Mexican Food

FlyByNights

Always liked the beef tacos and quesadillas at the Bluefin in Kata; mainly because of the fresh salsa.

Me too, but I suppose it's not true Tex Mex. Have frequented this place since way back in Ray's day. And the prices used to be reasonable, but creeping up year on year. Plan to have a couple of tacos and a margarita in an hour or so.

Being a California native, I haven't found any Mexican food very good here. Los Amigos makes okay chicken enchiladas. I make my own salsa, tostadas, tacos and burritos. I've never seen any place here make chicken mole or real pork carnitas... I should try making my own tortillas, Danitas aren't very good, but they acceptable.

the poster does NOT want Tex mex.

Los amigos uses msg-ridden flavour packs in the "mexican rice".

Problem in Thailand is the unavailability of true Masa.

Rick and Roll's does a Mexican food night on Saturdays. Tacos. and Tacos. Best tacos though.

There is no true Mexican food here.

I agree with Misterman - the tacos at Rick n Rolls are great. A company called Ben's Deli runs the kitchen at Rick n Rolls. They are open every Monday to Saturday from 9:00am - until 6:00pm and Saturday evenings until 11:00pm.

Ben also delivers take away Mexcian food and delicious sandwiches at affordable prices to the Kata and Karon areas only.

the poster does NOT want Tex mex.

Los amigos uses msg-ridden flavour packs in the "mexican rice".

Problem in Thailand is the unavailability of true Masa.

Rick and Roll's does a Mexican food night on Saturdays. Tacos. and Tacos. Best tacos though.

There is no true Mexican food here.

Yes you are so right about the Masa. I am also looking some good mexican rice, which is really not so hard to make, and some real pinto beans. As long as they can get these two things right, making the main course with a little "Tex" will probably be ok.

So where exactly is this Rick and Roll's ? How about prices ?

1593409.jpg

Here is a nice receipe if your able to find some pinto beans!

Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups of dry pinto beans (about 1 lb or 450gm) 3 quarts of water 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional) 2 Tbsp pork lard, bacon fat, or olive oil (for vegetarian option) 1/4 cup water Salt to taste Cheddar cheese (optional) 1 Rinse the beans in water and remove any small stones, pieces of dirt, or bad beans. 2 Cook the beans in water. Pressure Cooker method Put beans into a 4 quart pressure cooker with a 15 lb weight. Fill up the pressure cooker with water, up to the line that indicates the capacity for the pot. Cook for 30-35 minutes - until the beans are soft and the skins are barely breaking open. Regular method Put beans into a pot and cover beans with at least 3 inches of water - about 3 quarts for 2 1/2 cups of dry beans. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer, covered, for about 2 1/2 hours. The cooking time will vary depending on the batch of beans you have. The beans are done when they are soft and the skin is just beginning to break open. Strain the beans from the cooking water. 3 Add the onions and lard/fat/oil to a wide, sturdy (not with a flimsy stick-free lining) frying pan on medium high heat. Cook onions until translucent. (Note the onions are optional, you can skip them if you want.) Add the strained beans and about a 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash the beans in the pan, while you are cooking them, until they are a rough purée. Add more water if necessary to keep the fried beans from getting too dried out. Add salt to taste. Add a few slices of cheddar cheese, or some (1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese if you want. When beans are heated through (and optional cheese melted) the beans are ready to serve.

Your making me hungry. Nothing can replace a good taqueria.

That was not NICe of you posting a photo.

When I was back in the states I went on a special diet-- TAMALES EVERY DAY FOR 2 weeks Pure bliss!!! (have since lost my tamale weight thank you but I enjoyed ever calorie!).

Ricky is from LA and he owns a bar and he does the Taco nighthttp://www.rickyzen.com

Get on the biz Facebook page and get notififed of events.

Ring0 might have contact details for Ben's too .. the cooks.

Lots of Thai Visa members milling about too and Rick's and live music and a nice local vibe.

I think Villa market sells pinto beans and enchilada sauces and some nice salas and a jalapenos and sour cream. but NOT corn tortillas.. and white flour anything is just bad.. bad.. health wise.

no decent Mexican food is just something we have to live with. Makes going home more exciting..

Edited by MisterMan

That was not NICe of you posting a photo.

When I was back in the states I went on a special diet-- TAMALES EVERY DAY FOR 2 weeks Pure bliss!!! (have since lost my tamale weight thank you but I enjoyed ever calorie!).

Ricky is from LA and he owns a bar and he does the Taco nighthttp://www.rickyzen.com

Get on the biz Facebook page and get notififed of events.

Ring0 might have contact details for Ben's too .. the cooks.

Lots of Thai Visa members milling about too and Rick's and live music and a nice local vibe.

I think Villa market sells pinto beans and enchilada sauces and some nice salas and a jalapenos and sour cream. but NOT corn tortillas.. and white flour anything is just bad.. bad.. health wise.

no decent Mexican food is just something we have to live with. Makes going home more exciting..

I buy corn tortillas at Villa all the time. They're fine fried, but not good for soft tacos. They do have pinto beans. Better to make your own salsa fresca. I usually end up using Thai chilies, although they don't have the same flavor as fresh jalapeños . Don use to have fresh jalapeños when he was around, but those days are gone. That and some Tapatio hot sauce that I bring back every time I go to CA or when a friend comes over here, I have them bring me a bottle.

my fav was a hole in the wall place in Sunnyvale California, El Torito, amazing burritos and heavenly salsa. that's the only thing i miss about the USA

on a more local subject, Sala Mexicali isn't bad but very expensive.

Villa market often has packs of 5 or 6 avocados for 100 baht which are great for guacamole

I grow my own jalapenos too, very easy to grow in this climate

Once you start getting further from the border cities of Texas such as El Paso, Brownsville, Nuevo Laredo etc, the Mexican food really takes on a whole different taste. That is not to say California, New Mexico or and Arizona don't have some nice Mexican places.

You can imagine being half way around the world and trying to get some good authentic Mexican. Very difficult unless you know how to cook it yourself. . ;)

Your making me hungry. Nothing can replace a goodtaqueria.

my fav was a hole in the wall place in Sunnyvale California, El Torito, amazing burritos and heavenly salsa. that's the only thing i miss about the USA

on a more local subject, Sala Mexicali isn't bad but very expensive.

Villa market often has packs of 5 or 6 avocados for 100 baht which are great for guacamole

I grow my own jalapenos too, very easy to grow in this climate

The hole in the walls, are always the best. Forget the chain stores. There was (is) a taquaria 2 doors

down from where I worked for several years. It was in an area with a large Mexican influence, lots of migrant workers. Oh man, could they serve up a great taco or burrito.

I get the pickled jalapenos for tacos from Phuket Deli.

Always liked the beef tacos and quesadillas at the Bluefin in Kata; mainly because of the fresh salsa.

Location please...thanks

From the Kata Center three way standing at the police box looking straight ahead, take that road toward the PTT gas station and it's on your left about 40 meters up.

And to the poster who mentioned that Los Amigos Nai Harn Beach is not good (Misterman?), I had an excellent meal there about two weeks ago, so will politely disagree and recommend this restaurant.

Patong Deli - http://www.delisuper...t+%21&all_b_f=0

// reading that again. Soft corn tortillas ?? Is there such a thing, only heard of hard shell. Deli has the soft flour tortillas.

Yes there is such a thing a soft corn tortillas. They are fried in hot oil and then they become hard. They are then known as tostadas when cut into triangle like pieces before hand, or hard taco shells if they are bent upon frying.