Sukhumvit To Ramkhamhang?

BillJohnson

Hi All,

I got a job offer to work out of the end Rakhamhang rd, almost with the intersection of Rom Klao. I'would like to live in the city, preferably close to one of the BTS stations, but I'm not familiar with the commute details (taxi). My working hours would be 7am to 3pm, which I presume makes traffic very smooth. What would be the best area to be? On Nut, Ekkamai? Or can I get there via the highway thus picking a place near a highway entrace is the priority? Any "falang" neighborhoods in Rakhamhang or Hua Mark area?

Thank you

Not a journey I would choose to make twice a day from any of the locations you mention, the traffic can be horrendous.

There are a fair few farangs living out that way, mostly teachers, usually living in the moobaans found on Ram 164 area, I think its called Perfect Place.

Houses can rent from 25k per month and upwards, mostly in the 40k per month range, although if you go local you will find much cheaper.

Live as close to your workplace as possible, is my advice, and don't be afraid of "Thai neighbourhoods". They can actually be pretty nice. I have never really understood why "farangs" want to live in Thailand, but shy away from mingling with the locals (unless they're of the 'lady of the night' kind) and instead are so keen on pitching up their tents in "farang ghettos".

I, for example, have rented a lovely bunglaow (fully furnished) for 17,000 Baht a month near Assumption University. Not one "farang" in sight in my neighbourhood. Instead my neighbours are a very friendly customs officer, a lawyer, a company salesman and his family, a cute-looking Thai Airways employee who speaks excellent English, etc.

I would never again move back to over-priced, over-rated Sukhumvit.

afew thoughts for this khun ajarn

1. Romklao is actually quite close to the ARL- last stop before Swampy airport with many direct shuttle vans and those tuktuk lookalike small thing, first train @6.00-should make it in time for you.

2. It IS way beyond the ''normal'' Ram, area=near the uni, grossly overcrowded, loads of very cheap rooms, and the last 3-4 yrs with many student farangs from germany-maybe that does not count as ''to mingle with'' to elitist UKers or OZzies?

3. BTS is hardly of any use for you-anyway, people like it becse they have to get away from the palces they choose to stay in. You MAY consider a shuttle/direct route to Phetburi rd and then many direct AC bright yellow buses all the way to RomKlao (keha-you did not specify what area of Romklao) or those shiny white metrobuses.

4. close to RK is Minburi, best known as Muslimburi. Along the main rd=Lard krabang are now many new moo-ban with condo etc for hire/but DO take care when choosing-as some are very prone to Swampys approach

afew thoughts for this khun ajarn

1. Romklao is actually quite close to the ARL- last stop before Swampy airport with many direct shuttle vans and those tuktuk lookalike small thing, first train @6.00-should make it in time for you.

2. It IS way beyond the ''normal'' Ram, area=near the uni, grossly overcrowded, loads of very cheap rooms, and the last 3-4 yrs with many student farangs from germany-maybe that does not count as ''to mingle with'' to elitist UKers or OZzies?

3. BTS is hardly of any use for you-anyway, people like it becse they have to get away from the palces they choose to stay in. You MAY consider a shuttle/direct route to Phetburi rd and then many direct AC bright yellow buses all the way to RomKlao (keha-you did not specify what area of Romklao) or those shiny white metrobuses.

4. close to RK is Minburi, best known as Muslimburi. Along the main rd=Lard krabang are now many new moo-ban with condo etc for hire/but DO take care when choosing-as some are very prone to Swampys approach

Thanks for the ideas everyone, highly appreciated!

I really like the idea of using the ARL to Lat Krabang from Phaya Thai, as the later is a great area around BTS, and the ARL is a reliable option. I'm now thinking about the taxi ride to the corner of Ramkhamheang and Romklao, but I guess 15-20min should be enough. Feel free to comment on everything else

Thanks,