Applications For Permanent Residency Open Until 30 Dec.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another scam that looks real... We know these Thai official announcements already. Nothing serious, lip-exercise, window dressing and false impression of hospitality. And for what in fact? To get all the official announcements from then on in Thai ONLY? I RATHER BELIEVE AHMAHINNEJAD THAT IRAN IS NOT MAKING THE NUCLEAR BOMB!rolleyes.gif

No Thanks, a few years ago I looked into this, you get a small red book, and you STILL have to report to immigration every year!

Stii beats the alternatives in terms of hassle, expense, and security if you are in Thailand for the long haul. Especially if you would like to be a citizen one day.

It may cost a tidy sum now, but I bet you it gets more expensive -- not cheaper -- as time goes on. I remember people bitching about the price before Thaksin's government increased it by 400%.

another scam that looks real... We know these Thai official announcements already. Nothing serious, lip-exercise, window dressing and false impression of hospitality. And for what in fact? To get all the official announcements from then on in Thai ONLY? I RATHER BELIEVE AHMAHINNEJAD THAT IRAN IS NOT MAKING THE NUCLEAR BOMB!rolleyes.gif

One can assume by the lack of maturity in your post that you're likely not qualified anyway.

I have been a Permanent Resident for 6 years now. You have to follow all the official procedures for documentation and then take a written test in Thai with simple questions like what are the colors of the flag etc and then an oral presentation by you in Thai which is videotaped describing your life and introduce your family etc. There is a point system, and in addition to the minimal filing requirements you get points for your financial status, sponsorship by political or well known people, work with charities or volunteer work, if you have a business, how many Thai staff you employ etc etc. They will only speak Thai with you at that section of Immigration, so if you can't read and speak Thai well don't even bother. The vast majority of the people are rejected, and it is a good soruce of income for them.

The usual negative comments from those that havnt the slightest idea....good luck to anyone that applies and congrats to those already granted.........I know a few that have and it isnt the Everest that most think it is, although apps since 2006 have been suspended

No Thanks, a few years ago I looked into this, you get a small red book, and you STILL have to report to immigration every year!

Incorrect---you need to renew your red book every 5 years at the Police District. You're only interaction with Immigration is if you want to leave the country and get a Re-Entry Visa

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

I guarantee you there will be hundreds and hundreds of people making the deadline. None of those will be people who waste time griping on web boards about something they'll never end up doing.

Cheers!

Nice. The Thais throw out a few scraps of residencies to foreigners while there are tens (hundreds??) of thousands of Thais around the world, resident in other countries.

Ironic isn't it? They are probably resident in the countries where some of those citizens try to reside in Thailand.

The Thais do NOT want foreigners in thier lovely land.

Nice. The Thais throw out a few scraps of residencies to foreigners while there are tens (hundreds??) of thousands of Thais around the world, resident in other countries.

Ironic isn't it? They are probably resident in the countries where some of those citizens try to reside in Thailand.

The Thais do NOT want foreigners in thier lovely land.

Did you not read any of the above?

Quotas are never filled, except by Indians or Chinese. That means that fewer people are applying than there is actual quota for.

Those who just whinge and do not apply (like you, right?) will never get. Those who are qualified and choose to act rather than just whinge, do.

And good on the Thai for making the application process just difficult enough to weed out the kind of whinging farang I do my best to stay away from.

Plenty of applications have piled up over the past 6+ years with very little being done. Nationalism(racism), greed, incompetence and frequent rotation of faces haven't helped. Besides, the MIC(minister in charge) isn't exactly the poster child for efficiency and due process......................

I have been a Permanent Resident for 6 years now. You have to follow all the official procedures for documentation and then take a written test in Thai with simple questions like what are the colors of the flag etc and then an oral presentation by you in Thai which is videotaped describing your life and introduce your family etc. There is a point system, and in addition to the minimal filing requirements you get points for your financial status, sponsorship by political or well known people, work with charities or volunteer work, if you have a business, how many Thai staff you employ etc etc. They will only speak Thai with you at that section of Immigration, so if you can't read and speak Thai well don't even bother. The vast majority of the people are rejected, and it is a good soruce of income for them.

Is the vast majority of applicants rejected in possession of Thai language skills?

It seems like a lot to pay and go through and pay additional re-entry fees when many can get a non O or retirement or ED visa.

Ten years of non O comes to about 60K baht in visa fees. From the perspective of someone having reading and writing skills it just does not seem worth it.

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

I guarantee you there will be hundreds and hundreds of people making the deadline. None of those will be people who waste time griping on web boards about something they'll never end up doing.

Well said and isn't it shocking how many posts there are in this thread asking for info on applying for P. R. when all they had to do was go to the index page and a link to a guide to application almost jumps out of the page. I think that the requirement for three years in employment at the time of application with tax receipts would possibly eliminate 95% of the whiners on TV without them even having to fill a form in:-)

Is the vast majority of applicants rejected in possession of Thai language skills?

It seems like a lot to pay and go through and pay additional re-entry fees when many can get a non O or retirement or ED visa.

Ten years of non O comes to about 60K baht in visa fees. From the perspective of someone having reading and writing skills it just does not seem worth it.

Perhaps not -- if you have no have no desire to become a citizen at some point down the road, and if you feel 100% secure that they won't make it more difficult for "B" or "O" or retirement or ED visa holders in the future.

Nearly impossible to get, interview conducted in both written & spoken Thai, proof of at-least 60,000 THB paid in tax, 250,000 THB fee, business holdings in I forget the amount, that's only what I remember. In 31 yrs only know of one farang to ever get one.

If anyone is thinking it's & easy way out 90 day report dates, & worth maybe $20,000.00 USD go for it.

Perhaps not -- if you have no have no desire to become a citizen at some point down the road, and if you feel 100% secure that they won't make it more difficult for "B" or "O" or retirement or ED visa holders in the future.

Not too bright to lose G7 citizenship by taking on thailand citizenship either.

Nearly impossible to get, interview conducted in both written & spoken Thai, proof of at-least 60,000 THB paid in tax, 250,000 THB fee, business holdings in I forget the amount, that's only what I remember. In 31 yrs only know of one farang to ever get one.

If anyone is thinking it's & easy way out 90 day report dates, & worth maybe $20,000.00 USD go for it.

"Nearly impossible"?

How wrong can you be? I know so so many PR's...dozens and dozens of them.

If you're qualified and speak anything resembling basic Thai, you will get it if you are patient enough.

One day someone is going to decide to clean out the backlog, then everyone in the queue will get it. If you're not in the queue because you think it's "nearly impossible" or that you'll be dead first -- obviously you're not going to get it.

I like your syle here here , so true .

Cheers.

Not too bright to lose G7 citizenship by taking on thailand citizenship either.

I didn't lose anything when I took on Thai citizenship -- I only gained. Most countries do not prohibit it.

I can hardly see the point in stressing over such piddling odds, with all the work required to satisfy whoever. I'm studying Thai anyway, so that's no big deal, but I'd rather juggle other visa options, treating 'border runs' as little holidays, which I enjoy anyway, and save a whole bunch of money. Besides, our status is as only as good as the government of the day. Nothing is permanent.

Incorrect---you need to renew your red book every 5 years at the Police District. You're only interaction with Immigration is if you want to leave the country and get a Re-Entry Visa

Absolutely correct.

A new photo is required at 5 yearly intervals and the fee for renewing for 5 years is 800bt.

And what are supposed to be the REAL advantages of having a residence permit in Thailand (compared to a 1 year extension)? I can see just a sure loss of more than 100,000 baht.....

No need for 90-day reporting.

Just appear in person at your local police station with a new photograph every five years (plus yearly re-entry from immigration if traveling abroad).

Use the Thai national lines at the airport.

Practically, it is the only real stepping stone to full nationality in most case (which comes with a host of other advantages).

No visa runs.

No need to keep a particular sum of money in your bank account for retirement visa.

No need to have a job or Thai spouse for B or O visas.

No need to worry about a possible crackdown on ED visas or multiple tourist visa holders.

If you're working, you don't have to leave the country if you lose your job.

Work permit approval is virtually automatic.

Your status can only be revoked by someone at Minister level, for doing something really obtuse or criminal.

It IS permanent, as long as you don't do something obtuse or criminal or stay out of the country for more than a year at a time.

Worth it or not? Up to you.