Richard Burns Is Dead

Guest endure

Former world champion Burns dies

Richard Burns, who won the world rally championship in 2001, has died at the age of 34 after a long illness, on the fourth anniversary of his title win.

Burns had not competed since he passed out at the wheel of his road car on the way to the Wales Rally GB in 2003.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent surgery in April.

Burns was championship runner-up in 1999 and 2000 before becoming the first Englishman to land the coveted world title 12 months later.

Burns' family paid tribute to him in a statement, saying: "From the outset Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour.

"Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004.

"For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline.

"Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active.

"At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received.

"However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma.

"The date of a memorial service will be announced shortly."

I had a ride as a passenger with Richard Burns once. I've never been so frightened in all my life

:o:D:D