Cheese Fondue

WinnieTheKhwai

Do any of the culinary gifted people on the forum have some suggestions on which *affordable* ingredients to use in the Chiang Mai area, and where to get it?

The main cheese I would use is probably the Makro shredded cheddar which is very affordable, and some cheap dry wine (suggestions?) but will also need at least one other type of cheese to make the flavor more interesting. Then there's the cherry brandy, not sure if there's a booze substitute that is more popular to actually drink, because I'd use just a little bit of it. But if not then I'll get the cherry brandy, and drink the remainder anyway; alcohol is alcohol.

Thanks!!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Since my family were Swiss they all did a pretty good cheese fondue, but my uncle probably did the best. After rubbing the dish with garlic he added the white wine, a mix of 50% Gruyere and 50% Emmentaler, the Kirschwasser, and if I recall correctly - cornstarch. But the Cheddar could be interesting. I would think it would be very difficult to find Kirschwasser here???

Let us know what cheeses you substitute and how it turns out. I have seen both Gruyere and Emmentaler for sale at the various Rimping branches and one seems to be much cheaper than the other.