoman for the Thai/Chinese mafia..

Thai PM expects to meet Suu Kyi during her visit to Myanmar next week

image_201112171311574AA5F5C1-F7BC-B536-5B2029E3C163627E.jpg

CHIANG MAI, Dec 17 -- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Saturday that she would pay an official introductory visit to Myanmar next week and she expected to meet Myanmar's opposition leader.

Ms Yingluck said during her weekly TV programme "Yingluck Government meets the People" that she will travel to Myanmar's capital Naypyidaw on Monday to attend the 4th Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Summit 2011 before paying an official visit to Myanmar.

The premier said she may have an opportunity to meet with Aung San Suu Kyi in Yangon and exchange views.

Ms Yingluck said Ms Suu Kyi has fought for democracy in Myanmar and Thai people also wanted to see the continued development of democracy in Thailand.

During the 4th GMS Summit, the leaders of the six GMS countries -- Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam will sign a Joint Declaration of the 4th GMS Summit.

The six leaders will also sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for joint action to reduce HIV vulnerability related to population movement, and another MoU on the Joint Cooperation in Further Accelerating the Construction of the Information Superhighway and its Application in the GMS, and on Articles of Association of the GMS Freight Transporters Association. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-17

"Ms Yingluck said Ms Suu Kyi has fought for democracy in Myanmar and Thai people also wanted to see the continued development of democracy in Thailand".

The ultimate insult to Ms Suu Kyi to mention these two people in the same sentence. Suu Kyi is fighting to free Burma of the same circumstances the Shinawarta clan is trying to enslave the Thai people with. Absolutely pathetic.

Amidst all the frothing outrage that Yingluck Shinawatra, as the Prime Minister of an elected government of Thailand is going to Burma and meeting Aung San Suu Kyi, I am surprised that no concern is expressed that the leaders of two of the other three South East Asian States attending (Thongsung Tharmaong -Laos, and Nguyen Tan Dung- Vietnam) both representing one party states, may well also meet Aung San Suu Kyi.

Once again, I wonder whether the real reason for these outraged democratic sensibilities, which don't seem to be shared by Aung San Suu Kyi, are due to the fact that the "wrong party" won the election in Thailand earlier this year? :rolleyes:

Edited by JAG

Amidst all the frothing outrage that Yingluck Shinawatra, as the Prime Minister of an elected government of Thailand is going to Burma and meeting Aung San Suu Kyi, I am surprised that no concern is expressed that the leaders of two of the other three South East Asian States attending (Thongsung Tharmaong -Laos, and Nguyen Tan Dung- Vietnam) both representing one party states, may well also meet Aung San Suu Kyi.

Once again, I wonder whether the real reason for these outraged democratic sensibilities, which don't seem to be shared by Aung San Suu Kyi, are due to the fact that the "wrong party" won the election in Thailand earlier this year? :rolleyes:

Bingo !

Both for the 1 party country comment and the replace-Yingluck-with-Mark and wouldn't the comments be different comment... B)

For all of the preference expressed for a military gov't over this elected gov't in another thread, one wonders why these expats didn't chose to retire/emmigrate/set up shop next door in a ready-to-order military dictatorship with a 50 track record... ???

Probably, mon ami, because in either of the other two countries, any criticism of the government would be shut down "toute suite"!

Strangely, despite the evil red empire, it seems to be permitted in Thailand!

You may correct my terrible english french if you wish. :D

Edited by JAG

"Ms Yingluck said Ms Suu Kyi has fought for democracy in Myanmar and Thai people also wanted to see the continued development of democracy in Thailand".

The ultimate insult to Ms Suu Kyi to mention these two people in the same sentence. Suu Kyi is fighting to free Burma of the same circumstances the Shinawarta clan is trying to enslave the Thai people with. Absolutely pathetic.

So you say.However it appears Suu Kyi thinks differently since she openly welcomed Yingluck's victory earlier this year, given its unquestioned democratic mandate.(I doubt whether she has much time for Thaksin who was never helpful in line with Thailand's ruling class generally.)But Suu Kyi also has reason to dislike a corrupt and politicised military though as a well mannered and highly educated woman, she does not rant.

Forgive me but I prefer to accept Suu Kyi's position.

Yingluck, Suu Kyi to meet in Rangoon

The Nation on Sunday

30172108-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with Burma's pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi in Rangoon on Tuesday following the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) Summit.

Yingluck will exchange views on political and other issues with the Burmese democracy icon at around 5.30pm on Tuesday, according to a Government House source.

Suu Kyi recently met US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who was the first senior US official to visit Burma in many decades as the country opens up to the rest of world.

According to Government House, Yingluck will join other regional leaders at the GMS Summit on Tuesday in Naypyidaw, Burma's new capital.

The GMS groups Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and China.

Yingluck said the GMS Summit would focus on cross-border co-operation in the energy sector.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-18

So you say.However it appears Suu Kyi thinks differently since she openly welcomed Yingluck's victory earlier this year, given its unquestioned democratic mandate.(I doubt whether she has much time for Thaksin who was never helpful in line with Thailand's ruling class generally.)But Suu Kyi also has reason to dislike a corrupt and politicised military though as a well mannered and highly educated woman, she does not rant.

Forgive me but I prefer to accept Suu Kyi's position.

So you say, but I can't help but thinking that PT would prefer a move towards 'Thai democracy with Burmese characteristics' if they had the chance. They just have to be able to pull the strings.

If the PM of Thailand cares to listen , she might , i say might, learn something.:)

I can't even imagine what they might talk about. The Thai PM will not learn much because she has no idea of the concept.

You are right, the big puppet, leads the mad hatters tea party, strings pull from afar, seriously , unless you have a good grounding in politics, you don't go there, bit like Chelsea Clinton being appointed President of USA.

So you say, but I can't help but thinking that PT would prefer a move towards 'Thai democracy with Burmese characteristics' if they had the chance. They just have to be able to pull the strings.

Doesn't really make any sense at all.

The Democrats are the Thai military's political party of choice.The Democrat splinter group PAD argued against the concept of a free democracy in which every person had equal value.The elite, mostly Democrat supporters,probably does in its heart believe in "Thai democracy with Burmese characteristics" and is of course implacably opposed to the PTP.

There are plenty of reasons for opposing the PTP but your line doesn't stack up.I don't incidentally think the Democrat leadership - Abhidsit,Korn even Suthep, want any such thing either.Still any old piece of nonsense will do for the Salims if it serves its purpose.

Probably, mon ami, because in either of the other two countries, any criticism of the government would be shut down "toute suite"!

Strangely, despite the evil red empire, it seems to be permitted in Thailand!

You may correct my terrible english french if you wish. :D

Well they did try to put a leash on the newspapers and fortunately it failed. Or do you think having the party boss' BIL as arbiter of news correctness was a democratic move?

I would suggest that Yingluk is using the meeting as an attention diverter from her real intent - learning the ropes of a one party state - but it would be silly. Puppets don't learn and her brother is fully informed on the matter.

Generally Speaking. Thai/Burmese relations have been conducted by the armed forces.

I would imagine Yingluck will turn up in Burberry boots with a Gucci bag and promote Asia's newest hub of shopping to ASSK in her normal vaccuous way.

I can't see her really having an opinion on the drug trafficking over the border, the plight of the Karen or Rohingya or whether, if elected, she might perchance turn off the lights in Thailand.

If the PM of Thailand cares to listen , she might , i say might, learn something.:)

I can't even imagine what they might talk about. The Thai PM will not learn much because she has no idea of the concept.

You are right, the big puppet, leads the mad hatters tea party, strings pull from afar, seriously , unless you have a good grounding in politics, you don't go there, bit like Chelsea Clinton being appointed President of USA.

or George W. Bush, which actually did happen...

?

The Democrats are the Thai military's political party of choice.The Democrat splinter group PAD argued against the concept of a free democracy in which every person had equal value.The elite, mostly Democrat supporters,probably does in its heart believe in "Thai democracy with Burmese characteristics" and is of course implacably opposed to the PTP.

There are plenty of reasons for opposing the PTP but your line doesn't stack up.I don't incidentally think the Democrat leadership - Abhidsit,Korn even Suthep, want any such thing either.Still any old piece of nonsense will do for the Salims if it serves its purpose.

Certainly don't disagree with you regarding PAD, though they so splintered these days they don't even consider Kasit one of them....as such I'm also struggling these days to necessarily equate PAD with the Dems. Others will continue to do so, I'm sure.

In terms of my words, light hearted to be sure, my main thought is that PTP wouldn't mind a rubber stamp parliament. Whether that is from a military overlord or a strong PT executive committee makes little difference to me. Perhaps I should have said "Thai democracy with Singaporean characteristics", but then even that would require a certain respect for institutions and the independence of them which I don't feel PT have, and at least the Dems presend to respect. Which is a start.

PAD are anti-Thaksin and the corruption that he represents and hardly a Democrat splinter group. In fact, the Vote NO campaign most likely had a quite harmful effect. Their voicing of the problems with one man one vote is recognition of one of the major weaknesses of democracy, which depends on an informed and rational populace. It is hardly surprising that they should feel that way when a large section of the voters are prepared to ignore blatant corruption for their personal short term gain even if it damages the nation.

Is it so wrong for the educated "elite" to oppose corruption, vote-buying, violent intimidation, propaganda, nepotism, cronyism, economically unsustainable populist policies, conflicts of interest, and a party dedicated to reinstatement of a blatantly corrupt criminal? If the Democrats are anti-democratic, why did they set up policies to improve the education standards of the poor, and why have they all been negated by PTP?

Comparison of the Myanmar and Thai military is invalid, at least at the moment. Myanmar generals have seized power for their own gain - in Thailand the military are dedicated to a constitutional monarchy, are prepared to take drastic measures to maintain it, and returned the country to democracy quickly with an anti-corruption constitution.

Certainly don't disagree with you regarding PAD, though they so splintered these days they don't even consider Kasit one of them....as such I'm also struggling these days to necessarily equate PAD with the Dems. Others will continue to do so, I'm sure.

In terms of my words, light hearted to be sure, my main thought is that PTP wouldn't mind a rubber stamp parliament. Whether that is from a military overlord or a strong PT executive committee makes little difference to me. Perhaps I should have said "Thai democracy with Singaporean characteristics", but then even that would require a certain respect for institutions and the independence of them which I don't feel PT have, and at least the Dems presend to respect. Which is a start.

Actually if you meant "Thai democracy with Singaporean characteristics" I think you would be right on the money.That was always one of Thaksin's early aims and one of the reasons I felt uncomfortable with him from the start.

As to respect for institutions, by which I take it you primarily mean the courts, I think (excuse the expression) the jury is out.Haven't all parties seen the judicial system as a way of rubber stamping political objectives?

PAD are anti-Thaksin and the corruption that he represents and hardly a Democrat splinter group. In fact, the Vote NO campaign most likely had a quite harmful effect. Their voicing of the problems with one man one vote is recognition of one of the major weaknesses of democracy, which depends on an informed and rational populace. It is hardly surprising that they should feel that way when a large section of the voters are prepared to ignore blatant corruption for their personal short term gain even if it damages the nation.

Is it so wrong for the educated "elite" to oppose corruption, vote-buying, violent intimidation, propaganda, nepotism, cronyism, economically unsustainable populist policies, conflicts of interest, and a party dedicated to reinstatement of a blatantly corrupt criminal? If the Democrats are anti-democratic, why did they set up policies to improve the education standards of the poor, and why have they all been negated by PTP?

Comparison of the Myanmar and Thai military is invalid, at least at the moment. Myanmar generals have seized power for their own gain - in Thailand the military are dedicated to a constitutional monarchy, are prepared to take drastic measures to maintain it, and returned the country to democracy quickly with an anti-corruption constitution.

No comment needed since you have just articulated the main elements of the PAD platform - dishonest (as though the elite is not up to its armpits in corruption), hypocritical, reactionary,militaristic, anti democratic and in most Thais' view electorally toxic.

No comment needed since you have just articulated the main elements of the PAD platform - dishonest (as though the elite is not up to its armpits in corruption), hypocritical, reactionary,militaristic, anti democratic and in most Thais' view electorally toxic.

You don't have to be elite to be anti-Thaksin - educated is sufficient. Do you deny that the Democrats installed good educational policies, all deleted by PTP?

Is there any comparison between Mandela and Thaksin?

Is there any comparison between The Lady & Yingluck?

Simple answer there folks. NO! Not even in the same league.

Yes, Suu Kyi has something Yinluck does not possess....... something called DIGNITY...!

Is there any comparison between Mandela and Thaksin?

Is there any comparison between The Lady & Yingluck?

Simple answer there folks. NO! Not even in the same league.

Any chance of Aung San Suu Kyi teaching Yingluck some respect for the people she is supposed to represent.