New Bar Closing Times In Thailand

edd

i applaud thaksin shinawatra for his common sense.

as has been said in this forum many times -

all they need to do is to make sure the security guards on the doors do their job properly and make sure all youngsters have to show their id cards to prove they are of the right age to gain legal entry.

fatty

:o With so many international models to work with it is hard to beleive that the Thai government would consider such a blanket.

A model that works well in Australia, and is a good source of revenue for the governement is that of varying licencing requirments for venues of differing types. Obviously the more flexible the license in terms of trading hours and operations (girls or no girls, bands or no bands etc) means the higher the licencing and taxes imposed on such venues. Police also play a greater role to ensure that venues enforce under-age restrictions by imposing heavy (a I mean heavy) fines for allowing under age persons to enter or drink in the venue. These licence restrictions also take into account the venue location and whether or not bands or karaoke will unduly disturb local residents.

All in all this appears to work very well and similar models are used in the UK, US and Europe. It may also allow the govt to apply some standards as to the quality of the venues as well (well maybe not).

hip-hip...hooray..? Now i just wonder what the new proposal will be like...

I just pray that the drafting isn't left to the person who is in charge of deciding what embassies and consulates abroad are allowed to issue what type of visas and when, because then some entertainment venues will exist but never be open, some restaurants will be forced to hand out free sex, drinks and drugs, and some bars will sometimes provide you with a complementary pink turtle for every two drinks you buy for a barrister, but only if said barrister is from County of Cork, and you dress politely and also can claim maternal bonds to a small village in Burkina Faso.

Don't yell "hey" before jumping the creek, as the Swedes say. To them, it makes sense.

:o

Thank God for PM Thaksin Shinawatra stepping in and bringing some sanity into this decision. I do not know any Thai people or farangs who support closing the bars at 12:00am. On the contrary, the people I know what the bars to remain open longer or designate entertainment areas where patrons can visit for extended hours.

A more restrictive decision would definitely effect tourism adversly and create an afterhours situation that would be counterproductive to economic growth.

Someone should do something about Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piemsombun before he ruins Thailands tourist business.

don't matter, if i can't stay after midnight, im going underground simple as that, and believe me there are plenty out there, when an offical run out of idea they come up with moronic idea to make it look like they are doing something useful, oldest trick in the book

oh by the way, 5yr. Stanford/ political degree, cheer :o

I'd just like to point put that here is an educated individual who I think we can assume is a productive member of society AND would still like to stay out past 12. It is possible.

This will be the only time I ever congratulate Thaksin for making a good decision in seeing that a blanket closing time of 12 is insane. Purachai, you are insane. That's been clear since I saw you a couple years ago on the evening news walking into the bedrooms of 17 and 18 year olds who lived with members of the opposite sex, complete with news reporters and your entire entourage. The very idea of a blanket closing time simply demonstrates the complete lack of intelligence and creativy possesed by this man.

I guarantee you that if everything closes at 12, I will tell all my friends to meet me in neighbouring countries on their holidays. I'm just one man, but I believe millions would follow suit.

No big deal. Start earlier.

So what, less fat a** Europeans sunning their hangovers by the pool, and out doing something for a change? :o

Some people work. Some people drive home from work. Some people like to eat dinner. Some people like to stay up past 12. 2am is reasonable in my mind. Any earlier will kill the tourism industry and put a million thais out of work (according to The Nation). If its all about the children, then get tough on checking ID's and fining establishments that do not. Create entertainment zones as Singapore has done where adults are free to be adults.

The midnight closing - or better still, 11pm - finally gives us all the chance to prove why tourists visit Thailand. Do they come for the temples and what's left of the natural scenery? Or is it the proliferation of cheap, enthusiatic prostitutes and bars where you can party till dawn?

If it's the former, and the sex tourists really are a tiny minority, they can prepare to find more attractive holiday destinations as the writing is on the wall for the local "entertainment" industry. On the other hand, if tourism plummets in Thailand, but not regionally, it's time for the government and the self-righteous who have taken over the Bangkok Post and Nation to face facts. If they want to reform the country, those prostitutes need viable alternatives as careers.

My guess is that a 1am closing time will be imposed and the debate about zoning laws will last for ever.

Sorry if I missed something. But, wasn't it Thaksins original idea to close the bars at 10PM a few months back? Someting about him talking with a 14-year old girl and demanding reform. Now, he's playing the good guy in this? Politics, I'll never understand it.

NOTE:

Personally, I donot drink alcohol but its quite disappointing for the Thai government to set such a bad time for bars to open and close. I honestly think this decision will cause some economical problems in their tourist industry. Anyway, some may say; who cares this law effect the so called social drinkers, drunks and obnoxious tourist...I say, business will be damaged and less tourism will occur.

Than again, the government may have a plan, so lets see how things turn out within 6 months!!!

I can respect the sceptical view that the authorities may have a vested interest in proposing this radical change.

Is it all possible that maybe they are attempting to improve the image of Thailand as more than just a Bar, Nightclub, Sex holiday destination. Unfortunately the reputation the Country seems to have overseas. Perhaps long term a limit on the number of these outlets won't be a bad thing.

Thailand has so much more to offer the tourist and its' residents deserve better.

Can anyone remember when Ibiza was anything more than just a Club 18-30 holiday destination for drunken idiots. Probably not!

I hadn't realised that Khun Purchai, was behind the proposals. Trust him, he is the one responsible for the bars closing at 2am. God help us all if he ever runs for governor of Bangkok and succeeds. He seems help bent on stopping anyone from having fun.

Follow up:

PM casts doubt on early closing time

BANGKOK: With the prime minister questioning its rationale, the Cabinet yesterday put off a decision on a controversial Interior Ministry proposal to force all entertainment places to close at midnight.

At its weekly meeting, the Cabinet resolved that the proposal, submitted by Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont, should be referred for review to a working group headed by Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piumsombun.

Yesterday's Cabinet meeting was broadcast live on state-run Channel 11.

The proposal calls for night entertainment venues to be open only between 6pm and midnight. The current closing time is 2am.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said the proposal for early closure was good in principle, but that it needed to be studied further.

Under the proposal, the midnight closure would also apply to health and recreational venues such as saunas and spas, Internet cafes, video-game parlours, snooker halls and karaoke bars.

However, Thaksin told the Cabinet yesterday that he doubted whether the law would be an effective way of keeping young people away from drugs and other vices.

"Youths may feel that they are not allowed to go out as much as they like, and they may resort to going to apartments or dormitories, where there are no grown-ups looking after them," he said.

The premier also expressed concern that the law would hurt business at restaurants with live entertainment as well.

Thaksin instructed Purachai's working group to discuss the matter with the relevant agencies on February 6. The issue will then be re-submitted to the Cabinet for consideration. A new regulation is expected to become effective on March 1.

Earlier at the meeting, Pracha tried to woo other participants to support his proposal by producing the results of a public opinion survey that showed most of the respondents supported the midnight closing time.

He argued that an earlier closing time would be better for young people because many night entertainment places had failed to keep out minors.

Purachai, credited for his social order policy while serving as interior minister, said at yesterday's Cabinet meeting that the closing time was a factor "but the actual problem lies with the control on the age of visitors".

He said people under 18 should not be allowed to enter night entertainment venues.

Speaking to reporters after the Cabinet meeting, Pracha said he was not disappointed by the decision to postpone the issue. He added that he welcomed differing views.

Pracha also said he did not think he had "lost face" after the Cabinet postponed its decision on his proposal.

"I welcome additional suggestions or any changes [to the original proposal]. We have done our best," he said.

The deputy interior minister said that the postponement would not affect the new 2003 Entertainment Venue Act, which became effective on Monday, because the current closing time would remain in effect until a new regulation is imposed.

Somyos Suthangkura, president of the Entertainment Places Operators Association of Thailand, yesterday praised Thaksin for "his long vision".

"He [Thaksin] sees the issue from a wide perspective. He realises how big the impact will be of closing earlier. And His Excellency Pracha should listen to His Excellency Purachai's view that the problem doesn't lie with the closing time, but rather how to protect youths from drugs," he said.

--The Nation 2004-01-14

A few notes on that Nation article:

However, Thaksin told the Cabinet yesterday that he doubted whether the law would be an effective way of keeping young people away from drugs and other vices.

"Youths may feel that they are not allowed to go out as much as they like, and they may resort to going to apartments or dormitories, where there are no grown-ups looking after them," he said.

Purachai, credited for his social order policy while serving as interior minister, said at yesterday's Cabinet meeting that the closing time was a factor "but the actual problem lies with the control on the age of visitors".

I find it very unlikely that after this there would be any serious effort to change the opening hours anymore. The other ministers are just being nice to this Pracha guy now by giving out these comments like "opening hours are a factor but..." so that he wouldn't "loose his face" completely. What is likely to happen is that they'll enforce a stricter age check control to take place after March 1st. This probably means firmer penalties for those breaking the rules, etc.

The midnight closing - or better still, 11pm - finally gives us all the chance to prove why tourists visit Thailand. Do they come for the temples and what's left of the natural scenery? Or is it the proliferation of cheap, enthusiatic prostitutes and bars where you can party till dawn?

If it's the former, and the sex tourists really are a tiny minority, they can prepare to find more attractive holiday destinations as the writing is on the wall for the local "entertainment" industry. On the other hand, if tourism plummets in Thailand, but not regionally, it's time for the government and the self-righteous who have taken over the Bangkok Post and Nation to face facts. If they want to reform the country, those prostitutes need viable alternatives as careers.

My guess is that a 1am closing time will be imposed and the debate about zoning laws will last for ever.

I don't think its so black and white. I would venture to say that a very large majority of tourists here who are normal people (not here exclusively for drinking and prostitution) would like to have the option of staying out past 12 having a few drinks. Regular tourists do visit temples and waterfalls during the day before going out for some drinks at night.

I also think it is strange that Thaksin was calling for 10pm closing time and now he is suddenly the good guy for putting off the midnight proposal. Perhaps he'll come back with 1am, his original plan, and we'll all thank him for at least getting us that extra hour. Perhaps I gave him credit too soon.

Well for a few things.

One PM Toxin does have 23 year old son who would kill him if he could not go out past 12. http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/0,4...9343940,00.html

That little articles would show that he is a partier, and having a business in the entertainment industry. I can’t see him support stupid hours. Looking at him I would say he is a more of a party type person that the papers will ever report.

This article is for fun. Shows PM has the same family values as Bush.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_659940.html?menu=

It is also a political move to make him look better. If you can’t see it your blind as a bat.

Simple good cop bad cop. Bad cops say lets close the bars at 11, good cop said not so fast. Then they close at 1 and good cop looks like a hero.

Also as some as you have stated, zoning is the answer. Increased taxation, increased control, increased tourism. Comment sense right?

As the king said “He need to listen to the people.” I can only hope he does.

i say we have a vote replace Purachai Piemsombun, with chuwit, atleast chuwit know what he's talking about, somehow chuwit seem like to be a smarter man, i will vote for him as mayor when election come, who's with me

It seems to me that Khun Purchai, is determined in one way or another to destroy the entertainment industry. At worst it should be tolertated and at best closed down. I wonder if he has ever been drinking. Wasn't it Hugh Hefftner, who said that " a puritan is someone who gets, upset when he/she knows that someone else somewhere is having fun"

Chuwit would be a disastrous choice to replace Purachai. Let's not forget, he exposed the police who were taking bribes in order to divert attention from the destruction of the Sukhumvit Soi 10 complex. My ex had 3 units down there, and moved out just before the bulldozers did their work. He was not a good man to do business with.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it amazing how the moralists use the excuse of protecting children in order to control adults' behavior? The hypocrisy involved in the proposed early nightlife closing hours makes me sick. I will believe that they really care about protecting the children when places like Nana Plaza and the many beer bar areas in Bkk. and Pattaya keep out the pitiful children working late at night selling flowers, gum, etc. Last year, the first encounter any tourist had upon entering Nana was with the cute little 6-year-old flower girls, all dolled up in adult clothes, running up and clinging onto the tourist, trying to sell her wares. Pathetic! Talk about encouraging the pedophiles, and damaging the precious image of Thailand! I suppose that even if the opening hours are cut back, the children will continue to be forced to work where adults only should be.