Bringing Some Servers Into Thailand?

Darvil

I'm making my move back to Thailand in a few months and would like to bring some rackmount servers. A few 1Us and 2Us. They will be used rackmounts off ebay. I was talking to someone I know in BKK and he mentioned that the import official person is able to just guess the price (Doesn't matter even if you have proof of the price) and then hit you with 30 percent. I'm wondering how true that is and what are some of the issues I'll run into bringing these machines with me? I'm going to freight them over.

On another note, are there just empty rackmounts I can buy in BKK? That way I can just bring in the electronics seperately and just put them inside rackmount there. I don't see anything though.. not to mentioned the poor choice of server selections (How come I only see Dell products??). I prefer supermicro products.

Is it worth the trouble? You might be able to find cheap second-hand servers in Panthip or Zeer or whatever IT mall. It might cost you less than what you'd pay to bring them to Thailand and the import tax if applied to you. Unless these are really big boxes..

Empty rackmounts? not likely IMO. You'd have to find the exact model your mainboard and disks fit it, there's no standard.

I'd just bring the disks...

Hi Lannig, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find these type of servers in Thailand. IE 2 server nodes within a 1U unit etc. And used ones are extremely cheap if you buy them at the right time; for example ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/190605142827 ) Also I've never seen xeons for sale anywhere.

I've just been some conflicting stories about about import duty is implemented thats all. Shipping won't be too expensive if sent thru the ship. Just have to wait a while. Question is on bringing the servers in the country.

Empty rackmounts? not likely IMO. You'd have to find the exact model your mainboard and disks fit it, there's no standard.

Since he mentioned 1U I assume he is referring to standard 19" racks? Those can be bought as I have some I use at work to mount our network switches. You can look at Farnell (Elements) Thailand and can order but should be able to find them in Bangkok.

Hi Tywais,

I wasn't referring to those. I was talking about the actual servers that will be racked in an enclosure that you were linking. Thanks for that link. I'll probably get something from that in the future.

Since he mentioned 1U I assume he is referring to standard 19" racks? Those can be bought as I have some I use at work to mount our network switches. You can look at Farnell (Elements) Thailand and can order but should be able to find them in Bangkok.

Not at all. These will work.

Actually even regular desktops nowdays work the same way. I think all powersupplies these days should work without a hitch. I know this isn't the case like 10 years ago.

Won't you need to replace the power supplies for ones that are compatible with the current here?

Someone mentioned I might be able to do this if I can "prove" that I'm actually making a permanent move to Thailand (which I'll be doing) and bring them in as my belongings.

What kind of chances do I have for doing something like this? Do the odds improved if I bring the stuff in a container? (shared with others thru a service).

Someone mentioned I might be able to do this if I can "prove" that I'm actually making a permanent move to Thailand (which I'll be doing) and bring them in as my belongings.

What kind of chances do I have for doing something like this? Do the odds improved if I bring the stuff in a container? (shared with others thru a service).

And what kind of visa will you use for your " permanent move to Thailand " ?

Customs is going to assume that this is for a commercial venture and not merely "household goods"

And no, bringing the stuff in a container will not improve your chances to beating the import duty and VAT for the items, since even sharing a container (technically called consolidating) makes no difference since the way bill will be created for your "stuff" since no one else is going to want to share the cost of your electronics

I agree with some posters here, changing PSU:s etc. could change your mind. If the HW is not "brand spanking new", I recommend getting new ones from Bangkok. You will end up paying difference in costs to get the existing HW to Thailand. What about the warranties? do they work globally?

And what kind of visa will you use for your " permanent move to Thailand " ?

Customs is going to assume that this is for a commercial venture and not merely "household goods"

And no, bringing the stuff in a container will not improve your chances to beating the import duty and VAT for the items, since even sharing a container (technically called consolidating) makes no difference since the way bill will be created for your "stuff" since no one else is going to want to share the cost of your electronics

I figured as much. I will be getting a work permit to work in Thailand. I've talked about that here (). I was hoping I can convince them I might need it for my regular usage esp with my 4U multimedia server. Still trying to find a way to get the stuff in.

I agree with some posters here, changing PSU:s etc. could change your mind. If the HW is not "brand spanking new", I recommend getting new ones from Bangkok. You will end up paying difference in costs to get the existing HW to Thailand. What about the warranties? do they work globally?

The PSU should work ok as the servers support 110 - 230. That shouldn't be a problem. As for getting new ones, the problem is that I don't want to buy any from bangkok. First of all I only see Dells (and I don't like them) and I don't see any reasonable rackmounts on sale there (such as supermicro). One of the thought I had was if I could buy some nice rackmounts in bkk, I can bring the parts myself. Unfortunately it looks like there doesn't seem to be any good ones for sale there (at least I haven't found any). As for warranties, I build the machines myself so thats not something I really need. I usually have spare parts and manage the hardware myself. The great thing about the US is that I can get some really good deals off ebay and just salvage what I need for my projects. Unfortunately I might not find a way to bring my own rackmounts.

By the way, anyone here know where there might be some good rackmounts? I notice that what alot of hosting companies in Thailand uses are pretty much all dells. I didn't get a chance to look around when I was here a few weeks ago. I'm regretting this now.

By the way, anyone here know where there might be some good rackmounts? I notice that what alot of hosting companies in Thailand uses are pretty much all dells. I didn't get a chance to look around when I was here a few weeks ago. I'm regretting this now.

What about these guys? http://www.quickserv...n/quickserv.php

That was the first link that came out in a Google (Thailand) search.

The price doesn't look off the charts to me, but I might not be up to date.

Edited by Lannig