Driving On A Uk Car Licence

koppite

I have no need to defend anything. IDP, legal one year or illegal, is a waste of money driving in TH. TH DL is needed for anyone claiming to be resident or stay here more than 90 days. Period.

........................as a part of the UN agreement to not need IDP, TH has changed their (our) DL to also contain english language and picture of vehicle holder of TH DL is approved for. So has most of the rest of the world. IDP sellers will continue to make business tho, as some will want it. I had my last IDP in 1986, at that time needed in the south of Europe.

Your argument regarding the need for an IDP makes sense as an IDP is only a translation of one's licence, with a photo added and now some reputable hire companies appear to be accepting foreign licences with the details specified in English. In late 2010 they stipulated an IDP was needed, so it seems something has indeed changed. As a Thai resident I can't use my home licence(s) to rent anymore, so I can't say whether they do as they say or not.

However, both the British and US embassies in Bangkok say that an IPD is required for Thailand, when driving for up to 90 days using licence from one's country of residence. This is also stated by Thai consulates outside Thailand.

This requirement is also stated by many who offer an IDP service, but as you rightly say they probably have a vested interest in maintaining their income. Especially those offering permits at extortionate prices.

There isn't anything specific out there, which clouds the issue and causes confusion. Personally, if I was a tourist, I would choose to side with the official government departments and comply with their advice. Others may not, but my choice negates any possible risk due to a misunderstanding.

At katabeachbum :-

I understand the changes to the Thai DL and no problems there.

For those using their Home DL, every advice I can find is that an IDP is required along with it and I'm talking about this forum (apart from yourself) other forums, Consulates, Expat Advisory sites and others who have no vested interest in selling IDPs. Neither do I think that the UK Post Office is in on any scam.

Also, meanwhile, the Police in Thailand and Cambodia continue to stop travellers on a daily basis and fine them for not having IDPs. I'm talking about official Police Station fines and not just roadside 'collections'.

For those with Thai DLs who wish to drive in other countries, Thailand also issues IDPs (Chonburi yesterday) to go alongside your Thai DL.

Whilst it will still do no good in arguing the point with Thai or Cambodian BiB, could you please give us a reference or link to where it says that IDPs are no longer required here.

I think a sticky should be made regarding the use of and obtaining Thai/foreign licenses.

There's plenty of posts / threads recently that could be used to help others.

I agree, but it needs to be based on accurate information with references and links, rather than conjecture, hearsay and opinion.

• Like 1

I think a sticky should be made regarding the use of and obtaining Thai/foreign licenses.

There's plenty of posts / threads recently that could be used to help others.

I agree, but it needs to be based on accurate information with references and links, rather than conjecture, hearsay and opinion.

I revieved some documents from the Highway Police which I am still working on translating, plus I am waiting for a couple more conformations/quotes/translations from other police sources. After I'm done I will make a new thread on the topic of IDP's. Thus far 100% of the replies from several major insurance companies and car rental companies have confirmed you do not need an IDP to rent or have insurance claims honored in Thailand if you are still a tourist. In fact it says that right on the Avis, Budget and other car rental websites that all you need is a drivers license. They don't even mention anything about being a tourist or not, but we know legally you have to have a Thai DL to drive if you are a resident (ie have any other visa than a tourist visa or courtesy visa, which is commonly refereed to as a visa exempt stamp).

The oft-quoted Geneva Convention on Road Traffic just states contracting countries must honor each others licenses and may require an IDP. And so far within Thai law the only reference I can find just says a driver in Thailand must be "properly licensed."

Still, it doesn't hurt to have an IDP. Just make sure it's the $5-$15 one that you typically get from the auto club back home and is good for 1 year, and not one of the 5-10 year ones which can be over $100, as they are bogus.

I revieved some documents from the Highway Police which I am still working on translating, plus I am waiting for a couple more conformations/quotes/translations from other police sources. After I'm done I will make a new thread on the topic of IDP's. Thus far 100% of the replies from several major insurance companies and car rental companies have confirmed you do not need an IDP to rent or have insurance claims honored in Thailand if you are still a tourist. In fact it says that right on the Avis, Budget and other car rental websites that all you need is a drivers license. They don't even mention anything about being a tourist or not, but we know legally you have to have a Thai DL to drive if you are a resident (ie have any other visa than a tourist visa or courtesy visa, which is commonly refereed to as a visa exempt stamp).

The oft-quoted Geneva Convention on Road Traffic just states contracting countries must honor each others licenses and may require an IDP. And so far within Thai law the only reference I can find just says a driver in Thailand must be "properly licensed."

Still, it doesn't hurt to have an IDP. Just make sure it's the $5-$15 one that you typically get from the auto club back home and is good for 1 year, and not one of the 5-10 year ones which can be over $100, as they are bogus.

I would be interested in the Police Regulations, but not the car hire company's rules for hiring a car, although I would be interested in whether Viriyah is among the 100% of your replies confirming that you don't need an IDP?.

I hope you're planning to post copies of those replies?

Currently the BiB are blitzing Pattay for m/bike riders without IDPs.

They are not differentiating between Tourists and Residents (how would they?) and I very much doubt that they would be much impressed by anyone arguing that Avis says you don't need one to rent one of their cars :-/

Given that you can drive on your Home DL for up to a year (in 90 day spells) with an IDP, why do you say that "we know legally you have to have a Thai DL to drive if you are a resident (ie have any other visa than a tourist visa or .... a visa exempt stamp)." WHY?

I hadn't noticed anyone quoting the Geneva Convention, but the 1926 & 1949 Convention on IDPs does seem to be alive and kicking so far as the UK's Automobile Association is aware, as well as the Thai and Cambodian Police Forces to my certain knowledge.

I don't think this wants just another person's guess, so much as a credible person's (Lawyer?) proper interpretation.

We can all have a go at it, but the confusion just seems to continue.

If Thailand has exited the Convention, where is the reference to that from any travel advisory source and why is Thailand still issuing IDPs to go alongside Thai DLs?

I just don't have any confidence that you're likely to move this forward I'm afraid.

I know for a UK license you have scooter entitlement. Some but not all transport offices will accept that for thai bike license. But be aware that is on the paper part NOT the plastic license. So make sure you have both.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

There are at least two UN Conventions. Thailand has ratified the oldest one which requires a specific form of translation to be carried with the foreign licence..this is the IDP.

There is a newer convention which has NOT been ratified by Thailand so has no effect here. This eliminates the need for a translation if the original licence is in English but this does not apply here.

The new Thai licence (5 year) is valid in most ASEAN countries. The one year licence is not as it is the equivalent of a Provisional Licence of many countries.

A foreign licence with an IDP can only be used for 90 days as a tourist. The use of it for multiple 90 day periods is problematic and would possibly be a matter for interpretation.

Some home licences allow scooters under 50 cc on a car licence. These are Mopeds.

Here scooters under 50cc and electric scooters do not generally need a licence. THe scooters here are 100 to 150cc and would need a licence at home or here.

Edited by harrry

There are at least two UN Conventions. Thailand has ratified the oldest one which requires a specific form of translation to be carried with the foreign licence..this is the IDP.

There is a newer convention which has NOT been ratified by Thailand so has no effect here. This eliminates the need for a translation if the original licence is in English but this does not apply here.

The new Thai licence (5 year) is valid in most ASEAN countries. The one year licence is not as it is the equivalent of a Provisional Licence of many countries.

A foreign licence with an IDP can only be used for 90 days as a tourist. The use of it for multiple 90 day periods is problematic and would possibly be a matter for interpretation.

Some home licences allow scooters under 50 cc on a car licence. These are Mopeds.

Here scooters under 50cc and electric scooters do not generally need a licence. THe scooters here are 100 to 150cc and would need a licence at home or here.

And yet just on thursday last week my English friend went to Nakhon Pathom transport office and got a thai car and bike license solely on having a UK 2 Part license ( plastic card and paper info sheet)

But at the same office 3 years ago I needed the IDP and they would not give me bike license (but I didn't have paper part)

Maybe things have changed.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

The new Thai licence (5 year) is valid in most ASEAN countries. ..............................................

I had no luck at all in Cambodia trying to use my 5 year Thai DL.

There, as here, they're focussed on you needing an IDP if you don't have their DL.

As said, Chonburi issues Thai IDPs to go with Thai DLs to use in Cambodia etc.

And yet ..............................

The same for me at Pattaya, yet others have been asked for them..

Unfortunately, the reports of exceptions to the rules are endless, but it would still be good to know what the rules are?