Taxi In Chiang Mai..

chuchok

Last night I had a ride in a taxi by a friendly chap called Wiwat.The car was a brand new 4 x 4 japanese car (Can't remember the brand,but it still had the new car smell.) No haggling on price, didn't have to ask him to turn the meter on and it was probably as the same price as a tuktuk.

Wiwats English was quite good and he was so proud to be the only 4x4 Taxi in Thailand...who knows,it could be true! :D

so I thought I would post his details here...

I get 2 satang for every booking he makes from a TV member :o:D

post-11672-1133108074_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuchok

Last night I had a ride in a taxi by a friendly chap called Wiwat.The car was a brand new 4 x 4 japanese car (Can't remember the brand,but it still had the new car smell.) No haggling on price, didn't have to ask him to turn the meter on and it was probably as the same price as a tuktuk.

Wiwats English was quite good and he was so proud to be the only 4x4 Taxi in Thailand...who knows,it could be true! :D

so I thought I would post his details here...

I get 2 satang for every booking he makes from a TV member :D  :D

wow so nice, must try. :o

I used their services extensively last September because of our newly born baby. :D The price was reasonable when they use the meter properly (typically 50- 70 bht around town). However not all of them were honest, and some even tried to add an extra charge of 40 bht when picking up from Robinson store for example. :o Also they tend to often arrive late after you make the call. So basically I recommend them only when convenience is needed. Otherwise the best option remains the red minibus taxi with a charge of 10 to 20 bht to go anywhere in town.

Cheers,

G

:D

P.S. The website TaxiMeterChiangmai.com doesn't point any more to their company.

I used their services extensively last September because of our newly born baby. :D The price was reasonable when they use the meter properly (typically 50- 70 bht around town). However not all of them were honest, and some even tried to add an extra charge of 40 bht when picking up from Robinson store for example. :o Also they tend to often arrive late after you make the call. So basically I recommend them only when convenience is needed. Otherwise the best option remains the red minibus taxi with a charge of 10 to 20 bht to go anywhere in town.

Cheers,

G

:D

P.S. The website TaxiMeterChiangmai.com doesn't point any more to their company.

Interesting.Got to say that I didn't have any problems like that.

Personally, I'm still amazed on how a car worth well over a million baht can charge the same as a tuktuk.It cost us THB45 to go from the Night bizaar to the Irish pub on Ratchawithi rd.A tuktuk late at night normally asks for between THB40-THB80...

Interesting.Got to say that I didn't have any problems like that.

Personally, I'm still amazed on how a car worth well over a million baht can charge the same as a tuktuk.It cost us THB45 to go from the Night bizaar to the Irish pub on Ratchawithi rd.A tuktuk late at night normally asks for between THB40-THB80...

Of course not to the extent to what is like in Bangkok for example.

I think that's the main issue. Because now they are relatively new in this business they need to keep the price a low as possible to compete with the other means of transportation in Chiangmai. However of course the drivers and customers are aware of this, thus some of them ask for more than what's on the meter, thinking that the customer would understand. Personally I don't like it, and always ask for my exact change in this case. On the other hand, when a driver charges me the meter's value, I always give him a tip and appreciate their honesty. It sounds strange, but this is just human psychology!

Cheers,

G

:o

I do the same G - I'm more inclined to tip if I don't feel I'm being overcharged.

I've also had problems with the taxis. They've been great when I've used them - comfortable, clean, good value - but more often than not I've ended up waiting so long that I've had to give up and get a tuk-tuk.

Especially bad was the recent time when my pal called two days in advance for a trip to the airport. He confirmed on the same morning, allowing 30 mins leeway. After 30 mins, still no taxi. Called again, they said they were on the way. After an hour, we bundled him into a Songteaw with 2 suitcases, boxes etc and sent him off. Called the taxi service again, who said they could find our house. Seeing as we live next to a famous temple, we found that a bit rich.

So, use them, encourage the service, but as G said, not if it's urgent.

They've always been ok with me on the four - five times I've used them.

My experience when calling them to go to the airport in the morning, was that they arrived 15 minutes early.

There is an official extra charge for trips outside the superhighway, ringroad one and ringroad two. Can't remember the exact amounts.

I used one to go to the Airport on Friday, arrived on time, 40 baht first click, fare amounted to 55 Baht, very reasonable I thought as I handed him 60Baht, but then he told me there was a 40B surcharge for airport drop offs! So not that impressed really. Still cheaper than those white Limousines though with the pushy salesmen, getting back they wanted to charge me 140B and had not even got a car there! Join a queue! Not bloody likely.

Got a Songtel 2 mins later for 80 B

It's not a 4WD. :-) (At least not as pictured on the card..) It's a 2WD Thairung station wagon (a modified Isuzu truck). I like them as there's loads of space, a perfect vehicle to be a taxi, much better than a Corolla/Altis really.

Only thing is that the suspension needs tweaking.. My wife nearly gave birth prematurely just going back from the airport over the speed bumps... :o

Cheers,

Chanchao