Thailand's Forests Belong To All Of Us, Not Just A Few

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thailand's forests belong to all of us, not just a few

The Nation

Encroachment upon national parks is a problem that can only be solved by a thorough and fair overhaul of the land distribution system

In spite of resistance from local residents, authorities should be encouraged in their efforts to enforce the law and demolish resorts set up by people who have illegally encroached upon the forest in the restricted Wang Nam Kheow preservation area.

On the night of December 19, some local residents attempted to block a road in Nakhon Ratchasima province to express their anger and opposition to National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department officials who demolished structures at two resorts earlier that evening. The protesting residents said the removal of the resorts would make them jobless.

Damrong Phidet, director-general of the Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, said that he had ordered his staff to demolish the two resorts at night to avoid confrontations with the local residents. He said that the department had no other choice. The court had ordered eight resorts and bungalow operations to be removed many months ago after these were found to be located in the protected area. But the resort developers refused to comply with the court order. Therefore, the department had to execute the forced demolition.

Our national parks and conservation areas should be preserved to ensure that the delicate balance between human activity and nature is maintained. The existence of the forest provides fresh air and filters out pollutants in the air. The waterways and trees in the forest provide living space for animals and a source of sustainable earnings - if the environment is not abused - for people in the area. Such natural areas belong to the nation as a whole, not to any private interest, no matter how powerful or influential they may be.

Of course, this kind of conflict is not unique to Wang Nam Kheow. There are many other protected areas nationwide that have become the source of disagreements between private interests and the authorities. Part of the problem is that, in some areas, local residents say that these areas were their ancestors' property. Some farmers say that they have farmed in deserted areas for years. Indeed, some communities were in existence long before the issuance of land-ownership titles.

The issue of land title deeds can help the government realise land reform proposals if land is distributed fairly. Some farmers have carried out rotational farming in deserted areas for years without any official land-ownership documents, only to see wealthy and powerful people take over that land after ownership documents have been issued. In addition, people in power in local communities - especially investors linked to politicians - regularly encroach upon preserved forest areas for business purposes. Some local residents feel that they have been unfairly treated while the big-time businessmen and politicians - often one and the same entity - are able to control land allocation, even though the natural ownership right to the land is unclear.

The government should implement clear land ownership policy to provide fairness to all. If farmers can take control of their farms with proper land-ownership titles, the problem of forest encroachments should be easier to solve. In addition, once land ownership documents are issued, the authorities can immediately take action against illegal encroachers without having to wait for a court order, which can take months or years to issue.

At the same time, those who are deemed to have illegally encroached upon national parks should be subject to the full penalty of the law. Those who are involved in illegal practices that lead to widespread encroachment must be brought to justice.

The Wang Nam Kheow case also reveals the duplicity in the system. Resort developers and farmers claim that they had obtained permission from the Tambon Administrative Organisation (TAM) to use the preserved area for commercial benefit, even though the TAM does not have the authority to issue land deeds. Indeed, the local authorities have been negligent to the point that a large area of Wang Nam Kheow has been encroached upon.

The authorities must take firm action against wrongdoers to set an example for the rest. Preserved forests belong to all of us, and we must not tolerate the illegal actions of a selfish few. If we let this continue, Thailand will eventually lose all of its remaining forests.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-24

"The authorities must take firm action against wrongdoers to set an example for the rest. Preserved forests belong to all of us, and we must not tolerate the illegal actions of a selfish few. If we let this continue, Thailand will eventually lose all of its remaining forests."

When will this happen? When Thai people will understand, that they can't eat money?

"The authorities must take firm action against wrongdoers to set an example for the rest. Preserved forests belong to all of us, and we must not tolerate the illegal actions of a selfish few. If we let this continue, Thailand will eventually lose all of its remaining forests."

When will this happen? When Thai people will understand, that they can't eat money?

But they can eat, drink and drive what the money can buy.

While people at the top od both sides of the political divide still encroach with impunity, there is still a huge Land reform issue to be addressed here. They're addressing it mostly for populist reasons, but to be fair Thakin's parties have been much better at moving this issue forward.

Abhisit actually shelved some big land reform policies. Presumably because some huge landholdings would have been grandfathered to "elites" (the other sides elites). They couldn't come up with a way to weed that group out so they shelved the whole thing. Thaksin will likely push it through and then in a few years you'll be hearing more about mega-projects he wants to do near Rayong. wink.png

It's not just the forests. Look at what's happenning to some beaches around Pattaya. On Wongamat, the beach fronting North Point (a Raimon Land development) has signs saying "Private Beach" and in case you missed the sign and sat there, you'll be told by the security guard to bugger off, albeit politely and with a smile. Along Soi 12 Naklua, various public access to the coves and secluded beaches were sealed off a few years ago. Subsequently, these public access ways were sold with the adjacent land, now these coves are private beach areas, with no public access. Examples are: The Sanctuary (shared beach with Modus and Garden Cliff but no public access) and the new Montien.

I am sure it's not just Pattaya.mad.gif

It's not just the forests. Look at what's happenning to some beaches around Pattaya. On Wongamat, the beach fronting North Point (a Raimon Land development) has signs saying "Private Beach" and in case you missed the sign and sat there, you'll be told by the security guard to bugger off, albeit politely and with a smile. Along Soi 12 Naklua, various public access to the coves and secluded beaches were sealed off a few years ago. Subsequently, these public access ways were sold with the adjacent land, now these coves are private beach areas, with no public access. Examples are: The Sanctuary (shared beach with Modus and Garden Cliff but no public access) and the new Montien.

I am sure it's not just Pattaya.mad.gif

Royal Cliff Hotel, Pattaya. same happened to my wife and I. I like this beach but was asked my room number. I got really angry with the guy and the wife jumped in also. told him to F##k off, and that the beach is public property. Thai people who were staying at the Royal Cliff told us we were right to tell him to sod off.

As normal in Thailand , the culprits are politicians and rich peoples... they will NEVER be punished... They just laugh and move to the next money-making scheme...

And what about the beaches? All beach strips are or should be PUBLIC or CROWN LAND. Yet here is what I personally observed in Pattaya during the 'Fireworks Festival' a week ago:

Vendors of chaiselongs were charging 30 bt per chair. So far - understandable, it's their business. 30 min before the fireworks the price went from 30 to 100 bt. So far - understandable, demand/supply issue. BUT

in their greed they started putting out more chairs as the water level subsided. To do so they chased away poor Thai families with women and kids who were sitting on their own mats on the sand. I was disgusted by their actions as much as by Thais obedience. This was something characteristic for TIT. Nowhere in the world this could be possible! I was itching to get out of my chair and sit on the sand, just to pick up a fight. My lady told me not to, unless I wanted to be knifed!

What a garnish to a beautiful display! angry.png Please, tell me, where am I wrong...

As normal in Thailand , the culprits are politicians and rich peoples... they will NEVER be punished... They just laugh and move to the next money-making scheme...

And what about the beaches? All beach strips are or should be PUBLIC or CROWN LAND. Yet here is what I personally observed in Pattaya during the 'Fireworks Festival' a week ago:

Vendors of chaiselongs were charging 30 bt per chair. So far - understandable, it's their business. 30 min before the fireworks the price went from 30 to 100 bt. So far - understandable, demand/supply issue. BUT

in their greed they started putting out more chairs as the water level subsided. To do so they chased away poor Thai families with women and kids who were sitting on their own mats on the sand. I was disgusted by their actions as much as by Thais obedience. This was something characteristic for TIT. Nowhere in the world this could be possible! I was itching to get out of my chair and sit on the sand, just to pick up a fight. My lady told me not to, unless I wanted to be knifed!

What a garnish to a beautiful display! angry.png Please, tell me, where am I wrong...

You are absolutely right but alone in this situation. Unless you are joined by other Farangs in your refusal to moved out of the patch of sand you are on. Still, the local BIBs can certainly give you a hard time if called by the chaise-lounge rental operators.

I have seen this same problem in many a Third World (I refer to the mentality and not the political alignment of the 60s) countries where the Law is considered to be a suggestion: from a red stop light to encroachment of public land and/or thoroughfare.

Thailand is a country of assemblers, copiers and followers. A superficially modern society with an archaic, parochial and feudal structure and mentality. Slavery was "formally abolished" in 1912 but, a different kind of indenture continued: a voluntary one. This new modality generated the phrase that describes today's maids or servants as khon chai. This country is yet to fully engaged in the 21 century. Thailand as a country and people have many qualities and admirable traits. When it comes to the Rule of Law is the weakest link of this society. Therefore, it matters not that a big company or rich and/or powerful individual wants to get away with disregarding the Law. A small food vendor, with the cart blocking the sidewalk and tables spread about making the public thoroughfare impassable, gets away with it by paying the cop assigned to the beat the usual daily bribe. Corruption permeates this society and as a result, disregard for the laws. From top to bottom.