Phuket Thrives Once More, But Beware Its Dark Side

webfact

"The island once known as the ''Pearl of the Andaman Sea'' is undergoing a building frenzy with 43,000 hotel rooms open and at least 7000 more units in the pipeline."

Sounds like Phuket is becoming the "sewer of the Andaman Sea"... That's too bad. I have not been in a few years now, sounds like things have changed a lot. Will be there in June. Too bad they can't contain all this garbage in one area like Pattaya. I first went there in 1989, was lovely, Karon only had a few hotels and there was almost no one on the beach during the day as it was not popular... those were the days...

The go go dancers in the photo look Thai to me, not sure where the Russian thing comes from. I can't imagine foreign prostitutes there...

I live in Phuket and I can assure you, Patong is awash with Russian hookers. I only have to take a walk (as a single man) along Patong Beach road or go to any nightclub to be propositioned by numerous Russian hookers. But of course, they want at least 2,500 baht, and won't settle for 1,000 baht like the Thai girls... The Russians are slowly but surely (actually not that slowly) taking over the island, just as they did in Pattaya. Their Mafia are going to go head to head with the Thais before too long. And that'll be nasty. The Russians have already got Pattaya sown up. But the condo building I live in in Phuket, which isn't even in a tourist area, is about 80% full of Russian residents who drive big cars.

It has always surprised me why so many people continue to visit one of the unfriendliest and expensive places in Thailand.

But they do..and just like people will continue to visit Ibiza Blackpool and the rest of the world that's the reality regardless!

Someone has to mop up the emotional mess 'anywhere' when the s..t hits the fan on holiday!Does anyone else have a better alternative?

Who else gets up at 3a.m in the morning to mop up this emotional sh.t that happens??

Stay safe this New Yearx

OK Maybe I am naive. The girls in this picture (the one that you see the face of at least) look content and happy. In my mind one cannot run a successful erotic and sex business if the fun is totally absent, if it is merely a bunch of disillusioned females running around naked with hate in their faces if they dont look at you, as is the case in BKK (what little I know of it). Perhaps Phuket is indeed developing into a holiday spot with live and let live, where beautiful students can hope to pick up a wealthy foreigner, more power to them really, God bless.

According to TVF's resident experts, tourism had collapsed around the country and tourism was dead. intheclub.gif

The swollen numbers in Phuket and the surrounding areas of Krabi, Koh Samui etc., have been so large, that the small national decrease due to the recent flooding has in large part been offset.

Its not just the Australians, but this year, the Russians (typically younger, better groomed and wealthier than their western counterparts) and the Hong Kong Chinese are here in greater numbers. Of more value has been the rebound of Swedish tourists. I haven't seen Swedes in this density for at least a few years. The money that is being churned at some of the bars and restaurants is crazy. The Swedish table next to me dropped about 10,000 baht on food and wine a couple nights ago, while our 2000 baht dinner for 2 looked tame in comparison. Even in a MCD where we stopped for reconstituted chicken bits at 120 baht, the English family of 4 had managed a bill of 1200 baht+

don.t know where you get your info from, Krabi is deserted even the Chinese have left Ao Nang.

Forgive me for saying this and for those who lost love ones in the last tsunami, but I really think that Phuket needs another massive tsunami and hopefully this time, all the local and foreign scum there perish like the jet-ski operators an their families, the taxi and tuk -tul drivers and their families and the unruly local shopkeepers and also the trash farangs there running bars and ag0-go bars, and the various foreign gansgters there.

you're right, place is fast turning into another s*ithole like Pattaya!

Up to 50 Australians a year die on Phuket, half of them from natural causes and the rest from road accidents, misadventure or suicides.

Of course as we all know, farangs are never murdered in Thailand.

I tried to see this SCANTILY clad Russian dancer and feel rather disappointed when I failed to find her. Maybe she is very thin and hiding behind the pole?

Whatever warnings Larry Cunningham gives to tourists and foreign visitors, I doubt if any will take heed, so the scams and the tragic death tolls will continue. Everyone should have knowledge regarding the Jet Ski and motorbike rental scams. I mean, there has been lots of warnings and publicity about it.

For those that visit these places and participate in the local events, do so at their own discretion and risk. This pertains to Australians and everyone else.

All they need to do is be wary and cautious. Never hand over passports and never trust bargirls.

You have been warned.

post-110219-0-69242100-1324914782_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

OK Maybe I am naive. The girls in this picture (the one that you see the face of at least) look content and happy. In my mind one cannot run a successful erotic and sex business if the fun is totally absent, if it is merely a bunch of disillusioned females running around naked with hate in their faces if they dont look at you, as is the case in BKK (what little I know of it). Perhaps Phuket is indeed developing into a holiday spot with live and let live, where beautiful students can hope to pick up a wealthy foreigner, more power to them really, God bless.

Where are all these disillusioned females running around naked?

Please tell me so I can book my flight and join them.

A lot of tourists especially from OZ fly direct to phuket and this gives tuk tuk drivers and jet ski guys an edge. Flying direct there are a lot newbs who think that an indian tailors version of slang is really cool. they happy to pay 150bht for a Tuk Tuk its $5 bucks or so this is NOTHING to them they couldnt care less if it was 300bht since they get to enjoy the experience

Personally if Im not going to the islands then Pattaya is a better choice only 10bht bus, a real walking st and accommodation dirt cheap.

I guess it's your choice in life. Pattaya is a sleazy city, as is Patong. Phuket is an island provence with many cities and the Andaman on it's coast, which is much different than the Gulf of Thailand where Pattaya is located, just down stream from the Chao Phraya River, Bangkok's sewer disposal... Cheaper is not usually better.

Edited by Jimi007

A lot of tourists especially from OZ fly direct to phuket and this gives tuk tuk drivers and jet ski guys an edge. Flying direct there are a lot newbs who think that an indian tailors version of slang is really cool. they happy to pay 150bht for a Tuk Tuk its $5 bucks or so this is NOTHING to them they couldnt care less if it was 300bht since they get to enjoy the experience

I went to the states for xmas, and had no choice but to take a taxi to my brothers house, less than 10 miles ( not more than 15 minutes) away from the airport. $35 (1200 Baht) later......then of course you need to tip at least 15% I gave more, since it was christmas time. Still though, GOUGE!!!!!!

In the states too, 20 minutes to home from airport, somali driver would not stop at whiskey store (no whiskey in my cab)

1900 baht...NO TIP... SUM NUM NA

What a dump.

Yes, you are right.

It seems that most of the Southern Thailand tourist destinations have turned into complete dumps, full of cutthroats, thieves and the lowest of the low.

I think Thailand is rapidly losing it`s reputation as one of the safest, low cost and trusted tourist destinations of the world.

definitely go to the link to read the rest of the story

"Larry Cunningham, Australia's honorary consul" is doing ozzies no favors imo

"Up to 50 Australians a year die on Phuket, half of them from natural causes and the rest from road accidents, misadventure or suicides."

half from natural causes, ya right,

road accidents, by road agents no doubt and "misadventure" is a cause of death? what the hell is that?

and we all know that everybody comes to the LOS for suicide

the expat bodies are piling up in phuket, so it appears

He would be getting his stats and causes of death from the thai authorities after they had conducted a extensive investigationgiggle.gif , I actually think he is doing the Aussies a big favour warning them of Phuket.

Misadventure is going to phuket in the 1st place....

Edited by chooka

What a dump.

Yes, you are right.

It seems that most of the Southern Thailand tourist destinations have turned into complete dumps, full of cutthroats, thieves and the lowest of the low.

I think Thailand is rapidly losing it`s reputation as one of the safest, low cost and trusted tourist destinations of the world.

And the problem there is soon everyone is going to realise that and start heading to the better areas in the north and what happens then is all the thieves, cuthroats and the lowest of low will follow and destroy what is left.

"The island once known as the ''Pearl of the Andaman Sea'' is undergoing a building frenzy with 43,000 hotel rooms open and at least 7000 more units in the pipeline."

Sounds like Phuket is becoming the "sewer of the Andaman Sea"... That's too bad. I have not been in a few years now, sounds like things have changed a lot. Will be there in June. Too bad they can't contain all this garbage in one area like Pattaya. I first went there in 1989, was lovely, Karon only had a few hotels and there was almost no one on the beach during the day as it was not popular... those were the days...

The go go dancers in the photo look Thai to me, not sure where the Russian thing comes from. I can't imagine foreign prostitutes there...

I live in Phuket and I can assure you, Patong is awash with Russian hookers. I only have to take a walk (as a single man) along Patong Beach road or go to any nightclub to be propositioned by numerous Russian hookers. But of course, they want at least 2,500 baht, and won't settle for 1,000 baht like the Thai girls... The Russians are slowly but surely (actually not that slowly) taking over the island, just as they did in Pattaya. Their Mafia are going to go head to head with the Thais before too long. And that'll be nasty. The Russians have already got Pattaya sown up. But the condo building I live in in Phuket, which isn't even in a tourist area, is about 80% full of Russian residents who drive big cars.

why on earth would the sex tourist come to Thailand for Russian prostitutes? Why not go to Russia if that is what you want. Doesn't make sense going to Thailand to enjoy some Russian culture

I just wondering is it so important to notice nationality \ok maybe it is lit bit\but why we all hooking on it ,like russian robber in Phuket and blah blah about things which base only on stereotypes \smt it is so strange ''mama let me be''cant forget comment about Afganistan & thats why russians this or that,,,And gents Pattaya Bkk it seems to me far from real Thailand with it good & not !whats going on here again with dark & bright sides we should share half by half cause farangs did it by own hands -i mean here we want this or that way to buy real respect ,friendship,love & when smbd here catch us on it & blew we start howling.if we want to be blind & think that it is real to get it for moneys whom to blame...burp.gif sorry if bit off topic

I just wondering is it so important to notice nationality \ok maybe it is lit bit\but why we all hooking on it ,like russian robber in Phuket and blah blah about things which base only on stereotypes \smt it is so strange ''mama let me be''cant forget comment about Afganistan & thats why russians this or that,,,And gents Pattaya Bkk it seems to me far from real Thailand with it good & not !whats going on here again with dark & bright sides we should share half by half cause farangs did it by own hands -i mean here we want this or that way to buy real respect ,friendship,love & when smbd here catch us on it & blew we start howling.if we want to be blind & think that it is real to get it for moneys whom to blame...burp.gif sorry if bit off topic

or drunk, what did you say?

Wiping out the tourism industry??? AFTER the Tsunami Phuket became very popular in Europe and everywhere else in the world. But instead keeping the island nice like it was before, they are building building building....Phuket is not nice anymore and has become more like a Calla Millor in Spains Mallorca. If tourists need dirt everywhere they dont have to travel 10-12000km so the Germans, Norwegians, Danish, Sweds and some more European Nations not visit Thailand anymore...instead the travel agents bringing Russians here...Russians Russians Russians where ever you look. Specially in the shopping centers because most of them never visiting Thai Restaurants or Bars, they dont like the ThaiFood and they bring their own ladys (((: ....or they go for the russian "ladys" dancing in Patong...btw...how is that possible??????

Traffic is becoming rediculous THANKS TO THE TUKTUK Mafia with their unbelivable prices here. Why doing 10 rides for a reasonable price like 50 baht if a stupid tourist coming and pay 3-500 for the same way in one time. Every morning an idiot getting up, you just have to find him....

More and more people renting cars now because they had accidents with motobikes already...areas which were quiet just 4-6 years ago are stuck with traffic now.... Pearl of the Andaman?? Phuket is becoming a sh1tehole more and more every day.....

Correct Sir the pearl of the andaman is now the pimple on the a**...well you get the picture. Russian restaurants have been popping up all over the place, signs in russian everywhere you look too and this is all very recent just in the past few months it seems like an invasion. jungceylon seems to be full of men with bad haircuts and short shorts yelling Iphone, ipad at confused Thai staff in powerbuy. I was in 7-11 yesterday and a booming voice from the back yelliing into his phone 'nyet fok that nyet nyet fok this and fok that" hmmm cultures coming together on the pimple of the andaman.

Wiping out the tourism industry??? AFTER the Tsunami Phuket became very popular in Europe and everywhere else in the world. But instead keeping the island nice like it was before, they are building building building....Phuket is not nice anymore and has become more like a Calla Millor in Spains Mallorca. If tourists need dirt everywhere they dont have to travel 10-12000km so the Germans, Norwegians, Danish, Sweds and some more European Nations not visit Thailand anymore...instead the travel agents bringing Russians here...Russians Russians Russians where ever you look. Specially in the shopping centers because most of them never visiting Thai Restaurants or Bars, they dont like the ThaiFood and they bring their own ladys (((: ....or they go for the russian "ladys" dancing in Patong...btw...how is that possible??????

Traffic is becoming rediculous THANKS TO THE TUKTUK Mafia with their unbelivable prices here. Why doing 10 rides for a reasonable price like 50 baht if a stupid tourist coming and pay 3-500 for the same way in one time. Every morning an idiot getting up, you just have to find him....

More and more people renting cars now because they had accidents with motobikes already...areas which were quiet just 4-6 years ago are stuck with traffic now.... Pearl of the Andaman?? Phuket is becoming a sh1tehole more and more every day.....

Correct Sir the pearl of the andaman is now the pimple on the a**...well you get the picture. Russian restaurants have been popping up all over the place, signs in russian everywhere you look too and this is all very recent just in the past few months it seems like an invasion. jungceylon seems to be full of men with bad haircuts and short shorts yelling Iphone, ipad at confused Thai staff in powerbuy. I was in 7-11 yesterday and a booming voice from the back yelliing into his phone 'nyet fok that nyet nyet fok this and fok that" hmmm cultures coming together on the pimple of the andaman.

Well then I guess they should start teaching Russian in schools instead of english as the 2nd language. It appears that Thai's are going to need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not ,China long time ago start to prepare many russ.speaking students & dear Aussie(or it is just picture ?) no need to worry about english & it seems to me if u try to ask somebody who learn or just start with russian lang. , Are they feel great sorrows or regrets & feels time lost-betcha 95%will be -we enjoy it!!!