Proof Of Hotel Booking Necessary Upon Arrival At Airport?

Andreas84

I am flying from Europe soon, and entering Chiang Mai via Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on the 27th of December. I am arriving on a triple entry tourist visa. I believe I read, a while ago, on the Thai visas, residency and work permits forum, that when entering Thailand one must show proof of a booked hotel or guest house, if not, one could be asked to take a return flight out of the country. However they did not ask for such proof when I arrived in Phuket last summer, as I recall, and I think it sounds strange. Anyone entered Thailand/Chiang Mai airport recently on a tourist visa recently, who have some input on this? I would guess no such thing is needed, but good to ask, anyway.

"there is a booth in arrivals lounge which will fit you up with a hotel or apartment,if you so wish",

Not before you go through immigration, which is where they will ask....... if anywhere.

If you are arriving - you need to stay somewhere, so why not book a room online just for a night?

Edited by uptheos

I can't honestly say whether it's a requirement or not but if it is, it's largely ignored. I've NEVER been asked for proof. If you recall from your last visit, they do require you to put an address on the immigration arrival form so be ready to write down <i>something</i>... Chances of them wanting to verify it, slim enough to be negligible imho...

I can't honestly say whether it's a requirement or not but if it is, it's largely ignored. I've NEVER been asked for proof. If you recall from your last visit, they do require you to put an address on the immigration arrival form so be ready to write down <i>something</i>... Chances of them wanting to verify it, slim enough to be negligible imho...

Just write name of a hotel. YMCA will do..you can always change your mind....do not put anything too sleeazy there as you never know when the record will come back and hurt you. The Buckabang Guesthouse would not be a good choice.

I think it is very unlikely that you will be asked for proof of hotel booking - especially as you are arriving on a tourist visa and not a 30 day entry stamp. You can never say that any event won't happen: T.I.T. (This Is Thailand) where anything can happen! You may want to book something up however as hotel occupancy rates are high at the moment and if you want to get somewhere in a preferred location or within your preferred budget, it might be a good idea. TV have got a tie in with Agoda.com. why don't you try them?

On my first time in Thailand they asked me where I was staying. I told them I did not know yet.

They gave me a list of places to choose from I said that one and got my visa.

Now when my boy comes to visit he just says Top North in Chiang Mai.

Four times in for him no problem.

How would it even be possible to verify? I could have called ahead at Tri Gong Guest house (not on any booking website, but real nice) and reserved a room there. Are they going to call the guest house? Is anybody going to pick up? Is it proof if they say yes or no? If they say no, and you say yes, who's right? Maybe they misplaced your reservation? Are they going to send out a crack team of detectives to discover the truth?

Un-likely.

So no, I don't think it's necessary if and until it becomes official policy - which can never be ruled out given the quality of politicians here

"there is a booth in arrivals lounge which will fit you up with a hotel or apartment,if you so wish",

Not before you go through immigration, which is where they will ask....... if anywhere.

If you are arriving - you need to stay somewhere, so why not book a room online just for a night?

not wishing to be pentactict? or anything but why have a hotel booking place in a arrivals hall,if you have to have a hotel already booked.????

not wishing to be pentactict? or anything but why have a hotel booking place in a arrivals hall,if you have to have a hotel already booked.????

I think you mean pedantic... But to answer your question, TiT... Who knows what the rules du jour will be...

I think you mean pedantic... But to answer your question, TiT... Who knows what the rules du jour will be...

Not wishing to be pedatonic but the booth would be for Domestic too.....But as other posters say just put a Hotel address.

I'm sure the person whose quote has quotation marks, will appreciate your comment.