Importing Cpap Machine Problem ?

czGLoRy

I was prescribed a CPAP machine + mask from a hospital in bangkok (piyavate) and ordered one from a reliable site, (cpap) but I got this message trying to track my order via UPS:

Bangkok, Thailand12/17/20111:24 P.M.An import license is missing and is required for clearance.

what can I do about this? I need the machine... doctor recommended it to me, a second one here in CM ram hospital recommended ordering online. Thoguths? Definitely need some help with this! Asked UPS already, but no response over 30 hours or so. Thanks very much

Mark

Edited by czGLoRy

Health equipment requires a licence and testing aproval. CPAP machines are available in Thailand and it will be much easier to buy one here. It will now cost a fortune in extra storage and it is doubtful you will get a licence. It may be better if you return it to where you bought it or abandon it.

This problem frequently occurs when courier services of any type of used and is less often faced when regular mail service used.

Your best recourse is to go directly to customs and talk to them, explaining the machine is for personal use. AFAIK you do not need an import license for something that is for personal use, although you may be required to get other types of clearance. I went through something akin to this with a portable spa/jacuzzi, had to get a clearance related to the fact that it was an electrical appliance, they then tried to insist it also needed an FDA clearance at which point I threw something of a fit since it was just an above ground device that holds water and was able to prevail. (With a CPAP machine though, need for an FDA clearance may be a bit harder to argue)

Anyhow as I said, go in person to customs. As soon as they see it is a private individual and understand the device is something for personal use it drops way down in level of interest for them and depending on the customs officer they may let it through.

You will need a reference number and to know exactly where customs is holding it. This information UPS will have. Contact them (preefrrably through a thai speaker) and tell them you will handle the clearance yourself and get the reference number and location of where it is.

Be prepared for a full day out at customs.

In future, can often avoid all this by having things shipped through regular air mail. Courier services in Thailand are geared towards busnesses and do not serve personal clients well especially foreign ones.

^thats pretty much the last thing I want to hear, especially since its being held in customs in Bangkok and I am in Chiang Mai with no plans of going there any time soon... wish stuff like this wasn't such a mess here. I am trying to get more info but UPS isn't helping at all..

Thanks for the help

• Like 1

Hi czglory,

this as a public reply to your PM sent to me. I'm afraid, Sheryl is right, you have to contact customs by yourself as the item has been sent by a courier service. We as a freight forwarder have no access to the courier channel a customs.

My take is, it will be VERY difficult to get this item released as any medical appliances require an import license and this must be issued before you can clear the cargo. The process is lengthy and I am not even sure if you can apply for it as a private person.

Try to call the customs office in charge and explain your situation. Sorry for not being able to come up with anything better than that!

best of luck!

raro

after being on the phone nonstop / mailing/faxing/emailing various people (UPS/Customs/hospitals/doctors) it looks like I might be able to get the mask, so long as my previous doctor is able to mail a hard copy of the "genuine" medicial certificate stating medical necessity. Will keep it posted

Bangkok, Thailand 12/23/2011 5:48 P.M. Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance. / Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit for delivery. 12/23/2011 5:47 P.M. Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance. 12/23/2011 1:30 P.M. Shipment pending release from clearance agency. Bangkok, Thailand 12/22/2011 4:59 P.M. An import license is missing and is required for clearance. Bangkok, Thailand 12/17/2011 1:24 P.M.

An import license is missing and is required for clearance.''

looks good to go! one time!

Kind of funny, they sent me this earlier/

Dear Sir,

Now the shpt is on the process. Let me clearify some details. It means you don't have any original hard copy of Medical Certificate from the doctor . Because seem you have only the copy same as you sent by post to me.

Is there any chance that I can get that original copy. At the meantime I will use the copy that you sent by mail to submit at FDA people first.

Pls.see the breakdown of cost for this shpt: ( estimate)

Import duty 2,482.00 Baht

Customs formality charges 1,284.00 Baht

Customs fee 400.00 Baht

Warehouse fee 674.10 Baht

Total 464,840.10 Baht.

hope that is not accurate!

Edited by czGLoRy

Pls.see the breakdown of cost for this shpt: ( estimate)

Import duty 2,482.00 Baht

Customs formality charges 1,284.00 Baht

Customs fee 400.00 Baht

Warehouse fee 674.10 Baht

Total 464,840.10 Baht.

hope that is not accurate!

The total is 4840.10 Baht. Looks like they slipped a finger on the keyboard.

• 1 year later...

I ran into the same problem here, I live in CM provience Doi tao. order a machine not expedting a problem, guess again. finally told dhl to send the machine back. The machine i order cost 30000 total with shipping, the same machine the supplyer wanted 65000. i had previously checked prices on line. The problem is that the same machine

is available for $700. in the USA. I think they have a racket going between the dr and there supplier which of course the Dr. recomended. I guess when i go back to the usa iwill take my sleep study with me and buy one there

I ran into the same problem here, I live in CM provience Doi tao. order a machine not expedting a problem, guess again. finally told dhl to send the machine back. The machine i order cost 30000 total with shipping, the same machine the supplyer wanted 65000. i had previously checked prices on line. The problem is that the same machine

is available for $700. in the USA. I think they have a racket going between the dr and there supplier which of course the Dr. recomended. I guess when i go back to the usa iwill take my sleep study with me and buy one there

Here in the US you will need a doctors prescription to buy a CPAP machine or mask (same for mail order).

THere was another thread on this with the same problem. The person was able to get a letter from a doctor saying he needed it then had to go to some office for the licence which took him a couple of hours and 200baht or so. Contact Customs and see what they need.