Chiang Mai Royal Flower Show

thaibeachlovers

Running till March, the flower show is a must see for flower lovers.

It closes at 9 pm, and the illuminated "imagination garden" is worth waiting till dark for.

There is a free bus service ( orange Bkk buses ) from the railway station and City Hall, however, I found it easier to take the yellow songtheaw on the Hang Dong route to the intersection past Makro ( 15 bht ) and a motocy taxi to the show ground ( 25 bht ).

Coming back, we used the songtheaw service from the showground to the city ( 25 bht ).[

You can google for more info.

Edited by sbk
fixed fonts

Parked at the City Hall as well. Decent transportation options.

The show itself though left me feeling disappointed. It was more like garden setup in styles of various countries but there were only local plants and flowers. After a while, it was looking pretty much the same everywhere I looked.

the evening light show is decent and definitely highligh of the day for me.

1 day pass is B200, Multiply entry pass is B800. basically, you cant finished the whole flora park in 1 day. smile.gif

I don't know what my wife paid, as she got the "special" price, but I know we wouldn't have gone if it was anywhere near 800 ( she muttered someting about 200 for normal price ).

There were some areas we missed, but 8 hours was enough for me.

I forgot to mention it, but there are a lot of very nice toilets all over the place, so it's OK for the bladder challenged folk.

I went to the first one and haven't considered the second. Mostly I remember the heat, which should not be a problem this time. There's surely a cultural divide; if I were Thai I'd have been thrilled at the tulips and a number of the international exhibits. As a foreigner, having attended other "world-class" flower exhibitions over the years in temperate climates I was surely expecting too much. No intention to offend here and I look forward to reviews from other experienced and interested gardeners about their experiences. I'm admittedly and profoundly conflicted: don't want to live where there is a dormant season and don't have a clue how to garden where there isn't one.

1 day pass is B200, Multiply entry pass is B800. basically, you cant finished the whole flora park in 1 day. smile.gif

I don't know what my wife paid, as she got the "special" price, but I know we wouldn't have gone if it was anywhere near 800 ( she muttered someting about 200 for normal price ).

I forgot to mention it, but there are a lot of very nice toilets all over the place, so it's OK for the bladder challenged folk.

Went the other day, there is no 'special' price, just a flat rate for everyone....3 packages and the multi entry.

1. Entry only for the day 200 baht.

2. Entry + hop on hop off shuttle in the venue + Big Wheel 300 baht.

3. Entry + hop on hop off shuttle in the venue + Big Wheel + cuddly toy 590 baht.

4. Multi Entry permit 800 baht.

In my opinion one day is easily enough, I went down there at 4pm and left at around 8pm. It is not that big. The light show at around 6.00pm drew a lot of crowds. Basically, floats and people decorated in lights.

Went the other day, there is no 'special' price, just a flat rate for everyone....3 packages and the multi entry.

3. Entry + hop on hop off shuttle in the venue + Big Wheel + cuddly toy 590 baht.

In my opinion one day is easily enough, I went down there at 4pm and left at around 8pm. It is not that big. The light show at around 6.00pm drew a lot of crowds. Basically, floats and people decorated in lights.

My wife got the tickets in advance. I just asked her, and she paid 100 baht per person.

My wife got the tickets in advance. I just asked her, and she paid 100 baht per person.

That WAS correct, if you bought about a month ago, the show has now started though!

I went to the first one and haven't considered the second. Mostly I remember the heat, which should not be a problem this time. There's surely a cultural divide; if I were Thai I'd have been thrilled at the tulips and a number of the international exhibits. As a foreigner, having attended other "world-class" flower exhibitions over the years in temperate climates I was surely expecting too much. No intention to offend here and I look forward to reviews from other experienced and interested gardeners about their experiences. I'm admittedly and profoundly conflicted: don't want to live where there is a dormant season and don't have a clue how to garden where there isn't one.

As someone who owned a horticulural business in the U.S. I think these comments are on-the-mark. This isn't the Philadelphia Flower show nor does it match anything in Toronoto or Chicago. Actually, the 2006 show reminded me more of the 1968 World's Fair in New York, where I was a young child marveling at exhibits from corporations and foreign countries. I would describe the 2006-7 show as "the Philly Flower show meets the N. Y, World Fair" to anyone who understands anything about those two events.

el jefe

re .. Does anyone know if there are free shuttle buses from the KSK or Nimmanhaemin area

wtk

re ... I see the shuttle buses, but don't know where they start from or their route

these two might help if you can understand them ?

dave2

post-42592-0-92976800-1325038008_thumb.j

post-42592-0-58855100-1325038032_thumb.j

post-42592-0-65734100-1325038068_thumb.j

OK, I'll take a stab at translating this. The photo on the left is simply a google shot of the overall site -- not much help in figuring out the transportation options, unless maybe you're driving.

The sign on the right really should be available in English -- it has some valuable info.

The top part says that there are free shuttle buses leaving every 10 minutes from #1 the government center (that must be the big one on the superhighway) and #2 the train station. The buses go to the show from 8 am to 7:30 pm and return from 9 am to 9 pm.

That's it for the free transport options.

The list at the bottom of the sign is for locations where you can gather to share a song thaew with others going to the show. They all appear to be in operation from 8:30 am to 9 pm. The column on the right lists the price. The first number is for a single passenger and the second number is the price to hire an entire songthaew to take your party. Presumably if you go alone, you'll have to wait for the driver to collect other passengers to cover the cost of the entire songthaew.

Doesn't say where to meet at the locations or the color of the song thaew. Many of the places are quite large and I don't know how you'd going about finding out where the flower show songthaews are gathering passengers.

Here is my translation of the locations:

#3 JJ market

#4 Tesco Lotus Kamthieng

#5 Mee Chok Plaza

#6 Macro (can't translate the second word about which Macro)

#7 Big C Extra (Carrefour)

#8 can't figure out

#9 Big C (can't figure out the name, but it must be the other Big C)

#10 Global House

#11 Kad Suan Kaew

#12 Central Airport Plaza

#13 Tesco Lotus Hang Dong

#14 Big C Hang Dong

#15 Macro Hang Dong

#16 the airport

#17 Warorot market

#18 Kad Farang

It would be nice to get a report from someone who has actually used one of these shared songthaews. Interestingly, the Zoo isn't mentioned (unless #8 is an official name for the zoo that I can't figure out.) Previously, you could get shared songthaews at the entrance to the zoo, right at Huey Kaew Rd.

I enjoyed it but was disappointed by having to park in a dirt carpark while the "VIP" sealed carpark was virtually empty. Surley the "VIP's" would just get dopped off at the door and step straight into a chauffered golf cart?

Also when I just wanted to leave, first you must walk through the entire length of trinket shops before being allowed to do so.

Edited by Bung

I see the shuttle buses, but don't know where they start from or their route.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Nancy, thanks for taking the time to translate for us. I'll check around KSK and see what I can find. we'll probably wind up paying for a ride in an ordinary songthiew to the flower show (there's 5 of us), but I should be able to figure out how to get back in the free shuttle bus/songthiew.

To answer my own question:

It's easy. Songthiews are in the same place as in 2006-7 -- in the dirt parking lot behind KSK, on the west side behind the Huay Kaew Residence. It's 25 baht per person and 150 baht for the whole songthiew. They run all day. There were several lined up waiting for passengers.

It's easy. Songthiews are in the same place as in 2006-7 -- in the dirt parking lot behind KSK, on the west side behind the Huay Kaew Residence. It's 25 baht per person and 150 baht for the whole songthiew. They run all day. There were several lined up waiting for passengers.

Thanks! Sometimes I take a shortcut while walking thru that area and wonder why the songthaews are parked there. Heard good things about the show at our holiday parties so I think I'll get a small group together to go out before the weather gets too hot.

Edited by NancyL

Thanks! Sometimes I take a shortcut while walking thru that area and wonder why the songthaews are parked there. Heard good things about the show at our holiday parties so I think I'll get a small group together to go out before the weather gets too hot.

We went the other night. Well worth the visit. Just a couple of follow-up notes:

The songthiew to get there was easy. Going home they wanted 10 passengers at 25 baht of 250 for the whole vehicle. Not a big deal for me. We split the fare 7 ways with other passengers.

Several of the exhibits close before sundown, including one of the ones we specifically wanted to see -- the Insect Pavillion. My 9 year old niece begged and they were nice enough to open it just for us. Only in Thailand.

So while I agree with others who said go in the late afternoon to avoid the worst of the heat, if there is something you must see, do that first.

Having read through the thread there is no mention about parking at the show itself.

Is this not allowed?

Thanks

There is none,it's reserved for exhibitors and VIP's and invariably empty.

Quite a few areas on the road in from the Canal road that have opened up for the 20 baht parking- but quite a walk to the venue.Drop off anybody old or infirm first.

Having read through the thread there is no mention about parking at the show itself.

Is this not allowed?

Thanks

Officially you are not allowed to park in the main showground car parks unless you have a VIP, a VVIP or a special pass. However; we went yesterday afternoon and I was intending to park for 50 Baht in one of the private 'garden' parks on the way up to the showground, of which there are many, but before I did that I decided to drive into the area of the main car parks just to see what the situation actually was. Hey Presto, the main showground car parks were open and no gate men controlling who was going in or out, so I just rolled in and parked with around 30 or so other vehicles, none of which I could see a pass displayed on. No problems and returned at 9pm to find car still there and not 'clamped' etc. Seems that Monday is a good day to go as no restricted parking and I would say there were no more than 300 people in the grounds until around 17.30 when a mass entry began to watch the Laser show and see the Illuminated floats at the end.

I bought my tickets at the bank before the show opened and I thought for 150 Baht for two people it was a decent enough show. A further 120 Baht each if you wish to ride the 'Big Wheel', which is worth it for the view although you are only up there for less than 5 minutes and I overheard a good few Thai's moaning about that.

Usual failures at Thai events, no toilet paper available and no soap in the containers, only some water closets working (wifey said 2 out of 10 in hers) and apparently the water goes off from time to time as well. Basically, the usual signs of poor management that we diehards are used to and therefore pre-prepare for.

By the way; if you wondered about The 'VVIP' one can only assume that the normal VIP treatment is just not good enough for some of the 'Elite' in this country, and I feel sure that by the next event there will be a 'VVVIP' pass available !

True, there are loads of parking areas - BUT not for us.

Only for buses and other authorised public conveyance including some returning songtaews. That's certainly the impression we received and which seemed to be the case.

If you can find a place to park your car within a kilometre of the entry to the showground you can consider yourself very lucky.

I would say that a songtaew is definitely the way to go and return ( unless you can use the free public bus). I have heard from users of the free bus service that because of the crowds you might be unlucky enough to stand for the fairly lengthy journey.

If you haven't been to the show before, it's very well worth the entry fee.

Get in early. We arrived there at 9.00 a.m to find hordes of groups waiting to enter.

Cheers.

Yes, I did find it a little disconcerting being funnneled through the commercial shopping area in order to exit the show - but there was quite interesting and reasonably priced merchandice. No hassles.

Cheers.