Caution About Atm Scam Artist Working In Kata/Karon Area

LivinginKata

Just a question, but can we post the bank's in suspicion so we have a running forum warning TV guest and others?

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect App

You should view every ATM you use as suspicious.

Firstly, make a good inpection if the ATM before using it. Check the card slot for a skimmer and the frame of the ATM for an attached camera.

Also, have a look around the area to see if anyone is observing you.

Always cover the number pad when you are entering your PIN (they may have your card data but after 3 unsuccessful attempts to enter a partial PIN - you card is cancelled) After using the ATM, press every number on the keypad from 0 to 9. This will minimise the criminals using fingerprint dust to see fresh prints on 4 numbers and then trying a combination of PIN's.

An idea is to use the ATM's in large shopping centres that have a CCTV system. This offers a little more protection as the criminals do not want to be filmed.

As mentioned previously, just use an ATM card for small everyday withdrawals. This way, if your card is ever compromised, you will not lose a lot of money from your main account.

Some people now only go into the branch, but I find that inconvenient as there are ques and the branch is not open 24/7 and you have to preform larger cash withdrawals which have their own risks.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ When I enter my PIN I have gotten into the habit of making it appear that I press several different numbers, sometimes two at a time so it is impossible to tell what my PIN is even if looking at/recording it.

Some ATM's have sound attached to the PIN entry. In other words, press a number and there is a "beep." Technology is so good these days that many of the little "pin hole spy cameras" can also record sound. So, the criminals would be able to tell which number you are actually pressing because it corresponds with a sound. Best change that habit.

Also, I might add, the technology used for skimming is freely available for purchase to the general public. The criminal does not have to go to the black market to buy the equipment. Much of the equipment is used regularly in business. Many items can be bought online. The electronics involved are relatively cheap to buy and easy to use. You do not need to be a computer programmer to be able to use them. This is why this crime is so wide spread.

Edited by NamKangMan

^ When I enter my PIN I have gotten into the habit of making it appear that I press several different numbers, sometimes two at a time so it is impossible to tell what my PIN is even if looking at/recording it.

Some ATM's have sound attached to the PIN entry. In other words, press a number and there is a "beep." Technology is so good these days that the little "pin hole cameras" can also record sound. So, the criminals would be able to tell which number you are actually pressing because it corresponds with a sound. Best change that habit.

It is on those ATM's I make it appear I press two numbers at once.

• 6 months later...

After having done masses of research on this subject, I would respectively suggest you go to the following link, to increase your chances that you will not end up as another victim:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649648-a-safer-way-to-use-an-atm-in-thailand/

I read your post on that thread, yet I have no clue as what you are talking about. I have two B 1st cards and neither has a chip, only a magnetic strip as they are VISA Debit cards as well. The ones with the chip, which is called the B 1st Smart Card, can't be used at any ATM other than a BKK Bank ATM or as a Debit Card. So, they aren't really much good. The best work around that I've used for years is to have two accounts and only carry an ATM card with a low balance. When I need money I transfer online to the account I use for ATMs. It's been fool proof for seven years now.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

After having done masses of research on this subject, I would respectively suggest you go to the following link, to increase your chances that you will not end up as another victim:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649648-a-safer-way-to-use-an-atm-in-thailand/

I read your post on that thread, yet I have no clue as what you are talking about. I have two B 1st cards and neither has a chip, only a magnetic strip as they are VISA Debit cards as well. The ones with the chip, which is called the B 1st Smart Card, can't be used at any ATM other than a BKK Bank ATM or as a Debit Card. So, they aren't really much good. The best work around that I've used for years is to have two accounts and only carry an ATM card with a low balance. When I need money I transfer online to the account I use for ATMs. It's been fool proof for seven years now.

That's what I do, but it's not fool proof, it will just minimise your loss if you are skimmed.

That's what I do, but it's not fool proof, it will just minimise your loss if you are skimmed.

I haven't been scammed yet. The most they would get would be a bit over a 1,000 Baht. So yes minimal loss.

• Like 1

Some ATM's have sound attached to the PIN entry. In other words, press a number and there is a "beep." Technology is so good these days that many of the little "pin hole spy cameras" can also record sound. So, the criminals would be able to tell which number you are actually pressing because it corresponds with a sound. Best change that habit.

Mobile phones and other devices might have different beep sounds that correspond with different numbers on the key pad but not so ATM machines. Listen next time you use one. Same beep for all numbers.

Mobile phones and other devices might have different beep sounds that correspond with different numbers on the key pad but not so ATM machines. Listen next time you use one. Same beep for all numbers.

The member said he appears to press several numbers on the key pad, for the skimmer's camera, so the skimmer doesn't know which key pad entry was "real" and part of his PIN, or which entry was "staged" for the camera. Eg. put your finger on the number, but don't press it.

I suggested that many pin hole cameras, the cameara of choice for skimmers, are quite advanced now and can also record sound. So, the skimmer sees your finger on the number and it corresponds with the ATM's "beep" so he knows which entry is real, and which entry is staged.

Does that explain it better?

Edited by NamKangMan

I haven't been scammed yet. The most they would get would be a bit over a 1,000 Baht. So yes minimal loss.

I raised this specific point in my OP, for some the inconvenience factor of having to find a Bangkok Bank ATM maybe too much.

Then for those occasions use the old 50 year insecure magnetic strip option.

A minimal loss of 1,000 Baht, I take that as the amount you leave in your account.

But whatever you are transferring into it, prior to withdrawing it, could be substantially more.

Transferring funds from one account into another, or simple going to a Bangkok Bank ATM, I really don't know what is more inconvenient.

It all boils down to is it worth the risk, do I want to throw the dice.

Sure you may argue, as so many do, that the odds are in your favour.

All I'm saying is if it's your account that's skimmed, whatever is in it you can safely write it off.

To date nobody has reported a theft specifically from a smart card chip Bangkok Bank ATM.

@ up2you2

It's really quite simple.

You have two accounts with the same bank.

One account has the bulk of your money, but does not have an ATM card attached to the account, just a bankbook.

The other account has a small amount of money, just enough for daily living expenses. Eg. 1010 baht. This account does have an ATM card attached to it. It doesn't matter if it's "chip and PIN" or a "magnetic strip" card.

Both accounts are set up for internet banking, preferably with a "One Time Password" (OTP) sent to your mobile phone for each online transaction.

You use your ATM card as normal, whilst still remaining vigilant everytime at the ATM. If you get skimmed - they get only what's left of your 1010 baht in your account, maybe 500 baht, or less, and if you purposely withdraw 1000 baht, to, in effect, empty this account, the skimmer can not get anything, because you can not withdraw 10 baht from an ATM. If you do leave a small amount of money in this account, the loss of this amount will not cause you any financial hardship. That's the whole idea.

I you don't get skimmed, prior to using your card next time, you add money to this account, via internet banking, and use the ATM once again. The internet bank transaction takes about 2 minutes and the cash deposit to your ATM card account is available immediately. This transfer is for free.

This method will not stop you from being skimmed, but will minimise your loss, and, it works.

I can not explain it any more simpler than this.